Antelope Mounts

BuckshotBenny

Hello all,

I was hoping some of you may have some experience with Antelope mounts. I just picked mine and my buddies mounts up this morning and it seems the hair just falls out with a light swipe like petting a dog. Is this normal. Mine isn't so bad but my buddies is really shedding.

The taxidermist said that since antelope have hollow hair, it's not unusual for hair to fall out pretty easy but did agree that my buddies was excessive.

Any advice?

Yes, they have hollow hair but it doesn't come loose naturally. That's a BS excuse for capes not cooled, salted and dried, or tanned correctly. I have antelope mounts all over the house. I brush them all the time when the kids and grandkids manhandle them, and vacuum them twice a year. Never lose any hair from any of them.

I've been mounting antelope for 25 years and can say, compared to any in the deer family, antelope hair is more fragile. I am a stickler about proper care of hides too, but still over the years several antelope capes I used in mounts shed hair more than I like to see. I can't say the reason, but once I ship hides I have no idea what happens during the tanning process.

It is also very difficult to get any extra stretch out of an antelope cape without some hair coming loose.

I agree with jm77 , antelope can be very touchy for some reason. Most of us taxidermists send the capes out to a commercial tannery and I'm assuming it's a timing issue at times. Some are worse than others. I've seen a lot of hunters mishandle them right off the bat also. Get your pictures fast , get them carefully caped out and cooled immediately , that's where it all begins !

...a pronghorn cape is not guaranteed till 5 years after they are mounted.....they suck

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Ok- Thanks guys. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to try to remedy this with the taxidermist or if this something I'll have to live with.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-19 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]>>....and I am pretty sure pronghorn
>>aren't even remotely in the
>>deer family....

Which is not even remotely what I said...

>
>
>Compared

Thank you Cast, your reading comprehension is very good "compared" to Homer's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom