Antlers Dropping?

In the areas I look for antlers/hunt turkeys, I often see deer and elk with both antlers still on in mid April to early May. However, it wouldn't shock me if they dropped earlier this year due to some of the cold and large amounts of snow we had in December.

I saw quite a few bucks over the weekend that were still packing. I did see one fork horn that had only one side, but that may have been an injury. I would say not expect much until March at the earliest. I have a video on here somewhere of several raghorn bulls still packing the last week of May...

My advise to you guys is to stay out of the woods until May 30 and that way it will give me a better chance to find some. Ha!

Every year it gets more and more competitive and guys start March 1 and never quit. I guess the early bird gets the worm.

By the way some of the really big bulls will shed as early as the end of January. Like you have said most raghorns and spikes are mid May or later.

Deer tend to be later that most elk. Coues deer are later than muleys.

I always end up trying to go to early. Last year there were lots of elk with antlers during Turkey season.

Last Saturday I watched 5 good looking bucks for about an hour. As i was watching, one of the smaller 4 point dropped his as i was looking at him. never seen that before. cool to see live.

The earlyiest I ever picked up a fresh deer was Feb. 28 I think the big Bucks shed last week of Feb. 1st week of March. Have seen small 3 points still packing in mid April. Have seen Bulls still packin the last week of March.
Jack

I started to wonder if anyone shed hunted nm. I went on a deer hunt in 37 five years ago and we were picking up sheds from roads. We found quite a few sheds from the truck. And even more while hiking.
Is that normal?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom