Antelope extra horn on nose ?

foundation

Very Active Member
I got this buck a few years ago , and he had a weird little horn on the bridge of his nose . When I capped him I thought I might find some thing like a old injury or some thing weird on the skull , but it all looked normal .

Any body else seen extra little things like this growing some where on a antelope ? Just a guess on my part , but I figured maybe it was like a cow lick or swirl where the hair grew and it formed this growth .
5503nose.jpg

7804noses.jpg

By the way I know that wallpaper sucks , and is straight from the 80's . I just havent had the time to remodal the family room .

I shot an antelope years ago that also had a horn on the bridge of his nose. It was less pronounced than that picture but I have seen it. The horn on my goat was approximatly an inch long and about a quarter inch in hieght. I also have seen a few goats that we have done the taxidermy on with extra horn growths around the ears and scent glands. I am not sure why it happens.

Got one hanging in my living room that has bone on the nose. Not quite as pronounced as yours, though.

Have several from WY that have anywhere from 1-3 of them. Interesting and kind of unique. I thought it was weird the first time I saw them as well.

A few years back one of our friends killed a buck with the same thing. A horn growing out if its nose. Talked to a local Taxi and he said that it is a past injury that the buck may of had mainly crossing fences. He said their vision in not very good when a fence wire is in front of them. Its a barbed wire cut that they had in the past.

Elksniper that actually does make sense or in any case is a possible reason why that growth is there .

Glad to hear that its not some super rare weird alien growth . LOL .

I've shot one antelope that had an extra horn behind the main horn one time as well as one last year in New Mexico with a horn growing from the nose.

I dont believe the horn is formed from an injury, but could be wrong about that.

You can see the horn growing from the nose in this photo:

IMG_3671.JPG

A close up:

IMG_3687.JPG

4846100_0732.jpg

4022100_0733.jpg

This is a buck from 2009 in Wyoming that had a 4 4/8 inch extra from the base of his left horn, he also had a 1/2 inch one started on his right side, and a small one started on the bridge of his nose. The F&G took pictures and said that it was a throw back and that a small % that came through the check station had one of the three but was rare to have all three like this buck.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 12:36?PM (MST)

I shot a buck last year that had four horns. There were 2 smaller horns about 2 1/2" long behind the normal horns. I didn't even realize it until I walked up to it. When I caped it out the 2 smallest horns had bone sticking up into them just like normal horns.

80freak_1.jpg

9755freak_2.jpg

I'll be those extra horns add quite a bit to the "gross" score! LOL

Cool looking critters! Thanks all for sharing your cool trophies.

Live and learn. I had no idea it was that common.

Zeke

The extra horn is in their DNA from the past. Antelope use to have a horn on their nose and also short spikes behind their horns. Over millions of years the second set of horns went away. But the nose horn still appears on Antelope. Normally, it's just growing on the hide and not attached to the bone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom