Antelope taste

maddog58

Have ate a bunch of antelope in my life and it’s always been my favorite. This year my son wounded an antelope with a liver shot and leg shot. Took 3 hrs to recover. This antelope is extremely strong in flavor. Would this be because of the long kill time ? Thoughts

No, there's good ones and bad ones. I enjoy good ones, bad ones I give away!!

We have head shot both does and bucks in hay fields, and they were horrible. Gut shot some and didn't recover for hours that were great. I always cook a steak off one, and if it's good, the whole thing will be good.

I’ve only had one bad one and it was a heart shot in an alfalfa field… Very disappointing, every other antelope was fantastic…

Because of the difficulty in drawing permits, our family has not had lots of pronghorn. That said, of the 9 bucks we have taken, all were very good eating. All were taken in areas where they fed on natural vegetation. All were quick kills with shots to the vitals.

Tasted a Couple of TASTY Lopers!

Had One That Somebody In Colorado Must Of Chased for a few Hundred Miles That Landed In Bonanza!

JUDAS!

I had one that was really good eating, the last one I got I tried to feed it to my hound dogs, and they wouldnt eat it.
I never remove the guts always break down Antelope.

I've had both good and awful.
No doubt they were all tender, but the flavor on some was nasty.
More recently, I've skinned, broken them down and put them on ice as soon as possible. That seems to make some difference.

Daughter shot a young buck one year that had been wounded earlier that day by someone clearly not interested in filling their tag after shooting him. Buck could hardly walk and we shot him out of his bed.

Tasty nevertheless.

We've had 2 out of dozen that were tough on the taste buds. Meat tasted like they smelled during the rut with an after taste that wild turkey rare breed wouldn't eliminate. One was a very old doe shot where she napped and the other was a small rutty buck. We are extremely diligent on field care and never really understood WTH happened with these 2. Antelope is our #1 game meat too. Delicious. Now we grill up a chunk of meat to see what we got.

Hands down it's my wife's favorite but we have had ONE that was really tough. Flavor was still fine but that thing was stringy-tough!

I ended up taking every package from that antelope and grinding when we did our wild game meat burger. Sad when you have to grind backstraps:cry:.

Zeke

I say 40-50# if your good a lucky not to blow out a shoulder. Dam small animals with a small sweet spot behind the shoulder. The meat seems to bruise easily too. If I could get all 200 yd or less shots that would be great but that don't happen every season.

When I lived in Wyoming as a kid, we probably took 20 antelope. Dad was not high on it- so we turned every single one into jerky. I ate lots of jerky as a kid.

Roll forward 30 years- the last antelope we got we tried the backstraps and it was really, really good. Who knew??

When I lived in Wyoming as a kid, we probably took 20 antelope. Dad was not high on it- so we turned every single one into jerky. I ate lots of jerky as a kid.

Roll forward 30 years- the last antelope we got we tried the backstraps and it was really, really good. Who knew??
Best meat I can remember eating was the backstrap off of a NV antelope. It hadn't been frozen....just on ice for the trip home. Butter, onion and backstrap in a pan....it was delicious.

I've over cooked antelope in the past and had to toss it. I think it is a very temperamental game meat.

I take care of all my meat, but antelope gets the best care. This is do to hunting them early season when it is still hot weather.

Once knocked down they are field dressed and washed out in a near creek or stream, which cleans and lowers the meat temperature. It is back in camp and skinned and quartered within an hour. Just hanging in the breeze really cools the quarters down. Hang each night and keep in cooler during the day.

I have never had a bad antelope. Some of the best eating meat in the freezer.

That one time I should have stopped the truck and turned around to get the pic....

Motorhome parked broadside, 80+ degree day and full sun beating on it, cooler laying up next to it, and a whole antelope laying on the cooler; guts feathers and all. Bloated so bad the top side legs were at about a 45 degree angle.

That one time I should have stopped the truck and turned around to get the pic....

Motorhome parked broadside, 80+ degree day and full sun beating on it, cooler laying up next to it, and a whole antelope laying on the cooler; guts feathers and all. Bloated so bad the top side legs were at about a 45 degree angle.
...and they wonder why it tastes bad! hahahaha

Like I've said before, it's my wife's favorite and when I want to impress her with my husbandly skills, I fry up a couple MR backstrap steaks for her!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom