antelope caliber?

adirondack

Taking my wife on her first hunt. I'am wondering if a 22-250 is enough gun for goats as I already have one or should I buy a new gun for her? If a new gun is abetter bet than what would a good pick be for deer & goats for a woman?

IMO a 22-250 is large enough to harvest an antelope, I shot a high 70's buck with my 220 swift this year in Utah and he didn't go 10 feet. I shot a muley doe several years ago with the same gun she went about 15 yards. However Wyoming requires a minimum .24 caliber to hunt big game. Check the regs before using that small caliber.

I would go buy a 270. Nice flat shooting gun that can reach out a few hunderd yards. Great gun for antelope and deer.

I use a 280rem with handloaded 150gr Sierra Gamekings. I've found this to be a good combination to buck the winds & i usually drop them in their tracks. Most any flat shooting caliber such as a 25-06 will work just fine.

7 Mag

Savage 25.06 last year got me three Antelopes in two states and only fired three shots.....again thank you RELH for the advice it worked. Will be using it for Deer too hopefully this year.
Brian

2yy7c76.jpg

adirondack, What guns do your currently own. Maybe one of those will do just fine.

243 is hard to beat for little recoil and flat shooting. Great rifle for a lady or youngster. Not that it is only for them, because I have used the two I own on a few game myself. Great fun gun to shot!!!

If I had a positive cash flow as opposed to negative I'd own a 240 Weatherby Mag. just for antelope. I actually don't know why WY doesn't allow the upper 22 cal rifles for them. I think antelope go down pretty easily when you let the air out of those huge lungs.

Pat C.

Thanks for your thoughts on calibers. I have never been to WY so I have not read up on the laws yet. But now that you guys have educated me alittle, I guess I need to go buy my wife a new gun. Thanks again.

I bought my daughter a 7mm/08 last year. A little bigger than the 243 and not much more recoil. A good all around caliber. A little lite for elk but would still serve.

My wife and daughter love the .257 Roberts and Ackley. 25-06 is good too. 7X57 and 7MM-08 are both good low recoil calibers as well.

Phantom Hunter

I have shot a couple of antelope with a .243win. It is a very good gun for antelope. They are not that hard to kill if you hit them good. It is also and excellent caliber for ladies and youth.

I shot my antelope last year using a 6mm-284 at 547 yds and never new what hit him. Any caliber she feels comfortable shooting would be fine for goats.

Bought my daughter a Remington 7mm/08 and had the stock Hydrodipped pink camo! Also had a Vias muzzle brake installed, NO recoil at all.

8534p1010369.jpg

That a nice Gun. Looks like a pretty good setup.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

"+1 on the 7mm-08. I think its a great starter rifle.

+2, As well as a great starter, I think it would also be a great last rifle as well. A light weight 7mm-08 has been on my "list" for quite some time!!

What's not to like about a factory 140gr bullet @ 3000 FPS?? Hornady LM's!

Joey

we drew our tags 90-1. Found a used youth model 7 like new at my local gun shop. 7mm-08 Thanks for all the input it helped.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom