antelope hunt unit 301

seeleymt

Well finally burning my points applied for antelope in unit 301 for this fall. From my research looks like a fair amount of private vrs public. If you can hunt the whole season, can you kill a good buck without getting on private? From the emails I have had sounds like it can be a Zoo on public especially the first weekend, really not into that, even if I had to skip the first weekend. Any thoughts you can pass along would be appreciated.
Thanks Brian

Opening weekend was pretty busy in 2014. I hunted the first 4 days and saw 8 bucks that were taken in the north part of the unit. I ended up with a 14" lope, One of the largest ones I saw over the 4 day period. Several times we would hike out to a heard only to find 2 other hunters glassing the same group. Not what I expected for 14PP.

If you are limited to public land your best strategy in my opinion would be to scout a few days before the season opens, find the buck you want, and attempt to kill him opening morning. There just isn't a lot of country and the season is not very long. If you are hung up on skipping opening weekend, I would encourage you to get creative with how you access the public land areas to outsmart other hunters. 14pp is very steep for that area.

>If you are limited to public
>land your best strategy in
>my opinion would be to
>scout a few days before
>the season opens, find the
>buck you want, and attempt
>to kill him opening morning.
>There just isn't a lot
>of country and the season
>is not very long.
>If you are hung up
>on skipping opening weekend, I
>would encourage you to get
>creative with how you access
>the public land areas to
>outsmart other hunters. 14pp
>is very steep for that
>area.

I had been applying for 3/301 up until about 3 years ago. The quality of bucks has really went down hill. I think it's pretty pathetic to wait 14 years on unit where you're most likely going to kill a high 60's to low 70's buck. Where as you can drive right over the border and kill that kind of buck or bigger on a 0 to 1 point unit in Wyoming.

Coloradoboy

Additionally Wyoming's season is longer thus spreading out the hunting pressure. Colorado's season is so short your are forced on top of one another.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom