An old friend coming home...

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Some of you probably remember me talking about the first rifle i ever bought with my own money, a first production year Rem 700 ADL in 25-06.

I bought the rifle in 1969. I spent my summer bucking hay from the field stacked into the Barn for $.05 a bale. By mid summer, i ordered up the rifle and straight 6 power Redfield scope from a little sporting goods store on the edge of Livermore Ca.

Back in those days, ammo wasn't too expensive and i was always working on the ranch so i had money to buy ammo and shot this rifle quite a bit. Blackbirds swinging in the breeze while perched on a mustard plant was a favorite target. Had to time the swing but more times than not, there was a big puff of black feathers at the shot. Ground squirrels, quarters, crows, jack rabbits, and most else in those hills at the time, all got attention from me and my rifle.

Deer all the sudden became easy targets when before with the ol Winchester 94 30-30 long tom, any deer within easy distance had at least a 50-50 chance of dodging the bullet. With the new gun though, i became not only a hard hunter but a good hard hunter that hardly ever missed and the word was around that joey and his new rifle were going to be a team to recon with both in the field and at the Rod and Gun Club that my Family belonged to for many years. The rifle was a natural shooter by anyone's standards.

As was the usual, anytime there was a birthday in the Family, friends and family would gather up at the ranch i grew up on. The Gals would be in the kitchen of the ol ranch house and us men, i was still a kid really, would gather out in the yard where we had a bench set up and hundreds of ground squirrels to shoot at. Long story short, i won a fair amount on side bets with that 25-06 and my Uncle Mike paid attention to that as his Winchester model 88 in .308 was giving him problems and more missed deer than he cared for me to talk about.

Some years later, i just had to have a new fancy wood stocked Weatherby mark 5 in .257 Weatherby Magnum. Once i had the Weatherby in hand, my Uncle Mike was quick to inquire of my plans for my 25-06 to which i asked if was interested in buying it. I sold it to him cheap and to this day, i have always regretted selling that very first great shooting rifle of mine.

About 11 months ago, my Uncle Mike passed away. He had hundreds attend his services and many also came up to the ranch BBQ afterward to which i also attended. A few weeks ago, my Auntie called and asked if there was something of Uncle Mikes that i would like to have... She just now called me back and after checking with my Cousins, they were all for me getting this most precious, to me, rifle back in my hands. Uncle Mike hunted it from the day he got it but he never really put very many rounds down the tube. He always reminded me though, of just how good a shooting that rifle was and was proud of that fact.

Well, it is coming home. I am feeling awful Blessed!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Pretty awesome story there Joey. Nice the rifle is coming back home and with a bit more character. I can imagine the anticipation to get this gem in your hands renewing how it felt in your hands from days gone by.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Great story except for the passing of your uncle. I know I will not need to tell you to never let that rifle leave your hands again. I am sure there is someone in the family that will get it when it comes time for you to pass it on to someone who will cherish it and the memories.

RELH

Makes you think a little. About things I mean. Family and the things they share and enjoy together.

Thanks for the story.

You betcha guys, my pleasure, Thanks!!

There is a lot of anticipation in getting this rifle scope combo back. It was the perfect Blacktail rifle setup for me back then and it may be again. I was planning on a new barrel for one of my other hunters but now i'm thinking of holding off and planning to do any of my Buck hunting in the near future with the ol 25-06.

I could pick it up today if i was 230 miles down toward Livermore way. I don't really have plans to go there though until sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I guess that will be soon enough. I sold that rifle to my Uncle, i think it was 1978, 35 years ago, i guess another month or so wait won't be too bad.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

That rifle will be a treasured item and it will now belong to some one that really appreciates the sentimental value. Good to hear that family recognized that it belonged with you.

My grandpa always had his Colt peacemaker in the holster sitting on the dashboard of his old beat up truck, and I always associated that pistol style with my Grandpa. When he passed and I was asked if there was anything sentimental that I wanted of course the only thing I could think about was that Colt. My grandpa had a lot of guns and sadly they were all given to his son. Years later I heard my uncle sold off all the guns with out telling any family.

Glad to hear that you will give that rifle a good home Sage

Thanks Guys!! I'm still giddy When i think of this rifle coming home.

My Uncle, married my Dad's little Sister, loved to hunt deer. He had full run of our ranch as well as being a member of N-3 Cattle co, a huge ranch/hunting concern of near 100,000 acres. When a teen and staying up the ranch, i loved it when my Uncle would call to see if i was up for a ride. He was way overweight but had one of the best personalities, plus he was a very sharp business man, always on the lookout for a deal on a piece of land or equipment, or the many other ways to make a smart mans dollar.

So Uncle Mike would stop at the ranch house to pick me up. His rig was a Porsche powered dune buggy that could easily go anywhere we cared to go. Right off, he'd call me Hogan to get me laughing and though we were set for a evening of hunting lots of country on our private roads and there were usually plenty of serious moments, the laughter kept up right to when he'd drop me back off at the Ranch when he'd visit Grandma for a bit and then drive back on down to town.

He bought both his Son and Daughter Brand new Water trucks when they got their drivers lic's. They both made a lot of money, bought their first homes before 21, working those trucks during their Summers and then by renting them out during the wild fire season. Mike was a top notch scraper operator they say. He held the same job with the same co. from the day he returned from the military to the day he retired, a wealthy man by most standards.

Years ago, Mike was the one in my family that i'd go to for advice. I could'a used spending even more time around my Uncle Mike. RIP!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom