Antelope hunt

BlueMountainAdventures

Hey guys, I have accumulated like 13 antelope Resident points. I was wanting your input in best units for trophy goats. Not the units with the most antelope, but the ones with some truly +16" goats. I am busy guiding elk and deer hunters, so dont get out in antelope country that often.

I have been lucky enough to shoot two antelope back to back in Idaho that were 15.25" and 15.5". One was rifle, other was archery. But, Oregon is my next hunt.

ANY info on areas/herds/water would be a great help. I will post pics if I draw out and harvest a goat. Should I draw out this year, or wait another year or two?

If its a dry spring and summer, they wont have much for tops/length.....

Thanks guys!

My family and I always put in for Murders Creek and have been 4 times the past 10yrs or so. I drew 4yrs ago and killed a 15" opening day. Should of waited longer, because we watched bit bigger bucks later on that week while my uncle "tried" to get one! His scope was bumped and come to find out it was off about a foot high! A box of ammo later, he was done...no goat. Others say Hart MT if you have that many points if you want a true trophy...they might be right.

PM me if you want more info on the exact area, if not good luck!

muleyman

LAST EDITED ON May-12-10 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]Well,
I hunted S. Wagontire 3 years ago, did get a buck but nothing big, unit is supposed to hold some good ones but we never did find one. When I draw again - it will be a few years:)
I'd give Juniper a hard look, per the bio I talked to 3 years ago when it was way dry, she said most of the goats in the unit I hunted head over to Juniper to find something to eat, plus the unit holds plenty of goats already. Biggest buck I saw hunting/scouting was in that unit.

Or, if you want to see/hunt plenty of nice antelope I'd look a little further east-------to Wyoming:) Thats what I've been doing the last couple of years and its well worht it. The amount of driving I did scouting for my Oregon tag was about the same amount to drive to central Wyoming and hunt, and you get to see thousands of antelope to boot!

Ya, WY has ALOT of goats, but from what i hear/read, the easy to draw areas are not great quality. Oregon has some great quality pronhorns! I may just do point saver and plan on drawing a tag next year with 14 points. Just trying to decide before the 15!

Steens has been the most consistant for book goats, but it's not always easy.

if you are archery savy, you need to do the hart mtn archery tag. it's a slam dunk if your patient enough to let the smaller guys walk. dont let anyone fool you- that is , BY FAR, the best hunt in the state

I think this will be a good year.I agree about Juniper and Steens, West Beauty, Warner and White Horse.I spent time on Hart last year during the rifle season, and must say I was disappionted. My friend killed the biggest buck we saw in 4 days, 15", not saying they are not there but the rifle hunt sucked due to some road closures that funnelled many hunters into the same areas.If you hunt hard most unit have a 16" in them, the one species fish and wildlife have managed not to screw up. Pm if you have questions.I have a 78 muzzy buck from Catlow 78 7/8's, and a 82 from 33 Nevada. Killer B I did see an 84 killed during the rifle hunt on Hart. They are there but tag#s for the rifle hunt with the road situation last year was a night mare. JB

Why does the rifle season preceed the bow season? I know it is what it is but just wondering the reasoning behind it.

Not sure the reason but the antelope rut is traditionally later than the rifle hunt and picking up during the bow and muzzy.

I believe tat exactly the reason. If the rifle season was later, like the time archery season is currently, it would be during the rut, and thus wiping out antelope!

Oh ya....kinda like ODFW having almost all rifle seasons scheduled during the full moons! Ever notice that? Hmmmmm.....maybe to lower success rates even that much more??
Just a thought....

No but have seen a couple bruisers in the north end of Lookout Mnt adjacent to Keating.One of the biggest goates I have ever seen Oregon Wyoming or Nevada.It was on public ground.

I have drawn West BB 2x and have killed an 82 and 85. Also saw a great buck there while hunting south in Nevada. EBB and Hart Mtn. are also good. Steens as well. Not sure about the moisture issue. I had dry years and did good.

Hey all,

I was fortunate enough to hunt Hart archery last year after patiently waiting to draw the tag. My goal was to hold out for a 75"+ goat and squeaked by with this guy at 77". He does have 16-1/8" lengh on each side but his mass is weak. I passed him up the first hour in my blind as I had roughly an 82"-84" buck scouted out that I thought would commit to watering. He never came closer than 90 yards...He had a ton of mass. I killed my buck on the 3rd day.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2264kurt_buck1.jpg

BMA,

Look me up if you decide to put in for Hart in the future. I did a TON of research prior to my hunt and covered most of the refuge. I agree w/ the comments about Juniper or Steens if rifle is your preference.

Kurt

Back
Top Bottom