Antelope rifle?

mailman

Both my boys got antelope tags this year and I dont have an antelope gun. I need some help deciding what to buy. Ive been told .243 or .25-06. Any help would be appreciated.

If I ever get drawn for a antelope hunt it'll be my 6.8SPC AR-15! The 6.8 is a tack driver!!! Of the two you mentioned I would go with the .243 though...

Either one will work fine...the .25 will typically kick out a bit more recoil given similar rifle weights and configuration, but nothing to worry much about

You might consider a 7mm-08 shooting light bullets, you can adjust to heavier loads as the boys grow and use the same rifle for most everything in NA

Both the .243 and 7-08 are just necked down versions of the .308 Win case...the 7 (.284 cal) can be loaded with much heavier bullets for larger game than the little .243

The .25-06 is just a necked down 30-06, and again, the little .25s are limited by bullet weight, if you're considering elk and oryx sized beasts in the future

A lightly loaded .308 or 30-06 would serve largely the same function as either of the calibers you mentioned for your current purposes, and would allow for your guys to develop into shooting heavier/faster loads for bigger game as they grow up

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun!

Flip a coin! The best two antelope I've shot were with a .243 Mauser a friend let me use and the 25-06 Ruger M77 that I got about a year after that. I'm sort of partial to the 25-06 because it will also poke a deer way out past where I would shoot one with a .243 with very little felt recoil.

I would highly recomend Tikka lite hunter in .270WSM! Affordable (check gunbroker.com) and very flat shooting with enough knock down power for anything we hunt, but not high in recoil. Use an all copper bullet & shoot 'em in the ribs! (not enough meat to sacrifice a shoulder shot on)

I would also recomend getting stoney point rapid pivot bipods for both guns and get both the sitting/kneeling sticks and the prone sticks and let them boys practice all summer shooting off the sticks.

Congratulations & best of luck to you!!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

...don't think you could go wrong with a Tikka Lite in 25-06. Easy on the pocket book too. Find someone that has one and see if they'll let you shoot it. Love hunting with my Tikkas--wish my 25-06 was a Tikka...

SAVAGE IN 25-06 shooting Sierra Game King 117gr great rifle for Antelope and Deer.
13242506wscope3.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I would say 270WSM is a little much for the speed goats, but is an awesome round at that. Out of the two you mentioned, I would definitely go with the 25. It is extremely versatile and can be used for everything from predators to muleys at long range. Your boys will thank you in the long run for the 25. The 243 is very limited when you get into larger animals.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom