Any ideas?

TheBoneCollector

Hunting buddy and I have 10 points each for elk in Colorado. We are thinking of using them in the next couple of years, so that we can start fresh with our sons(they are 10 now). What units do you guys think would be a good hunt? Not looking for a couple of monsters, although it would be nice. Just want to get into some elk. I was thinking the muzzle loader hunts or a 1st rifle season. We don't have horses, but we like to backpack in. We have both killed some good bulls, just looking for a fun hunt. Would love to hear your thoughts.

BC

I know unit 24 requires about 9 pts. for a muzzy hunt. That fits your point total pretty well. Because it's an OTC unit for rifle season, it's not really a trophy unit, but has plenty of elk and is beautiful country. A drop camp might be a good idea. There are plenty of outfitters hunting that area.

Cohntr62,

Thanks for the reply. The Flat Tops look like an ideal hunt for us. Also, how is unit 40 to find public land to hunt? I also thought about 76 1st rifle season. We are close on points for all those.

Thanks, BC

>Cohntr62,
>
>Thanks for the reply. The Flat
>Tops look like an ideal
>hunt for us. Also, how
>is unit 40 to find
>public land to hunt? I
>also thought about 76 1st
>rifle season. We are close
>on points for all those.
>
>
>
>Thanks, BC

I've never been in 40 or 76, but I know 76 has a heck of a reputation. If you can draw 1st season 76, that would have to be near the top of anyone's list. Don't forget about point creep. My son and I have 7 PPs for elk, so we'll be in your shoes in a few years. By the way, I'm leaving for Colo. tomorrow. We have muley licenses and OTC bull tags for unit 23.

Looking at the numbers in the huntodds, looks like you would have about a 3 year wait to draw the regular 1st rifle season in 76 as a nonresident. And that is assuming that no one puts in that didn't last year. You didn't, and there are more of those like you out there. Thus point creep. So, I estimate 4+ years to draw that tag.

I PMed you another idea.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Tx,

Got your pm, thanks. You are spot on about 76. I haven't been to CO in a few years and I'm itching to get back. Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks, BC

You said you wanted a fun hunt. Well you wont have much fun in unit 40 when you are watching the elk hang out on all the private while you are sitting on the only piece of public where you could find room to park your truck.

80% of the land that is used by Elk and deer is private in 40.

Don't waste 10 points on the flat tops! Thats a every year draw unit with tons of hunters and majority of the bulls are rag horns. Go either units 49, 66 or 67. Realistic chances at good bulls. I know of 350 plus bulls that have came out of each of these units so far this season.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tender-outfitters.com

Coloraoboy,

Thanks for your input. As soon as elk season winds down, I will start calling the BLM and Division of Wildlife in those areas.

Thanks again,
BC

Just got home. I got skunked, a friend shot a cow, and my son was high man with a 6x5 bull and 4x4 muley. We saw a lot of elk and bald deer. The bucks must have been at a different elevation. Like I said we saw plenty of does every day, but the only decent buck we saw, my son shot on the last morning. Also we lost a couple of days hunting due to packing out the elk.

Definitely some good areas listed in here. One you might want to take a look at too is Unit 61. I think your still a couple years out for 1st season Rifle. But it sure can be a fun hunt and you will definitely be in some animals. You can pull a nice bull out of there too.

Unit 40 is know for some big animals. And know for a ton of private land. There are some pieces of of BLM but there only two ways to get there. Know the people who own the land cutting it off. Or know the land extremely well.

That being said 1st season the animals for the majority are high on the mountains and that is where majority of the private land is.

Doubt you'lll catch the point creep in 61 as a NR with 10 points and the bull quality up there isnt anything to die for, lots of 270-300 bulls but a 320-330 bull is few and far between. I would be looking 49 or 24. If your in shape and can do some walking and handle the altitude 49 is in my opinion the best hunt for a guy in your shoes. That being said the units south of Gunnison are producing some good bulls including a 360ish archery bull along with a couple others in the 300 class during rifle season. We even killed two 300 (321 and 306) out of 54 this year and a had a muzzy hunter hit and lose a 340-350 bull this year. 24 might be worth a shot also...

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

Some nice bulls came out of 24 during muzz and archery. Don't kid yourself, its rough country and you will need access to horses. Good bulls can be found in the Ripple Creek Pass area in 12. Need horses there as well. Good luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom