Antelope 63 or 66

WITUfan

I am hoping with the seasons going on and antelope on people's minds, it is a good time to ask this question. I know it is a long time until next season, but I don't think it is ever too early to start planning.

I have a friend with 2 antelope preference points. He has never been antelope hunting and might be willing to take me along. I am by no means an expert, but at least I have been a couple of times. With the special drawing and his points, I think we should be able to get into either 63 or 66. I went to 63 this year with my Dad. We both took average bucks (great to us - it was his first and my second buck). With that, I know a bit about the unit. However, I know some folks on here have expressed concern about the future of the unit as the number of tags issued this year has gone up dramatically.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether we would be better to look at 63 or 66 for next year? Does anyone have experience with both units, or just with one of the other you might share? Also, if there is some unit that I am overlooking with one point that you would be willing to PM some info about, that would be great too! I am not looking for locations to hunt in any unit, just general, unit-wide impressions.

Thanks. I really appreciate the knowledge the group on this forum has and is willing to share with rookies like me.

>I am hoping with the seasons
>going on and antelope on
>people's minds, it is a
>good time to ask this
>question. I know it
>is a long time until
>next season, but I don't
>think it is ever too
>early to start planning.
>
>I have a friend with 2
>antelope preference points. He
>has never been antelope hunting
>and might be willing to
>take me along. I
>am by no means an
>expert, but at least I
>have been a couple of
>times. With the special
>drawing and his points, I
>think we should be able
>to get into either 63
>or 66. I went
>to 63 this year with
>my Dad. We both
>took average bucks (great to
>us - it was his
>first and my second buck).
> With that, I know
>a bit about the unit.
> However, I know some
>folks on here have expressed
>concern about the future of
>the unit as the number
>of tags issued this year
>has gone up dramatically.
>
>Does anyone have any opinions on
>whether we would be better
>to look at 63 or
>66 for next year?
> Does anyone have experience
>with both units, or just
>with one of the other
>you might share? Also,
>if there is some unit
>that I am overlooking with
>one point that you would
>be willing to PM some
>info about, that would be
>great too! I am
>not looking for locations to
>hunt in any unit, just
>general, unit-wide impressions.
>
>Thanks. I really appreciate the
>knowledge the group on this
>forum has and is willing
>to share with rookies like
>me

You saw what 63 has now...average, its sad what has happened there. Between the die off this winter and the tag alotments, average is about all you can expect. I have never been to 66 but if I were in your spot I would consider a unit in that area that doesn't have a huge tag number like 74. Its a 100% draw with your points in the special and you would have a better chance at a bigger buck there where they don't kill every average buck that sticks his head out of the sage.

I also talked to a guy who hunted 63 this year and helped his brother hunt 32. He said he was more impressed by 32, so take that for what its worth.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom