Antelope horn shrinkage

khensley

What can a person expect for shrinkage during the mandatory drying period......and then twice that? Buddy killed a very nice NV antelope this year that we and the taxidermist taped at 83 inches. Then, for reasons yet to be explained, the taxi didn't return a call or email for weeks and weeks, and finally had the antelope scored after approximately 120 days. The official score was just under 79. He did ask that a picture of the antelope be sent to him to confirm it was the right one (a little scary in itself, but glad he confirmed it).

Four inches seems like an awful lot of shrinkage? We're all still ticked it went that long past the 60 days, but probably wouldn't have made the book after 60 anyway.

kh

4" of shrinkage is obviously 2" per side. Divided by 4 mass measurements and that is 1/2" of shrinkage at each mass measurement. It's pretty hard for me to believe that each mass measurement would shrink 1/2" each in 120 days? Something seems a little fishy to me?

There are quite a few things that get overlooked when measuring antelope horns. For example, the LONGEST horn length is used to figure out where on the horn each qtr mass measurement is taken. Also, where on the horn are you starting and ending the the length measurement...and how are you stringing the tape for length? These 2 things can raise the quarter measurements dramatically. Obviously the higher on the horn each qtr measurement is taken the lower the score.

Prong length is another difficult measurement. The starting point is where a straight edge hits the back of each horn and this is often NOT the mid point on the back of the horn.

If you are 100% sure you measured correctly I would definitely say your taxidermist measured the wrong buck! About the most shrinkage I have ever seen is around 1/2-1" total..especially in only 120 days.

Do you happen to have any photos of your antelope? I could tell in a flash whether your buck is 79 or 83 by looking at pics taken of the horns from several directions/angles. I'm sure quite a few others on this site would be more than willing to guess on the score if you post some pics? Whether your buck is 79 or 83...congrats! You got a dandy buck!

that is not at all unusual....I'd be willing to bet that the taxi removed them from the horn cores and left them off for most of that time.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I think antelope shrink way more than any other animal. My son killed a buck in WY 2 years ago - I scored it at 85-2/8" (gross, no deductions) the day it was killed - I've scored lots of antelope and usually hit it within 2/8" or so of what official scorers do = it netted 82-2/8" B&C official after 60 days. It shrunk in length 2/8" on each horn and 1/8" to 2/8" on all the other measurements.

Anyone that says they shot an 80" antelope green will likely end up with a 76+ head after 60. If you want an 82 net, you better be shooting those 85+ heads...

There is also a big difference in rough scoring and actually putting the tape to it for real. The photographs are probably for B&C for submission. They do shrink quite a bit from my experience, be happy with a booner,

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]4 inches isn't uncommon. 2-3 inches is normal.

There were a couple NM bucks that green scored 89 2/8 and 89 6/8 a few years ago and they officially scored 85 6/8 and (I think) about 84 and change.

They will all shrink differently, though. Some won't shrink much at all, while others will shrink a ton.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

Most discrepancies arrise because the first measurement is never done by a qualified measurer. As someones else has pointed out if your measurement is a bit off on length all your mass measuremtns will be off.

BHB

I agree with BigHornBob. As an official measurer, I often score trophies that their owner has "green scored" at some inflated number. When the scoring rules are applied rigorously, the numbers often come down. I would not expect a pronghorn to shrink a full 4 inches in 120 days.
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 03:08PM (MST)[p]One of the best ways to "preserve" the actual mass of your buck's horns with minimal shrinkage is to pop them off the skull ASAP. Once the horns are popped off coat the inside of the horn with bondo as well as the entire length of the horn sheath. Place the horns back on the sheaths at the right angles. Make sure you don't enlarge the base so they crack or a B&C scorer will likely disqualify them! Bondo not only prevents excess shrinkage but also keep bugs from getting in and ruining your mounts! From what I understand B&C is fine with doing this...and this is how most taxidermist attach the horns to the skulls.

I would have to agree with the above statement that most of the time measurements aren't done properly. 4" is outrageous!

I've never seen 4" of shrinkage. Usually it will be about an inch. I don't leave anything at the taxidermist. I will have them mount the horns to the skull plate and then take them home with me. When the taxidermist is ready for them i drop them off. In the mean time i can take the horns to get scored myself on the 60 day mark. Don't set them on the shelf that has the sun blasting through the window on it all day either.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]I'd never leave a B&C size pronghorn with a taxidermist before having a B&C prep, I'd also wait till after he has been officially measured.

They shrink enough when properly taken care of, let alone when a taxi lets them dry rot for a few months.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11
>AT 11:14?PM (MST)

>
>I'd never leave a B&C size
>pronghorn with a taxidermist before
>having a B&C prep, I'd
>also wait till after he
>has been officially measured.
>
>They shrink enough when properly taken
>care of, let alone when
>a taxi lets them dry
>rot for a few months.
>
Amen reddog......and the OM will appreciate it not being mounted too.....Length is way easier to get it all if just the horn sheaths are mounted back to the skull plate...a taxi can cost you a 1/4 inch per horn easy too since the base of the horns are easy to cut with a sharp knife.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yes this is possible. I killed a 90" net in '08 and it's final net score was 86 4/8. It shrunk almost as much as your buddies.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

3 to 4" of shrinkage is pretty insane! I have a feeling a lot of the problem is not scoring the horns correctly the first time when they are fresh or caring for the horns. I think you'll find that an official scorer will put a tape on horns different than most hunters in the field! If you get the horns immediately off the skull after your harvest (without boiling the heck out of them) and bondo them on the skull...keep them in a cool, shaded spot you shouldn't have more than 1" shrinkage!

If you think about it, 4" of shrinkage is 2"/horn. That would equal a shrinkage of 1/2" at each of the 4 mass measurement! I would go out on a limb and say there is NO WAY a set of horns should shrink more than 2" max if they are cut and processed correctly with bondo! Something definitely is wrong if you are getting 3 to 4" of shrinkage!

Jims, I am an official measurer and I agree that it shouldn't happen, but it can if not cared for properly.

The advice you gave about caring for the horns is very good advice. Caring for them in this way should minimize the shrinkage & the sooner you start the process, the sooner the drying time starts.

The only think I think should be added to your advice is for everyone to remember that they WILL shrink some. If the horn sheath is too tight around the bondo it can cause the horn to split while it's drying.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom