Antelope Unit 73

Hammnit

Guys,
My group is heading back on the 6th to hunt buck antelope in Unit 73 out of Casper for the first time and I'm just trying to figure a couple of things out. It's a big unit and I don't want to camp too far away from the animals.

If anyone has ever spent anytime in this zone, can you recommend one general area over another? East side? West side? We also have 73-7 doe/fawn tags so if there are a decent amount of antelope on the east side, then maybe we'll start there.

I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just trying to eliminate a few parts of the zone.
Thanks!
Hammnit

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-12 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]Two weeks to go and you have not figured out a plan yet? BE PREPARED FOR WET/SNOW WEATHER AS THOSE ROADS ARE A MESS TO TRAVEL ON IN THERE.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

You could probably stay in or near Casper if you did not want to camp, there are plenty of antelope around there so its not like you will be wandering around the unit all day without spotting any. They will have been hunted for a few weeks by the time you get there so they may be pushed off the roads but a little walking will turn them up.

The north end of the unit has more public ground so were it me I would probably start there. What others have said about bad roads in wet weather is correct. It does not take much moisture at all to turn the roads in that area to a soupy mess, but they dry out quickly too. I haven't hunted that particular unit but I have hunted all around it, you will have a good hunt

Not that we don't have a plan, but we've never stepped foot in that unit and you can never get too much info....

I camped on the 33 rd last year. Lots of good looking bucks. We were in 21 on the other side of the rd. The roads can be a mess. I've been chained up all the way around and had lots of fun. It can get a little windy out there too. Look for a low spot to put camp. You won't have any trouble finding bucks. Make sure you know where you are as far as private and public land goes. Doesn't hurt to check with ranchers, as I know of one on the 33 rd that lets everyone on for their coupon and no other charges.

DZ

Guys,
I wanted to get back on and give an update. We had a great time and can't wait to go back. We killed our 12 animals (6 bucks, 6 does) in 5 days. The weather was great, there was plenty of public land, plenty of animals and best of all, no hunters.

Thanks to all of those who helped us out.
Hammnit

5731230893_4419481419382_569244678_n.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom