Antelope 67, 68, vs 114

K

ktmrider2a

Planning to do a father, son, grandfather hunt this year for WY Antelope. Our points averaged going into the draw will be 6.33. We can't hunt until the second week of October so those dates also eliminate some areas from consideration.

We can draw 67,68, or 53 in the regular fee draw or we could also draw 114 type 1 in the "special" higher priced draw. All these areas have good public access according to Wyoming G&F.

Units 67, 68 are 300 tags each and unit 114 is only 50 tags. I suppose my primary questions would be is 114 worth the extra $ to hunt an area with a lower quota? Is the hunt quality in these 3 areas similar enough that it's just a toss up?

Also, would there be any problems with migratory Antelope moving out of any of these areas by the second week of Oct?

Any input from someone that has experience in these areas would be much appreciated. I'm an AZ resident and if you need any advice for my state just let me know.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]I know 114 like the back of my hand and I would not even put in for the regular type 1 draw. The bulk of the goats in 114 are now in the type 2 tag area on private land to the far west side of the unit where the type 1 tag is not valid. This is a good example of a unit that looks great on a map as far as accessible public land because 90% of it is BLM, but you need animals to hunt to fill a tag and the bulk just aren't there for the most part the last few years because of the drought. I also was told by a local friend last week that the area biologist is going to request a big cut in the type 2 tags this year because of the large number of animals taken last year in that irrigated type 2 tag area. They are no longer there now to go back out into the badlands even if the moisture improves, which it gradually has since Spring of last year. I would agree with the above and go with 67 of the units you mentioned.

I know a couple guys who hunted 68 last year. They were very happy with the quantity and quality.

Eel

Never hunted in 68 or 114 but have hunted 67 a couple of times with my sons and we had a great time ,saw lots of antelope.

Are you camping or staying in a hotel?

If hotel, 67 gets you closer to civilization (Lander or Riverton).

I think I would go 67 for a better experience, but I think 68 may give you a shot of a higher end buck. I don't think you really can go wrong with either and will have an awesome hunt with the family with lots of lopes to look at and stalk. Take a bunch of pictures!

If you have 6.33, it sounds like two have 6 and one 7 or perhaps one has 8? If one has 8, you could possibly split up your tags and one could hunt a more "premier" unit on the special.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The plan at this point is to tow the camper up there. Would like to have my son spend some quality time in camp with his grandfather. Just need a solid road in the unit to get it in there and out of there.

Dad is 84 and still gets around pretty good but we do need fairly moderate terrain. He's not going to be doing any 5 mile death marches.

Sounds like we can have a great hunt in both 67 and 68 with very few access issues.

Possibly leaning to 67 because we are hunting 2nd week of October.

I should draw 67 antelope this year and had a question on the roads. Are quads or a side by side recommended or will a full size 4x4 truck work ok? We don't want to get there and find if it rains that the truck suffers and wish we had our quads to get around. Thanks for any help. Louie

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-14 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]I should draw 67 antelope this
>year and had a question
>on the roads. Are
>quads or a side by
>side recommended or will a
>full size 4x4 truck work
>ok? We don't want
>to get there and find
>if it rains that the
>truck suffers and wish we
>had our quads to get
>around. Thanks for any
>help. Louie

***A quad is the perfect way to get around all the legal roads and two tracks out there, especially when the weather gets hairy. I'd definitely take one if you can, as it's cheaper to use and saves on wear & tear on a bigger truck. If the weather cooperates and you can use your truck in certain areas, then you've got both scenarios licked! You will need a Wyoming ATV license for it and here is the link to buy that $15 sticker:

http://travel.wyo-park.com/Campgrounds-and-RV-Parks/All/Wyoming-Department-of-State-Parks/Permits

Topgun - would the type 2 tag be worth putting in for to hunt 1 or 2 does and possibly draw a buck tag as well? The regs state within a 1/2 mile of irrigated land. Do the private landowners welcome hunters because of the past depredation?
It looked like a unit where I could take my dad and have a fun hunt chasing both does and bucks. High quality is not our aim on this hunt, but fun and easier terrain is.
Would this be worth the trip from SE Idaho?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-14 AT 11:45AM (MST)[p]>Topgun - would the type 2
>tag be worth putting in
>for to hunt 1 or
>2 does and possibly draw
>a buck tag as well?
>The regs state within a
>1/2 mile of irrigated land.
>Do the private landowners welcome
>hunters because of the past
>depredation?
>It looked like a unit where
>I could take my dad
>and have a fun hunt
>chasing both does and bucks.
>High quality is not our
>aim on this hunt, but
>fun and easier terrain is.
>
>Would this be worth the trip
>from SE Idaho?

***What you are talking about is definitely doable and you could probably get free access to shoot does. However, I don't know that you could get free access for bucks, but some calls to area ranchers/farmers out there could find that out. The Type 2 license is for either sex and would be a separate application from the Type 6 doe tags. You could draw one and not the other since they are separate draws, but there is a box you can check on the doe tag application that takes you out of that draw if you have put in for the Type 1 or 2 tag and don't get drawn for it. If you put in for the draws before 5PM Mountain time on Monday, the 17th, you'll then have until June 3 to withdraw or modify either of the applications if you change your mind or can't get set up on some private properties. I'd go ahead and put in for them because it will take some time to get set up on a place or two and if it doesn't work out then just withdraw and all you'll be out is the application fees. Call the G&F Office in Cody to see if you can get a list of ranchers that will allow access. Here is a link right on the G&F webiste for last year and there are a number of contacts for 114 you can call and all show free access for does. Click on this link and then click on the Cody region to the left to bring them all up. I'd do that for all of them before even calling the Cody Office.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmHunterAssistanceDetail.aspx

Thanks for the info and the insight that type 2 is an either sex hunt. I was blind to the any antelope verbage. I have looked through the draw odds and harvest for the last 3 years. They killed a lot of goats off that unit last year. Even with a reduction in tags we should still be able to draw doe tags and maybe a buck tag. Will this unit be a zoo with most hunts congregated around the ag lands?Thanks for the advice.

>Thanks for the info and the
>insight that type 2 is
>an either sex hunt. I
>was blind to the any
>antelope verbage. I have looked
>through the draw odds and
>harvest for the last 3
>years. They killed a lot
>of goats off that unit
>last year. Even with a
>reduction in tags we should
>still be able to draw
>doe tags and maybe a
>buck tag. Will this unit
>be a zoo with most
>hunts congregated around the ag
>lands?Thanks for the advice.

***Check my post above as I was adding to it while you were posting your response. It might be zoo if it was public land, but since we're talking private properties they will control the numbers on each place. I'd still probably skip the first few days and maybe things will be more to your liking though.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom