Antelope Area 70

badlander

I am looking at picking up a couple of antelope doe tags, the G&F website labels this unit with an asterik as a unit that has difficult public access. I have the Shirley Basin BLM map, and it appears that there is a large block of public land in the southern half of this unit, and it APPEARS accessable?

Is there something that I am missing looking at the BLM map? Thanks for any information?

I was just reviewing the regs and also am looking at this unit. Based on the maps the south end is all public. But, does it hold any antelope I don't know?? I did a Google Earth and it appears to look "right" for goats but not sure. I drove by there last year on the way home and did see plenty of antelope but i don't know if it was 70 or further west on the unit over.

I mistakenly put in for this area last year ( drank too many beers while filling out my online app.) and filled my tag in 20 minutes. Take 220 south past alcova, turn right on CR 319 drive 100 yards and start shooting. Easy tag fill there. If you keep driving north on 319 it's a nice little drive with a little more of a challenge in the hunt.( a bit more hilly)Just remember 319 is the western edge of that area, so only shoot to the right if your headed north. Thats the are GW Shawn out of the Casper field office sent me, and he was right. If you run into him over there, stop and chat, one of the niciest officers I ever met, and he'll help you with any questions you have. Good luck.

Thanks for the great info. If someone hunted around, what could one expect as far as horn size, any chance at finding one in the 14+ inch range??

Don't see that being a problem. I ran into four guys from Cali on 319 3 of them had bucks right at 14 inches. They had been there one day and were planning on heading back. They were all road hunting. That southern entrance of 319 is a combo of state land and wma. Get the map on Fish and game website. I believe there is a wma section of 8,000 acres and one of 12,000 acres plus state and fed land. It will open your eyes to that hunt area. Good luck.

>Don't see that being a problem.
>I ran into four guys
>from Cali on 319 3
>of them had bucks right
>at 14 inches. They had
>been there one day and
>were planning on heading back.
>They were all road hunting.
>That southern entrance of 319
>is a combo of state
>land and wma. Get the
>map on Fish and game
>website. I believe there is
>a wma section of 8,000
>acres and one of 12,000
>acres plus state and fed
>land. It will open your
>eyes to that hunt area.
>Good luck.
Thank you much for the info.

We hunted 70 a few years back and there was a ranch on the south end that required a modest trespass fee back then. The boundaries were not well defined so we just paid the fee and ended up killing two of our 3 on that property. I don't know what it is like now. We also saw lots of 11"-12" bucks but the bigger ones were few and far between, which is common anywhere. It seemed like the bigger antelope hung out across the road in 72. For what that is worth.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom