antelope

Good luck in your search. Lot's of people get tricked into the notion that drawing a unit that takes lots of points means there are lots of big bucks. Unless you get lucky, you'll have to sort thru a bunch to find a big one. You need to be looking at the units in the SW corner, central, and south central part of the state, as well as one unit in the bighorn basin. A look at the draw odds will reveal.

i have 13 points for antelope iam a non resident. what unit should i go after?
Toprut.com is a great tool to study on how best to narrower the units down to the best ones to try to get that tough permit. Area 61 west of Rawlins has great big buck genetics. ?? Area 67 east of Riverton is another good one, as is 68 too.
I never did draw a tag for 61, but I hunted both 67 & 68- fine units & good genetics too & lots of BLM lands. Study the draw stats from toprut.com & WYG& F carefully, plus call the Game Wardens & Wildlife Bios in those field offices-- call in January !!! You can catch them in office & talk lots ! Take lots of notes too.
Hope this is a good start to you recon study. They are usually quite pleasant to visit with in January & can give you lots of great formation. They will return your calls ! Unlike most Colorado CPW personnel. ? Best of Luck !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado. 307-772-1623 cell
E Mail: [email protected]

I would echo chester’s post above. Just because a unit is in historic B&C country and has tough draw odds does it necessarily mean it will have many (if any) booner bucks in any particular year. As an example, some of the south central units mentioned above that are the toughest units in wyo to draw had super thin pickings in 2020. The I-80 corridor got hammered hard by 2020 winterkill. Luckily antelope generally recover fairly quickly and bucks can reach B&C status in 3+ years. I saw a lot of 1 to 2 year old bucks in 2020 with ungodly mass In several of these units. This should equate to monster bucks in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed that this winter remains relatively mild.

Other wyo units didn’t have much (if any) winterkill. The trick is keeping tabs on previous years moisture, winterkill, drought, fawn survival, etc. before choosing a unit!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom