Antelope rifles

270WSM!
or a 25-06 or a 257AI or a 270Win, or a 6mmWSM, or a 6X47 Lapua, or a 6.5X47 L or a.........

Lots of quicker mid caliber rifles would work well for the prairie dwellers but in reality you could use anything from a 243 dia to a 338 dia very effectively.

Zeke

I am surprised at how many people recommend the 25-06, and at how many people like them so much. Now, before anyone freaks out about that statement, I will say that I own one. I also like it.

However, I would shoot the same rifle you use for elk and deer. You are used to it, why not stick with it?

But, if you are like me, and look for excuses to buy guns, I would go with a 7mm...

No more excuses for me, and I'm old enough I don't have to explain myself anymore either.....
Normally I carry a .25-06 but then you never know....
Hunt with what you shoot best and put the bullet where it belongs and it won't matter what diameter the bullet is.

Semper Fi

Many of us are of the same mind here!
I have seen perhaps 2 dozen or so pronghorns killed with everything from a 22-250 to a 300 Win Mag. None of them knew what they were hit with, but all died quickly. I have personally killed them with a 308, 257 Roberts, 270, 7mmRem Mag and 270WSM, and never felt under or over gunned with any of those calibers.
One caution with smaller calibers is antelope live on windy prairies and light bullets don't buck wind as well as heavier ones, especially at longer distances.

i used a tikka t3 lite with swaroski scope. kiled 7 antelope in last 2 years shortest shot was 186 and longest shot was 545. the bullet we use is reloaded 270 wsm with barnes tipped triple shock bullet.

I use a 264 Westerner. if I were going to buy or build a rifle I'd do a 25-06, 257 WBY or 264 win .

Stay thirsty my friends

I just won a 257 WBY at the North American Moose Foundation banquet Saturday night in Salt Lake City and can't wait to use it for antelope next fall. I've shot most all my antelope with a 340 WBY and it seemed to kill 'em just fine.

I've never shot an antelope. When I do I will use my 25-06, Its my primary rifle. I've shot everything from sage rats to elk with it, I even used it on my Bighorn sheep. I think it will do just fine on antelope too. That being said I've never shot a big game animal at over 350 yards with it either. Believe it or not I have a hard time out doing 100 gr Remington Core-lokt's with handloads. I've been messing around with handloads for 12 years trying to out do them. For some reason my 'Ol Winchester M70 loves them. I've been using 115 gr Accubond lately, but to be honest I'm not that impressed with them. The only Accubond bullet I recovered had zero mushroom, it looked like end of the bullet was sheared off.

I'm not an accubond fan either.

Try the 117 gr BTSP Hornady Interlock. fantasic bullet, it's only fault is it's too cheap and gets no respect.

Stay thirsty my friends

My favorite rifle for pronghorns is my .264 Westerner also. It's a fabulous rifle, and the 264wm is about as ideal as you'll get for hunting pronghorns and plains deer. I've also shot pronghorns with 25-06, 270, 30-06, 300 win mag and 338 win mag.

None of those are bad for pronghorns, but I do like that 264 the best of all for lighter game.

.257 ackley,110 accubond,of which i have harvested 8 antelope with no problems as well as two mule deer bucks. Larry

We own a 6mm and over the years our family/friends have taken many, many antelope with that rifle.

A 6mm has a 24 caliber bullet

Same thing as a .243 but just a bit more of a kick.

Savage Accutrigger 25-06 w/Federal Sierra 117gr Game King rounds work for me.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-13 AT 01:15AM (MST)[p]I guess if nobody else is gonna say it I will. 7mm-08 in 140 grain nosler partition. Look at the ballistics and I rest my case. Fast, flat, and available in a wide variety of ammo from small varmit stuff to heavy loads. Small flat bullet is effected less in the wind

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-13 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-13 AT 07:53?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-13 AT 07:46?PM (MST)

I don't start with the rifle. I start with the bullet.

I want the highest ballistic coefficient bullet I can get. (You can kill an antelope with any bullet made in America today, but you have to get it to him with sufficient energy.)

Turns out that 7mm bullets like the 168-gr Berger VLD and 162-gr Hornady A-max have the best B.C.s

Next I turn to the cartridge behind the bullet. That big B.C. needs all the muzzle velocity you can give it. The biggest is the Remington Ultra Mag. There are others just as good - STW, Weatherby, the Lazzeroni big magnum, the Dakota magnum. But the 7mm Remington Magnum, although not the fastest, is so close and so much more available that I consider it the best all-around 7mm even if it's not the absolute fastest.

The 7mm-08 and 7x57 will kill antelope for sure, but not with the flatness of trajectory of the big 7mm magnums.

Next I pick the rifle - a good single shot or bolt action, with a long barrel, and perhaps a muzzle brake if you've chosen the Ultra Mag or its brethren. A single shot will allow you as much as 30" of barrel or more, whereas a bolt action of more than 26" is ungainly.

Don't forget the barrel needs adequate twist for these long bullets. As I recall, the Hornady A-max needs 1-in-9", and the VLD needs 1-in-10".

Rugers, Browings, and many custom or semi-custom single shots are wonderful. All the standard bolt actions - Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Dakota, Jarrett, MacMillan, Cooper, the list goes on and on. They'll all do the trick.

Last is the scope atop the rifle. As a bare minimum a 3x-9x Leupold set to 9x. Many serious antelope hunters use tactical scopes like Nightforce, and high powers like 20x or 22x.

If you go that route you'll want a ballistics program, a chronograph, and a shooting range that allows you to check you're 1/4 minute clicks out to at least 500 yards.

Do all that, and practice, and you'll be a world-class antelope hunter. Make sure you wait for them to stop and stand still. Don't shoot at running antelope. And learn to judge horns. With a little practice it'll all pay off.

I talked to one successful hunter who said he used exactly that cartridge for long-range antelope hunting.

I guess what that shows is that if you can hit 'em, you can kill 'em.

You can't kill an antelope deader than dead. A 50 BMG will do it. A 17 Rem will do it (if you can slip the bullet between two ribs on the way in).

Good Hunting

good god..this thread is a ******** GEM.

Thank you lord for providing incredibly stupid bastards for entertainment.

I've taken two antelope, both were killed with one shot from a 270 win. with a 130 grain bullet. Neither went farther than 10-15 yards.
Take your favorite gun, take good aim. Have a great time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom