Antelope in Unit 29

S

servehim

Will be muzzleloading after an Antelope over Thanksgiving. Big Unit of which I an unfamiliar with where the goats my be found. We will be scouting but any starting points would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

You've drawn one of the BEST if not the best hunts for speedgoats. Hold out for a big booner, you shouldnt have any trouble hittin 80 inches.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

Ungulatefoe

he ll be hunting after thanksgiving, so no 80 inches..I assume he is on youth hunt...

vinihunt

Its extremely dry on the mesa and has been for a couple of years now. The ranchers have cut the cow herds pretty much in half. Most of the dirt tanks are dry. If you get a shot at a mature buck you better take it. It is not the hunt it used to be.

Thanks Guys and yes it is my sons youth hunt. Been looking at Google earth to get a basic feel for the terrain and looks to be quite a bit of rolling hills. Looks to be more Antelope country on the west side of the unit....is that an accurate statement?

If it is the youth hunt, get there at least a day early to scout. Shoot the first buck you see that still has horns.

We had that hunt and the horns had slipped off of 90% of the bucks by the first day. Decent numbers, but, if you want horns do not hold out.

Wow..thank Paul as I did not even consider the horns slipping that early..what part of the unit should we start scouting first?

This year the hunt is a couple days earlier that may make a difference. We hunted on the 25th last year and chose not to kill one as we had full freezers and only a couple we found had 1 horn still.

PM me and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Servehim:

Sorry for the misinformation on my post....apparently things have nosedived in that unit since I've been there, in 2008. I still can't draw that tag to save my life though.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

Can only say THANK YOU to Paul and The Nuge. I appreciate the guidance and info. It certainly got me off to a good start in an area I've never been to before. Hats off to my fellow NM hunters who share my passion.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom