Antelope Decoy's

AntlerAddict

First off i'd like to say this is my first post on this forum, I've lurked for awhile and finally decided to make an account and i'm glad there's people who are willing to help others.

My question being if anyone has used some of the decoys offered from Montana Decoy, Ultimate Predator, or Be The Decoy and had very good success using them. I finally drew a limited entry pronghorn tag here in Utah and while it's an any weapon hunt i'd like to try to kill one with my bow.

I forget people in Utah shoot first and ask questions later. That being said, most decoys have an option that has orange on the horns or somewhere on the decoy I'm more or less asking if they work not.

No help from me on the decoys, but I also drew the LE Buck Antelope tag for any weapon. Non res draw and drew Nine Mile Anthro-Myton. What unit did you draw?
Justin

>No help from me on the
>decoys, but I also drew
>the LE Buck Antelope tag
>for any weapon. Non res
>draw and drew Nine Mile
>Anthro-Myton. What unit did you
>draw?
>Justin

Resident San Rafael North. I'm not familiar with your unit but hopefully you can put a stud on the ground!

Not antelope, but I drew a LE archery elk, and I plan on purchasing a cow elk decoy. If used correctly, it seems to me that it could help.

I've found that decoys work well enough to bring animals close enough for a bow, but only during the rut which happens during the archery season. And only if they don't see you! (It also helps to use an antelope call.)

However, decoys can bring them close enough for a rifle shot almost anytime, even if they see you, as long as you keep a profile that's lower than they are. But even waving a white cloth/hanky/sock will do that and it's much safer.

Of course, nothing is 100% guarantee under all circumstances! Some are more spooky than others. AND you have to fool the does too!
Have fun, it's a ball trying to fool them, even with the stickers and rattlesnakes! :)

>I've found that decoys work well
>enough to bring animals close
>enough for a bow, but
>only during the rut which
>happens during the archery season.
>And only if they don't
>see you! (It also helps
>to use an antelope call.)
>
>
>However, decoys can bring them close
>enough for a rifle shot
>almost anytime, even if they
>see you, as long as
>you keep a profile that's
>lower than they are. But
>even waving a white cloth/hanky/sock
>will do that and it's
>much safer.
>
>Of course, nothing is 100% guarantee
>under all circumstances! Some are
>more spooky than others. AND
>you have to fool the
>does too!

One thing you might try is to use the decoy at a waterhole. Set the decoy near the waterhole and build or set up a blind in the brush/weeds/cattails with some hunter orange on the blind. Then wait and wait and wait some more! (Bring a book or device to keep you occupied, if need be. And bring your binoculars!)

>Have fun, it's a ball trying
>to fool them, even with
>the stickers and rattlesnakes! :)
>

>>I've found that decoys work well
>>enough to bring animals close
>>enough for a bow, but
>>only during the rut which
>>happens during the archery season.
>>And only if they don't
>>see you! (It also helps
>>to use an antelope call.)
>>
>>
>>However, decoys can bring them close
>>enough for a rifle shot
>>almost anytime, even if they
>>see you, as long as
>>you keep a profile that's
>>lower than they are. But
>>even waving a white cloth/hanky/sock
>>will do that and it's
>>much safer.
>>
>>Of course, nothing is 100% guarantee
>>under all circumstances! Some are
>>more spooky than others. AND
>>you have to fool the
>>does too!
>
>One thing you might try is
>to use the decoy at
>a waterhole. Set the decoy
>near the waterhole and build
>or set up a blind
>in the brush/weeds/cattails with some
>hunter orange on the blind.
>Then wait and wait and
>wait some more! (Bring a
>book or device to keep
>you occupied, if need be.
>And bring your binoculars!)
>
>>Have fun, it's a ball trying
>>to fool them, even with
>>the stickers and rattlesnakes! :)
>>

Thanks for the helpful information, I've heard of flagging them with a white cloth as well and didn't know the success on that either, luckily Utah?s antelope hunt runs during the rut so I feel like I could do well, that being said if I see a toad he's gonna see some lead haha. Antelope hunting by far is one of the funnest hunts you can do so I'm pretty excited!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom