Any 2B deer down?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I hear the youth hunt was rough from a couple people that had kids hunt it. Any word from anyone on the first rifle hunt?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

We saw 17 deer, 6 bucks in a day and a half of hunting. Daughter had buck at about 40 yards but she didn't have a broadside shot so she didn't shoot. Also had a wide fork at about 120 but he was facing her so again she didn't shoot. The only animal that presented broadside was a 5x5 bull at about 230 but of course no elk tag. We saw A LOT of sign where we were seeing the deer.

I'm sorry your daughter wasn't able to fill her tag. It sounds like you guys saw more than most from what I hear.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I had 6 or 7 little bucks pinpointed before the hunt with very predicatable patterns until a coyote showed up, and then the weather turned and changed things.

The swirling wind messed us up more than anything else. Still a tough hunt though...

Had a buddy who had the tag with another one of his friends. His buddy killed a fork horn right away... first time hunter so he wasn't being picky. My buddy hunted the whole 5 days and ended up killing a good 3x the last morning. He said that there is lots of forks and was passing up to 10+ a day. He said the deer have started to move but just the does and little guys. So seems to be an average year if you ask me. Ill try to get permission to post their pics...

Hopefully other people are having better luck than we are. Seems like bucks are mia where we are. Spotting doe all over the place but yet to see anything but one forked horn on the first morning. Nothing else since. Extremely frustrating right now but going to keep at it.

I wish you luck, bigharge. I hope you get a good one.

Steve

My son got one opening morning Oct 27. Took 7 hours to process and pack out, but I am getting old. 4x4 21 1/2 wide.

Congrats, bigharge! He's nothing to complain about. See plenty of deer the last couple of days? More deer moving in, I hope?

Steve

Yeah a little bit but still saw very few bucks. They seem to be very nocturnal still. We got lucky and caught this bedded down 275 yds above a small water source. He wasn't moving till after the sun went down.

We shot one other small buck on our last day of the hunt. Was extremely dry where we were and being around water was definitely a good place to start.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom