any advise

huntn30inchers

I am rather new to bowhunting and my shooting is a little shakey. My major problem is my consistency. I am pretty sure that I squeeze my bow as I am releasing which causes me to miss low and left(Am i correct in thinking this?). This almost always happens right after I stick one. Does anyone have anything that might be able to help me get over this before opening weekend. Thanks.

Shoot with an open hand and curl your fingers under so you can't "catch" the bow when it goes off. Also try to keep your bow arm straight until you see the arrow hit the target. If you are shooting low, it could be because you are dropping your bow arm. Practice, practice, and practice. Bow form takes lots of this. Good Luck.

I agree with sixgun. Don't grip your bow tight, keep an open hand, maybe touching your thumb an forefinger. Use a wrist sling if you need to help "catch" you bow after release.
And follow through, try to keep you bow (and arm) up and in the same position until your arrow hits the target. Start shooting at close range until your form and confidence increase, then move back.
If none of this does it, make sure your arrows are properly spined for your bow.
Good luck!

Lien2

I do shoot with an open hand, but my problem is that when my trigger breaks my hand just snaps closed. So tonight im going to try shooting with my fingers curled under and try to concentrate on keeping my bow on the target until a few seconds after the arrow hits. I will probably lighten up the trigger on my release also. Ill reply latter tonight and we will see how it went.

I had this problem too. I started shooting with my hand completely open but found with my bow (its got a little recoil) my groups got bigger even though I wasn't torquing or heeling the bow. So what I do now that helps is tuck my ring finger and pinky finger into my palm (it helps keep the 20 degree angle of my hand) then I relax my bird and index finger not actually toughing the the bow, but close. Then I do what the other guys were saying, I follow through with the shot, meaning I hold the bow in place until the arrow hits the target. It takes alot of concentration at first but shoot at 10 yards and pay no attention to where your arrows are hitting. Right now you're only thinking form. Do this until muscle memory takes over and it becomes second nature. You're grabbing your bow because your subconcious is saying "the bows gonna fall". You just have to learn to override what your natural reaction is. In other words the problem is in your head not your hand. Good luck with your shooting and your hunts this fall. Keep us updated with how its going!

Donnie

Huntn30inchers, those guys gave you some great advise. I'll only add one thing. If you ARE shooting a drop away rest make sure you are coming back to full draw with each shot. If you creep forward before the shot your arrow may drop with some types which can cause you to shoot low. Repetition and consistancy are key. Enjoy!

I just got back from shooting and I am happy to say that you guys were right. It wasnt that I was squeezing my bow is was my follow through(something I didnt even think about before, thanks guys). I was able to shoot several tight groups without one flyer. I just wanted to tell you guys thanks and hopefully I will have a picture of my first bow buck to post by the end of the month.

Thanks for the advice guys. I wasnt squeezing my handle, I was dropping my bow. With this in mind, I shot several dozen arrows without one flyer. I really appreciate all of your input and hopefully I will have a picture to post with my first archery buck.

sixgunn, fold your figers back. Probably the single best bit of advise I've ever read on the internet. I have trouble with grabbing after the release. Just never thought of the folding fingers solution, Thanks.You ever draw a Pauns tag contact me. I owe ya.

When I first started shooting a bow 3 years ago, I was really inconsistent. To correct this I started shooting at only 10 yards from my target. I began to realize that I was able to get a good group and my confidence level went up. I used to worry about hitting the target and that really affected the way I shot. Start shooting closer to your target and gain some confidence. Once I gained my confidence I now longer worried about hitting the target because Ive already got that confidence in my shooting skills. Try it - it worked for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom