Antelope Island Hunt in Utah

jdubya

SFW in Utah is pushing a bill through the legislature that will sell tags to the highest bidder for a bunch of deer and sheep that wander about this place like it was a petting zoo. The last time I was there, we got within 25 feet or so of a couple of nice bucks scattered around with some does. Hundreds of thousands of people wander over this barren island every year: the animals have as much interest and fear of humans as a cow would of a stump. This hunt will have all of the challenge and ethics of running over turtles in the middle of the road.

I was at the senate hearing for this bill. Every local group including county commish. etc. plus the parks groups spoke against it, but SFW promised a 200k check to DWR at the end of the day. Plan is to auction off one to the highest bidder (who gets to fly over the island in his private jet) and the other in a raffle. Guess who won?? SFW of course: Money always talks! The head of the committee wouldn't even let the biologist from the park speak to the fact that the herds don't need any thinning. Last thing I heard the DWR of Utah is in support of this bill.

You have to wonder just what the DWR and SFW will do for a buck?

I agree that the Island hunt is a joke. But all the TV stations I have seen (2, 4, 5) reported that the Parks Dept and the DWR were against the bill. Who knows what is true, but the hunt is ridiculous.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom