Antelope unit opinions

pjs78

My son and I have max points and will be applying for a red
desert unit which we all know do not have great draw odds.
My plan is if we don't draw then I will then try for a left-
over tag. However I am fortunate enough to have a in with a
rancher in unit 72.Huge ranch with goats everywhere and some
good ones. With our points we are guranteed tags in this unit.
So if you were us would you still apply for the red desert
units? I guess my question is are the red desert units that
much better that I should keep trying for them with bad odds,
over a sure thing on a private ranch? Hope to hear your
opinions. Pat

Rem308- That's my question. I don't want to blow my points on
just a good unit if the red desert units are much better. My
antelope hunting career is about 1 hour. Last year on my way
back from elk hunting western WY my friend had a antelope tag
in 72 and we shot a 15 inch in a hour after passing up probably
30 other bucks. We only had a few hours to hunt. While we were
driving out a hunter on a quad stopped us to show us his goat,
which he said will make BC. Looked big to me but what would I
know on what it scored. Sounds like your suggesting the red
desert units are worth the wait?

In even the best Red Desert areas you'd be hard pressed to take a 15" goat and see a dead booner inside of a few hours. Based on your experience, I'd hunt that ranch!

I hunted the red desert a few years ago, and haven't applied for there since, I think that area has seen better days

Jon- Thanks for your reply. We were happy with this goat as
neither of us had ever hunted antelope before. He measured
at 15 inches but didn't have very long cutters or mass. The
BC buck was at least 16 with long cutters but not exceptional
mass.

Leftover may be done away with this year. Remaining tags may go OTC at the local agents, possibly Aug. 15 like all past years for what's-left tags. Don't forget this before Appl. date!

Sounds like you have a great setup in 72. You could hunt that unit every year if you put in for the special draw or every other year in the reg draw. Depending upon which desert unit (60, 61, 58, etc.. ) you are applying for it could take you 6 or 8 years to get a tag. From what you are saying it doesn't sound to me like its worth passing up multiple unit 72 hunts for 1 desert hunt. GOOD LUCK . Chip

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-09 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]if you can tak 15 inch goats on a ranch in 72 then go for it.The red desert wll only produce 15 inch goats on occasion,your not going to be tripping over them.I have never hunted the desert ,but have spent many days glassing. The numbers of animal is down compared to 10 years ago.
A 15 inch antelope is something to be proud of , Congradulations !

I don't understand why people concern themselves with length so much. Length accounts for very little of the overall score. It takes good mass and prongs to make a good scoring antelope. I suspect guys pass up some pretty good scoring antelope while looking for a "15-incher".

Example:

Here's a 15" buck that scores 73:

2005buckAnt.jpg

Here's a 15 1/2" buck that scores 75:

03AntelopeI.jpg

This buck is 13 6/8" and scores 78:

04WYAntelope.jpg

I'm guessing that if these bucks were running together, many guys would have shot one of the first two bucks before the third.

Here's one with decent length, mass and prongs. A 15 1/2" buck that scores 80:

COAntBuck2.jpg

You can get lucky and occasionally find a good buck in just about any unit, but the majority of B&C entries still come from a handful of counties. I guess it comes down to what you will be satisfied with.

Oak makes a good point. My sister shot her first buck last year that 13.5" long, but scored 80".....But, if 15" floats your boat, that's cool.....Oak, that first buck looks bigger than 73"? Maybe just the pic, but looks like he's got nice enough mass to push him upper 70's.

A person really needs to decide if you are going for score, or a rack that just floats YOUR boat.

Example: A lot of guys love WIDE mule deer bucks. But, as you all know, there are 30" 160 class bucks out there (and lower too, I suppose). If you are going for score, there are plenty of disapointing 30" bucks out there. 30" or 15" are not magic numbers.

If you are into score, LEARN TO SCORE WELL. If you are into height or width, just go out and shoot the widest or tallest bucks you can find and be proud as hell of your trophy.

photo is
49a21a7b1f1acaba.jpg

This isn't a Wyoming antelope but it shows that length isn't everything.He was only 15 2/8 on the long horn but grossed 89 1/8.Netted 87 2/8 but boy was he ugly!!!!!
David

Colorado Oak,

Nice pictures and some great looking Lopes. Now we just need someone to Photoshop YOUR CAP and put MM on it.....LOL

Thanks for the pictures,

Brian

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom