Amy: Carrying ALL required permits!

elkfromabove

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-15 AT 10:22AM (MST)[p]Amy, Since you are going to include several explanations regarding Antlerless Elk Control Permits, additional opportunity antlerless deer and elk permits, and two-doe deer and pronghorn permits in the new regulations, it might be prudent to also include the requirement that the hunter also carry the qualifying buck or bull permit, whether or not the tag has been used. This way, any CO can determine if the hunter is legally using the antlerless permit in the right area, with the right weapon, at the right time! I wouldn't think this would have to go through the RAC/Wildlife Board system and would just be a matter of administering the new regulations. The Extended Archery hunts require the hunter to carry both a permit and a certificate of passing the online Extended Archery course and this would be no different.

We regularly use the terms "permit" and "tag" interchangeably, but, in fact, as you know, they are two different legal documents that are numbered the same and are attached only for convenience of administering. Many, if not most, hunters think they are just one document and you were regularly asked about hunting the antlerless permit after harvesting the buck or bull and detaching the tag from the buck/bull permit, thus the explanation in the new regulations. May I also suggest that you attach a sidebar in the proclamations explaining the above information. I think it would be helpful. (As if you didn't have enough to do already!)

Thanks,
Lee Tracy
United Wildlife Cooerative

>I'm going to need a separate
>pack just for all the
>tags I'll have next year!
>

Well, if you're the luckiest, wealthiest and most ambitious sportsman in Utah, you'll have the following harvest tags; 3 deer tags, 4 elk tags, 2 antelope tags, 1 moose tag, 1 bison tag, 1 RM Bighorn tag, 1 Desert Bighorn tag, 1 RM goat tag, 1 cougar tag, 1 bear tag, 2 turkey tags, 2 sage grouse tags, 2 sharptail grouse tags, 1 crane tag, 1 swan tag, 6 bobcat tags and 1 Marten tag (That's 31). Plus the following COR's, licenses, certificates and info as needed; hunting or combo license, bear pursuit tag, cougar pursuit tag, Fed Duck Stamp, Extended Archery Certificate, clean boat certificate, disability COR, COR for transporting game in or out of the state, COR for donating or receiving donated game parts, Falconry COR's, written permission to hunt on private property, concealed gun carry license, and maybe even a green card!

Now, if you're also a fisherman, you'll have a Utah fishing license (or combo), a reciprocal Wyoming and Arizona fishing license and a boat license(?). I probably missed something, but, yes, you'll need a separate pack! :)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-15 AT 05:36AM (MST)[p]But wouldnt you need to turn the phone to use the app?? When I go on a Hunting Trip, I leave my phone on the charger.... in my Bedroom at HOME! LOL

Edit: If I had it with me and turned on, The real World would , without a doubt call me. .... HEII NO!

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-15
>AT 05:36?AM (MST)

>
>But wouldnt you need to turn
>the phone to use the
>app?? When I go on
>a Hunting Trip, I leave
>my phone on the charger....
> in my Bedroom
>at HOME! LOL
>
>Edit: If I had it with
>me and turned on, The
>real World would , without
>a doubt call me. ....
>HEII NO!

And how many phones have been lost or broken or gotten wet? Additionally, deep canyons, thick timber, bad weather and dead batteries sometimes take their toll on electronic communications. Also the law calls for WRITTEN permission to hunt private property. And how do you tag an animal with a phone? I, for one, am appreciative of still being able to have hard copies!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-15 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]Where I hunt or fish the phone doesn't get a signal, but the permits are still retrievable. Would come in handy if you forgot your wallet while fishing. For example, this year I filled my archery elk tag. Since I could still try to fill my muzzy cow tag during archery season, all I would need in the field is paper cow permit and tag. No need to carry combo and archery elk permit on me, just show my phone app if needed. Same with "walk-in" permit.

It would be a real burden (in more ways than one) to carry all those licenses and permits!
I suppose it's way better to know what needs to be on one's person than find out the hard way with a ticket.
Good idea.

Zeke

The DWR App is only good for permits that don't require you to actually tag a animal. Besides being common sense its written in the App itself. Again though, even I you have your combo license downloaded on the app and you're out duck hunting DWR will require your duckstamp which has to be applied to your license and signed. so be careful

I hate all the paper copies that must be carried. I wish they would stream line it a bit and print all license info on one copy. Every time you get a new license it can have all of your licenses information listed. So basically you have one paper copy that would include all licenses you have.
Of course you would still have to have individual tags.

Thanks for the suggestions, Lee. In the near-final draft of the 2016 Utah Big Game Application Guidebook, we've included the following statement in the box that focuses on the app: Please remember that licenses are different from permits. If you have a permit for a big game hunt, you must carry it with you while hunting.

I know you're also proposing that people carry any other qualifying permits with them. I'll share your thoughts with our guidebook team as we work on the 2016 Big Game Field Regulations Guidebook this spring. Thanks for thinking about this issue and sharing your suggestions!

Amy

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom