anteople tag unit 64

seeleymt

Looking for some help my wife and myself drew unit 64 for antelope for this fall, any infomation would be appreciated.
Brian

You'll be fine. When you cross into an area that seems to hold decent numbers get out and start walking over the little knolls and spot as you go. Most will just drive and shoot from the road but if you can get into and area that's broken up, and has animals, you can do well.

Drive into the unit. Get out of vehicle. Walk 300 yards and shoot a buck.

I was in there last year and it was full of pronghorn. You will not have any problem what so ever.

>Drive into the unit. Get
>out of vehicle. Walk
>300 yards and shoot a
>buck.
>
>I was in there last year
>and it was full of
>pronghorn. You will not
>have any problem what so
>ever.

I have hunted lopes before not sure it will be quite that easy, going to try a take one wiht my muzzleloder, that's what I killed my last one with. Looking for a good buck not just a average one.

>Drive into the unit. Get
>out of vehicle. Walk
>300 yards and shoot a
>buck.
>
>I was in there last year
>and it was full of
>pronghorn. You will not
>have any problem what so
>ever.

That would not be a problem for us.

Good bucks will be in there, but you're going to need to look over a few hundred bucks to find one. Could be worse, lol!

That's a good tag though. Pronghorn Guide Service has killed a handful of 82"+ bucks in there recently. I'd love to have that tag this year or next year. Next year I'm thinking of applying for the special tag in 64.

I would call Eli or Tony Grimmett. They are full of great information. After talking to them last year I decided to go on a hunt with them. I treated myself to a hunt of a lifetime. I ended up killing an 86 1/2 in net BC animal in area 61. I know they saw several big ones in area 64. They gave me great information that would have helped had I not hunted with them. They are a class outfit.

I normally don't post pics, but I always appreciate I pic or two when I am in your situation. I had a unit 64 and a pronghorn tag last year, and got good help from some of the members on this forum. Without getting into all the details of my personal life at the time, I was only able to hunt for a couple of hours, on a saturday later in the hunt. In the few hours I hunted I easily saw a couple of hundred bucks. The one I shot would not have been the highest scoring, In fact I saw several that would've easily scored better, but I wanted to shoot one with good mass. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like some specifics on where I hunted. I don't know if it will matter though because I saw antelope everywhere I went. I also didn't see any other hunters in the areas I was hunting.

3832image.jpg

Hey Brian, I have that same tag. I have done some research. I don't know what hunt dates I will be there because I will be archery elk hunting approx. Sept. 10-20 before I head down there.

I'll send you a PM. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or somthing while there.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

My son drew a 64 tag this year, and I may help him on his hunt. We know the area pretty well, and feel free to PM for any specific questions.
There are no shortages of goats, but the big ones, as always, are where you find them. Anything over 80" is hitting the dirt when we are in the unit, and the biggest trouble for most people is knowing when they are looking at a goat that big. Lots of mid 70's bucks get shot when people think they have found a monster. And these are good goats, tape measure be damned.
Bill

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-13 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p] I have the time to go archery hunt a few days prior to my Bighorns elk hunt. Given it is 4 hours away is this something I should consider? Are there a decent amount of water holes in the unit? I don't even know the archery dates but I assume its open the first week of September.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

There are a number of water holes conducive to archery hunting. Not that many, but that is sort of a good thing. A few parts of the unit have small streams and a large lake that won't work for archery hunting, but there are definitely a few places for the archer to set up. There is also an area of fairly broken country where stalking is not out of the question, but still not exactly easy. If you are in the area, why not, but as always archery hunting antelope is a low odds proposition.
Bill

You guys with this tag are in for a treat. My experience hunting antelope is pretty limited, but I had this tag last year and it was unbelievable. I got many great tips from the guys on this site (llamapacker being one)and spent 4 days chasing them around.

In 4 days we only saw 1 other hunter, hunter pressure was not an issue. If your unfamiliar with the area there is NOTHING around there. Muddy Gap was the closest place for gas and Jeffrey City had a small bar that you could buy a fuller cooler of ice for $5!

If you get a map of the area you will see that there is a main stream that flows through part of the unit, we found many goats all along there. As mentioned above though, we seen them everywhere for the most part. We enjoyed just sitting up on a small hill and watching the bucks chase each other on the flats, very entertaining. Take your time and have a great hunt!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom