Antelope's Sense of Smell

T

titanxt

What is an antelope's sense of smell like? A whitetaildeer?
How important is wind when hunting antelope with a rifle?

Thanks!

Andy

Antelope rely much more on their sight than their sense of smell. They might look up when they smell you, but until they actually see you they aren't going anywhere.

Rut

Andy, up doing a little scouting this weekend, I was busted by some antelope that smelled me. I'd been watching a buck all morning and backed off a ridge to circle around and get a little closer, knowing full well that the route would bring me right up wind of the buck. Sure enough, I crawled over the ridge and the buck and the rest of the herd had moved 500 yrds from their previous location and were all staring in my direction. I was being pretty darn quite, too. Had a weapon been in my had, I wouldn't have taken that chance. Hope this helps......JB

To be brief: they smell very well and the wind is very important. I have scared plenty of goats that I was sure did not see me.
mateo

I must have been hunting some stupid goats, because I stalked a small group of bucks with the wind blowing across my back the entire way and other than occasionally looking up and smelling the wind they never did get excited.

Rut

I had an antelope wind me at about 150 yards last year, but I hadn't taken a shower in 2 1/2 days and the antelope had a breeze perfectly in its favor.
I have also had antelope under 100 yards with the wind in there favor not smell me on a handful of occasions. I have never had antelope stay around for very long when the wind is it favor when I'm under 50 yards from it.

I've heard so many differant things on this , but I gotta agree with Mateo . I've killed a few antelope , almost all with a muzzleloader and have been on a few rifle hunts as well , and my past experiance says wind is very important to be in your favor .Antelope do rely mostly on thier awesome vision , but as OSOK said they are four legged ....NMhuntnutt

Once while on a spot and stalk bowhunt for goats the wind here in Wy pulled its old famous trick and went to my back so I knew I was busted. So I just sat down in the sage and watched the small herd wander around. Yes they winded me and curiosity got the best of them and they walked right up to me within 10 yards. The buck stayed in the middle of the does so no shot was available but never the less they dont all immediately hit the trail when they scent a human.

Mike
at235.gif

I have stalked right up on many goats. I have never used cover up scent or even my scentlocker when i hunt goats. I dont think they rely on wind a heck of a lot. Now if you have been in the hilss ( desert ) for a while and have built up some sweat i'm sure they will pick that up and start running. I think all the goats i have hunted aren't really a challenge, but they are fun.

later, MM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom