Antelope w/ muzzeloader

deadI

Very Active Member
This year I finaly got lucky enough to draw a parker mountain antelope tag. I am going to try and take it with my MZL. I understand it will be a little bit of a task to get close enoung but would be well worth it if I can pull it off. Any tips would help greatly.. I will definatly be back and let you know how it goes.
DeadI

I have never been to your area and have not a clue as to what you will be working with. I can tell you that I've held 3 muzzleloader antelope tags and have filled all three.

The first was killed with a spot and stalk. I actually missed him in his bed at less than 40 yards and then took him at 90. He made the Oregon Records Book and the Longrifle Book.

The second buck was killed by calling him in with an antelope call. This was my first attempt at using the call and I about crapped when the thing ran up to only 50 yards away. He was originally 300 to 400 yards out. Kinda neat.

The third buck was killed in an alfalfa pivot. It was also a spot and stalk.

Many people kill them over waterholes, but if water is abundant then this can actually be a waste of time. Usually though water is not abundant in antelope country.

I really like finding a good vantage point and using binoculars. As the sun just begins to rise over the desert, the little buggers will look like neon signs, even from several miles away. You can plan your hunt from there.

Practice, Practice, Practice with that rifle of yours. Scout your area thoroughly. Most of all, have fun. Good Luck too.

You have a wonderful tag! You should have no trouble bagging an antelope with your muzzleloader. What kind of a rig are you shooting and what load? What kind of a buck are you after? Do you have the first or second season? I have experience in the unit and a few suggestions where to look for your buck and a couple spots to camp.

deadI: Probably the best advise, other than specifically where to hunt, that you can be given is this:
#1 Sight that rifle in at 100 yards and know where to hold in for a shorter shot. Be prepared for a long shot, but also be prepared for a short shot of less than 100 yards.

#2 Learn how to belly crawl if you don't already know how.

#3 Use every concealment trick that nature provides you with; gullies, bushes, trees, knolls, sage brush, and rocks. The antelopes eyesight is awesome.

#4 You might be interested in knowing that across the board, muzzleloader hunters have an extremly high success ratio with antelope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom