Antelope Unit 57

Sure seems like it should be, given even point creep being accounted for. That being said its always tough guessing

Thanks for the replies. With 14 points is unit 57 one of the more solid choices? It seems to have a great record for big bucks.

One thats on my 'short list' with 15 points for this year as well.
57 is a very solid unit that has some great genetics ! But it’s a tough nut to crack. Take lots of time & glass carefully & cover lots of ground ! I’ve hunted it 2 x. Never got the big one ! Saw lots of bucks. Huge area. Unit 58 next door is another dandy to draw & it too has super genetic s. Can’t go wrong on either ! Best of Luck !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ??

57 is a very solid unit that has some great genetics ! But it’s a tough nut to crack. Take lots of time & glass carefully & cover lots of ground ! I’ve hunted it 2 x. Never got the big one ! Saw lots of bucks. Huge area. Unit 58 next door is another dandy to draw & it too has super genetic s. Can’t go wrong on either ! Best of Luck !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ??
Thank you, I appreciate your input !

Keep in mind that the I80 corridor got hammered pretty hard with winterkill a couple winters ago. Mature bucks along that corridor are slowly but surely recovering but it's not what it was a few years ago prior to winterkill. Most of the mature, older age class bucks died that winter.

I would think that's plenty to draw if tag numbers are the same as last year. 2 of us drew it with 10 NR PP this past season on the special tag.

Keep in mind that the I80 corridor got hammered pretty hard with winterkill a couple winters ago. Mature bucks along that corridor are slowly but surely recovering but it's not what it was a few years ago prior to winterkill. Most of the mature, older age class bucks died that winter.
It only takes 2 years for a buck pronghorn to mature. On another note i think every year I've ever hunted down there it was " a bad year" we've found a killed a buck over 80" every time it's just a matter of putting in the time and hundreds of miles a day and knowing what you're looking at which I will say most don't.

If that's where you want to hunt....go for it! It's amazing country and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If it's a lean year be prepared to spend a great number of days searching for possibly the 1 B&C buck that may or may not exist?

What if the cheatgrass got all the big bucks? Do you have a spreadsheet we could use?
If that's where you want to hunt....go for it! It's amazing country and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If it's a lean year be prepared to spend a great number of days searching for possibly the 1 B&C buck that may or may not exist?

The cheatgrass has caused the pronghorn to predominantly have a two point genetic. It’s quite sad actually. Four point pronghorns are a thing of the past!
Pre-cheatgrass speed goats

EAEB50FB-1D47-435D-A645-DB7EB6D010EA.jpeg

I have 27 points for Antelope here in AZ along with 19 in Nevada and 18 in Oregon. I just try to hunt areas with good genetics to increase my odds of a good animal but at the end of the day the hunt itself is what it's all about. If I tried to wait for a "good" year to put in I probably would never hunt in AZ since we are always in a drought. I also want to burn my points since I will hopefully be moving to Wy either this year or next so I need to use them or lose them.

I hunted the last week in 57 a few years ago and took a B&C goat. It was nice because I think I ran into one other hunter the whole week but the buck I took was the only one I saw over 80. lots of pronghorn and you could kill a mid 70's buck anytime you wanted to. fun easy hunt but be there opening day the bigger ones get whacked early I assume, or maybe there just aren't many big one I'm not sure.

It seems to be a toss up as to when to hunt. Opening day more big bucks but more people or do it how you did and have the place to yourself. I won't know how to approach it until after all the draws are done, see what I get drawn for and go from there.

It seems to be a toss up as to when to hunt. Opening day more big bucks but more people or do it how you did and have the place to yourself. I won't know how to approach it until after all the draws are done, see what I get drawn for and go from there.
You’re overthinking it again. 99% of pronghorn hunters can’t judge them.

What you should be worried about is something that never comes up. Paint color. If your truck isn’t white you might as well throw your tag away. You’re not getting within a mile of a pronghorn. Also the paint color at home too because of this tag. You owe your wife an upgrade after she finds out how much thought, time and money went into this antelope.

Good luck!

What you should be worried about is something that never comes up. Paint color. If your truck isn’t white you might as well throw your tag away. You’re not getting within a mile of a pronghorn. Also the paint color at home too because of this tag. You owe your wife an upgrade after she finds out how much thought, time and money went into this antelope.

Good luck!
Do you recommend the snow camo from Kuiu to keep up the white theme?

Good luck!
I passed the first test, My trucks are always white!

Hunted it the first 7 days last year. There are not big ole bucks everywhere. Put 200 Miles a day on the white truck and shot two bucks in the high 70's....day three and day 7.........got a lil itchy on a couple mid 70's bucks.....the more bucks you see you will get to know the ones that stand out. Spend a lot of time learning how to score on the hoof and take your time with the spotter to help avoid ground shrinkage.Good Luck

Thank you. I live in northern Az (Prescott) so I get to see some pretty good goats but by no means am I a scoring expert. I'm really just looking to use my points in a good area before I move up there. I don't get overly picky until it comes to Mule Deer, My favorite game animal.

I have 27 points for Antelope here in AZ along with 19 in Nevada and 18 in Oregon. I just try to hunt areas with good genetics to increase my odds of a good animal but at the end of the day the hunt itself is what it's all about. If I tried to wait for a "good" year to put in I probably would never hunt in AZ since we are always in a drought. I also want to burn my points since I will hopefully be moving to Wy either this year or next so I need to use them or lose them.
You need to buy your lifetime AZ hunting license before you leave so you can continue to apply in the resident draw for the resident pronghorn tags!!

I’m curious when and where was the last antelope tag you’ve had. You have 78 points in 4 states. An average of almost 20 years. Seems like a long time to wait. You should be busy in the coming years though. Good luck in the draws!

I’m curious when and where was the last antelope tag you’ve had. You have 78 points in 4 states. An average of almost 20 years. Seems like a long time to wait. You should be busy in the coming years though. Good luck in the draws!
I bought a LifetimeL Resident Hunting License in ‘07 before I moved to Wyoming- not 1 tag since then, guess I’m cursed ! But I keep plugging!
My track record as a resident ‘93-07 on Resident was horrible, when I did draw the weather & bad luck totally ruined my hunts. These are facts.
Really stinks.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado ?

Antelope are weird. I had 57 last year. Since I live nearby, I had plenty of time to thoroughly scout it. Only found 1 buck that I thought may have been 80+. I ended up taking a mid-70's buck with my bow August 15th, so I never got to chase the bigger buck. 57 is an awesome tag. 2 of my friends have taken 89"+ goats over the past 5 years or so. Some years the unit just isn't as good for bigger bucks for whatever reason. There's a ton of cool stuff to look at in 57!!

I did read a study once (from Arizona I believe) that showed 3-yr old bucks comprised most of the B&C trophies in a given year, with 4-yr olds a somewhat close 2nd. Few bucks past that age made it to B&C. Of course, pronghorn don't live as long as deer.

You need to get busy burning points! Draw the tag and go have a fun hunt! Don't put too much pressure on yourself to kill the biggest buck! That can ruin a hunt. Just go hunt and have fun!

I don't know if you've ever hunted antelope in Wyoming, but you're in for a treat if you haven't. Bring the Swarovski's; if you don't, your eyes will be aching by the end of the day from glassing so many critters! Mid 70's bucks are all over the place. PM me when you draw and I'll give you some info.

Antelope are weird. I had 57 last year. Since I live nearby, I had plenty of time to thoroughly scout it. Only found 1 buck that I thought may have been 80+. I ended up taking a mid-70's buck with my bow August 15th, so I never got to chase the bigger buck. 57 is an awesome tag. 2 of my friends have taken 89"+ goats over the past 5 years or so. Some years the unit just isn't as good for bigger bucks for whatever reason. There's a ton of cool stuff to look at in 57!!

I did read a study once (from Arizona I believe) that showed 3-yr old bucks comprised most of the B&C trophies in a given year, with 4-yr olds a somewhat close 2nd. Few bucks past that age made it to B&C. Of course, pronghorn don't live as long as deer.

You need to get busy burning points! Draw the tag and go have a fun hunt! Don't put too much pressure on yourself to kill the biggest buck! That can ruin a hunt. Just go hunt and have fun!

I don't know if you've ever hunted antelope in Wyoming, but you're in for a treat if you haven't. Bring the Swarovski's; if you don't, your eyes will be aching by the end of the day from glassing so many critters! Mid 70's bucks are all over the place. PM me when you draw and I'll give you some info.
Thank you, I have had one Antelope tag in Wy, I think I had max points with one ! It was for I think unit 63. I also drew unit 102 Muledeer that year with my Max point of 1.

I drew my first Antelope tag here in Az with 5 points and now I have 27 ! The reason I have so many points in several places is because I put in for Mule Deer in those states so You might as well apply for everything! I prefer Mule Deer over everything so I usually have only done points while I chase deer.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom