am I wasting my money/time

elkhunter81

So I am a non resident and currently have 4 points for elk. I have been trying to find a unit this year or in the next couple of years that I can have a chance at a bull elk at. From what I am finding, I am in no mans land pretty much. I don't want to wait a lifetime to hunt 1 bull elk. The units I can draw seem to be about as good as a OTC elk hunt from what I can tell this is just an assumption never hunted elk in Colorado before. So for those more seasoned in Colorado elk hunting, should I just cash in my points on any of the units I can draw and focus on OTC for the future. Or am I missing something should I keep digging into all of the information out there.

I'd do it the other way. Start hunting elk now in OTC units while you build points. You'll learn some new country and get the learning curve out of the way. After you draw your limited entry hunt, you can go back to your OTC unit and restart the cycle. No one should hunt elk once.

Well your username is elk hunter so get after it. Do the research and find the areas. While you’re waiting you can still pick up OTC tags and hunt? Kind of a no brainer…

If Wyo goes to 90/10 for e/d/a you can pretty much guarantee that Colo will follow suit in the coming years. As SS mentioned in his post I would draw a tag and go hunting while the getting is good. Things look pretty dismal all across the Western US for DIY nonres hunters and it's likely going to get even worse.

If Wyo goes to 90/10 for e/d/a you can pretty much guarantee that Colo will follow suit in the coming years.
Sorry about the hijack, but I don’t believe that. We barely started shutting off the ridiculous OTC hunts.

As big says, change weapons and change your odds. Archery or muzzleloading.

If you are wanting to draw a tag to shoot a 300 bull, you really are in no man’s land. But if you want a fun hunt and a decent chance to harvest a nice bull, there are options

Truth be told jumping in the rabbit hole of points in Colorado for elk really isn’t all that worth it. Contrary to belief one can kill some pretty damn nice bulls in about any OTC across the state. Especially if you put your time into learning them and hunting them consistently.

It is an expensive game collecting preference points as a non-resident. Make sure you have a solid plan, especially with the changing ratios on resident/non-resident tags and rising wolf populations.

With 4 pts, just pick a unit that has country that interests you and go hunt it. No magic bullet at the OTC/low point level and you will never (or maybe just once in your late life) catch up to a high demand unit.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom