Alternate Tag??

N

Naildriver

Unsuccessful on everything
But....results say I'm #2 on alternate lope tag (lassen 2nd period) 30 tags allocated.
Anyone know the average amount of tags turned back in each yr??
I've been waiting patiently for about 25 yrs

My wife was first alt on an elk hunt last year, my brother, nephew, and friend have all been first alt on elk and antelope hunts, none of them have been able to get those tags, but the person at the DF&G told us that every year someone that is an alt. usually get a tag, so you still have hope!

Don't hold your breath, I was #1 alt. some years back on a archery lope tag, never got the call.As hard as these things are to draw, a guy would have to be 6' under to pull a no show.
Mike

The Grimm Reaper Tag.... lol
is they're a seperate drawing for those or is Iike
"Here you go"... ( you were next but in case
someone's diesl and his family was
kind enough to put a call in about this tag thingy).

It really depends on the hunt. Hunts with fewer tags are obviously more likely to not have tags returned. Hunts with higher tag quotas are more likely to have something come up, got sick, moved out of state, forgot to pay, died, etc. Every year tags get returned but it really does depend on the hunt. Hunts with low quotas are just less likely to have tags returned purely due to statistics/probability. Some time it is the week before the hunt and the person can not go and we will issue it to someone else. Good luck

tuleelk, Thanks for the info!

That might be my only chance right there, a last minute cancellation. There are a quite a few NE General Bull Tags, someone may need to turn their tag back in, and if it's at the very last minute, the other Alternates ahead of me might not be prepared to drop everything or be able to go because of other strong commitments.

Me, one of my best bud's has already got the tag, he's all lined out, and i believe i'd fit right in as we've hunted together in the past. Heck, i'd even go if not notified until after the season began. It doesn't matter to me when i got the nod, i'm self employed and though few or no Elk live right around here, believe i do live within boundaries of the hunt unit.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A friend of mine got a likely table rifle tag a few years ago as second alternate

I was an alternate last year for likely tables archery. Got the call 2 days before opening day. Tag showed up via fed ex opening day morning. At least you have something to hope for, for a few more months!

Just got the form from dfg asking for cc # just in case two hunters fail to get their tags...

It has happened once for a sheep tag (can you imagine?), Sheephole's. A friend of a friend's kid got it. I'm not thinking it is too likely for trophy bull elk potential, especially tule, maybe most likely on something that you can get elsewhere and hunt most any year, like antelope.

A second alternate hunted sheep in ca several years ago........back when there were only 6 tags......statewide

1283eagle_government.jpg

I was a first alternate for the Sheepholes in 2011--no go.

My son is a second alternate for a tule bull tag this year. Turns out, the day after we filled out his paperwork for the tag in case it wasn't bought, a friend already told me that one of his other friends son drew the tag and already paid for it.

I know it happens, just hasn't happened to anyone I know.

Seeing this thread again, i just today mailed in my credit card info just in case a NE Bull tag becomes available. I really don't expect anything to come of my being a alternate but stranger things have happened.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Seeing this thread again, i just
>today mailed in my credit
>card info just in case
>a NE Bull tag becomes
>available. I really don't expect
>anything to come of my
>being a alternate but stranger
>things have happened.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

How many days left till you find out?

How many days left till you find out?

I guess they could notify a alternate as soon as someone, for whatever reason, turns a tag back in or they could wait until right before the season starts.

I won't need much if any advanced notification as i'll already be packed and ready to roll on our local C- zone deer hunt and could easily exchange time from that hunt to one a bit farther north for Elk. Still. as 5th alternate, i doubt i'll be getting a call.

Joey

1st alternate on a Klamath bull tag last year. Sent in my paperwork but never got a call but there were only seven tags or so...

Hopefully you guys will fare better - good luck!

Horniac

Theirs a date tag holders have to have the money in buy for the tag,I don't think you can return tags if they have been paid for,so you guys are just waiting to see if anybody misses that cut off date I think!

6x7, Ok. i was wondering about your question... and if you knew something i didn't and it appears that maybe you do.

Seems to me that even if a tag was paid for and the hunter then couldn't go on the hunt, even closer to the hunt, that they should pass the hunt down to the first available alternate. That's how i'd do it anyway but i'm nor running the show. The little money that is generated from these super limited hunts can't be much in the big picture.

Anybody know more about how this works?

Joey

I fear most people that had already paid for a tag, then couldn't hunt, would not contact F&W (F&G). Either the reason they couldn't hunt was so tramatic they won't even think about it, or they don't care about anybody else.

BUT you never know. IMO being an alternate means you are geting closer to a tag. The odds on that hunt are outrageous though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom