Alot of Big Bucks This Year

Broadside_Shot

Man, there has been a ton of Big General Season Bucks killed this year in Utah.

Is this what we can expect every year because of Option 2?

Nope. You can't expect that out of Option 2 because every one of those bucks shot this year were grown under the Regional buck hunter management. AND every buck to be shot next year was grown under the the regional buck hunter strategy. Talk to us about Micro-buck-management in 2014......

Pot-stirrer-- haha

I have heard alot of people that have associated the amount of bucks they have seen this year with the smaller units and how they think this is going to be a good thing. All I could do was shake my head because they had no clue. I didn't even know where to start

My cousin and i have been obsessive deer watchers since we were both old enough to walk. (those who know us would agree) there are multiple reasons why the deer were so big this year. first off, spring of 2011 was one of the wettest springs regionally in a long while. Wet spring equals lots of vegetation growth meaning plenty of good feed for the wildlife. second factor; winter of 2011 (dec 2011-feb 2012)was one of the mildest winters we had in a long time. less snow equals more access to vegetation grown from the previous spring, which in this case was in abundance. overall meaning the deer had one of the easiest winters to date. easy winter=healthy deer. healthy deer = good antler growth for the upcoming year. We may have had a solid drought year but. the time of year deer are scrounging for vegetation is when its covered in snow during the winter. they will find vegetation during the spring and summer of drought years just fine. its the following winter range that is effected by a drought. Another major factor to this being an amazing year for hunting was the plethora of snowfall during the actual hunt. lots of snow will push deer out of their normal patterns and bring them down lower in elevation where there are more hunters. as well the combination of cold and snow triggers pre rut doe chasing causing alot if bucks to go into "stupid mode" rather than there normal hide and be safe sitting. in short. God couldn't have planned out the seasons better to provide us with such an optimal year for big deer. Now, due to the harsh drought, if we do end up having a bad winter this year, antler growth will suffer and we will be seeing alot less growth next year
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest have been wasted"

I think last years crap weather saved a bunch of bucks. Didn't they also have a shortened rifle season as well in some areas.

I actually think this years option 2 slaughtered a few areas and helped a few other areas out. Broadside knows what i'm talking about when I say slaughtered! i've never seen so many bucks being killed in one day as i saw killed this year on opening day. I didn't even see this many deer killed in one day back into the early 90's.

who farted?

Option 2 will only work if they manage the deer according to the smaller areas.....they didnt even try to manage the deer this first year. What was all the talk last year about possibly cutting 13000 tags? As far as I know there wasnt hardly a cut at all....then selling the leftover archery and muzz tags as rifle? Personally I saw more shooter bucks this year than in years past but I scouted harder and hunted harder than I ever have. I highly doubt it was because of "option 2". It blows me away with how many people just have no clue.....scout and hunt hard and you will find more shooter bucks. Dont leave it up to the DWR to grow more bucks because their history does not support that idea. It will be interesting to see the tag numbers for next year in each seperate unit....i wonder if there will be any tag cuts to properly manage some areas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom