Antelope Leftover 25, 31, or 76?

dreamer

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-12 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]I live in Cody, Wy and this year my daughter and I both failed to draw an antelope tag. I see that there are leftover type 1 tags in 25 and 31. Does anyone have any advice or information on goat hunting these units? Which would be the best to pick up a leftover type 1 tag? Also I see 9 type 2 tags for unit 76 near Thermopolis. Type 2 in that unit is for any antelope withing 2 miles of the Big Horn river. I'm wondering if there is any decent antelope on public land in unit 76? Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. We sure do want to antelope hunt this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-12 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]Based on what I can see on my CD ROM neither 25 and 31 have much public land that is accessible without permission to get to it through private property. There is no more than about 5 or 6 square miles in two different areas to the northeast of Thermopolis that is public land within 2 miles of the river in unit 76 for those Type 2 tags. My concensus from what I see on the map is that I would not buy tags for any of those units without gaining access to private property first.

RE: Thanks TOPGUN. Other Advice?

Check out the WALK IN AREAS. The new 2012 list is not availlable the last time I checked ,but if I remember right unit 31 has some of these areas availlable.
I am looking at leftovers myself.

31 is an easy hunt for you and your daughter. Plus you can stay right in casper. Hat six hma is good enough. If thats not enough there is some state ground thats good. Unless the goats all died off you'll fill your tags.

I didn't even think of the WIHA and HMA possibilities, as I've had a busy week laying my Dad to rest and doing a lot of outdoor work. If those aren't overcrowded/shot out, that may be something to think about. Two other units that have a ton of leftover tags are 22 and 23, which would be a fairly easy drive over the mountain to Buffalo on Hwy.16 and then onto I-90 going east a little ways. The northeast part of 22 and the west side of 23 have accessible public land that I've sent people to before and they filled tags, but you need a GPS with a chip to make sure you know where you are at all times. Also, it's some rougher country that most people don't consider for antelope, but they're there in fairly decent numbers and the weather hasn't hurt them at all like some of the southern and other units. The main reason there are so many tags left is the big number of tags issued initially because of the large amount of private property where most people go. You sure wouldn't have to hurry to make your decision on going to those two units because the tags never sell out.

Sorry to hear about your father. Thats a tough week. I laid my father and son to rest 4 months apart. Good luck this season.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom