any one wanna talk NR pronghorn with me?

JPickett

Long Time Member
someones going to flame me but whatever. i want to try and get over there next year for pronghorn hunt but having never gone i'm not sure where to start. here's my thing-

ill have 3 points

i don't really care if i shoot a buck (wont shoot a doe) just want to have a tag and a unit with some good public land to explore and a chance at seeing proghorns around

gunna bring the foxpro and probably coyote hunt at least 50% of the time. just looking for a fun trip

i look at the draw odds page and see lots of areas that i should be able to get a tag but i don't know them so its tuff to see what would be a total waste of time for the above

obviously im going to do my research, i consider asking about any others relevant experience part of that.

not even thinking im in the running for trophy unit so if even getting pointed in the right corer of the state to start looking into would be cool.

pm if you like. or just tell this NR to go F himself. that's kinda fun to

I will say the hardest part of killing a pronghorn on public land is drawing the tag.

With 3 points, you're most likely going to have to hope for a random tag in the units that have a decent amount of public land. Paying the Special fee might help your odds a little bit.

thanks Chief, with another response i got via pm ill pose another question.

i don't mind waiting, but i want to start figuring out an area. so , whats a good area of the state or group of units i could start making annual coyote hunting trips to while amassing points with public land being the focal priority? again, im not looking for record book anything just a good place for an adventure. 5-6 point units with a chance and some good access what i should be looking for?

The tag cuts will really mess with the draw odds. It will take a couple seasons just to see how it turns out in some areas. Hope for a quick rebound in numbers and some tag increases or 6 points won’t get you much. It will take 9 or 10 in the decent public land units.

In a similar situation, just bought my 4th point. Gotta figure out how to use them now.
Hunted WY speed goats several times in the early 2000's when a tag could be easily drawn.

Go into the NR preference point draw odds. Highlight the units that take the number of points you’re willing to amass and then look at the unit map.

Typically the further east you go the draw odds get easier but the public land goes to almost none.

As mentioned tag cuts really affect the draw. If the herd rebounds the odds may slightly go down but historically it won’t be much as point creep continues to be a reality in the west.

Pronghorn are a lot of fun. Good luck!

Spent some time on the hunt planner today, looking at draw odds, units with public land, researching light weight step ladders. You know, Wyoming stuff

Seriously though, bunch of great reply’s both here and in pm’s. I appreciate it. Going to spend this year making a plan whether it’s try and get a tag or settle on a unit and go for coyote hunt to check it out.

One more question for a Wyoming point draw virgin. If I apply for a unit, i see a “apply points” option. When you do that are you out of the random draw or is any application eligible for the random as well?

Next year when the draw app opens you can apply for a hunt. Right now it’s points only and it closes today. If you apply for a tag you get entered into both draws. Random tags are pretty low odds but technically possible.

Points are always bought later.

Spent some time on the hunt planner today, looking at draw odds, units with public land, researching light weight step ladders. You know, Wyoming stuff

Seriously though, bunch of great reply’s both here and in pm’s. I appreciate it. Going to spend this year making a plan whether it’s try and get a tag or settle on a unit and go for coyote hunt to check it out.

One more question for a Wyoming point draw virgin. If I apply for a unit, i see a “apply points” option. When you do that are you out of the random draw or is any application eligible for the random as well?
Everyone is entered in the preference and random draws.

If it were me, I would roll the dice on a mediocre unit in the special next year. I think the higher prices are going to change things in the Special draw for pronghorn. I would have to think some pretty solid units are going to see tags being drawn in the special with way fewer points.

Not many people will be shelling out that kind of money for a pronghorn is my guess.

Let's be honest, $/inch is far more appropriate these days. Seeing how some people determine score, this could be a real bargain.
Yes, I guess if we are talking a "special" tag then we probably aren't meat hunting but rather horn hunting.
In a 3 point unit the cost is about $16/inch. In one of the higher quality units the cost goes all the way down to about $15/inch - lol.

Don't get me wrong. I love hunting antelope and they are very enjoyable hunts......if you blow a stalk on one buck you can be stalking another buck in a couple hours. However, if you are after a specific target buck, it can get pretty difficult.

Let's be honest, $/inch is far more appropriate these days. Seeing how some people determine score, this could be a real bargain.
Aren’t you the doofus who guessed my pronghorn at low-70’s?

The projected increase in fees is one of the reasons I burned my points this season, drawing Unit 64 with 11 pts…. a steal. Thank you, Wyoming.

Killing an 80”+ pronghorn (about $8/inch), I can now say KMA to the old farts, clowns, comedians and other negative personalities lurking on this site… while waiting to draw my next Wyoming bighorn tag.

But I will repost after my pronghorn is officially scored… so that you will know.

HT

When you apply in Wyoming, I believe they run the preference point draw first and then the random draw. This is only for your first choice.

That means if you didn't have enough points to draw in the PP draw, you have another chance for the tags allocated to the random pool. You cannot pick to be in just the random or PP draw.

If you draw your first choice you lose your points.

The projected increase in fees is one of the reasons I burned my points this season, drawing Unit 64 with 11 pts…. a steal. Thank you, Wyoming.

Killing an 80”+ pronghorn (about $8/inch), I can now say KMA to the old farts, clowns, comedians and other negative personalities lurking on this site… while waiting to draw my next Wyoming bighorn tag.

But I will repost after my pronghorn is officially scored… so that you will know.

HT
Don't believe I said anything about your pronghorn other than to like your OP.

What I will say is act like a man and call me a doofus to my face. Next time you are in Rock Springs send me a note and we will see what you are made of.

What I will say is act like a man and call me a doofus to my face. Next time you are in Rock Springs send me a note and we will see what you are made of.
Haha. This is like the old days of MM, when hotheads regularly challenged one another to fistfights. Grow up.

JPickett - go hunt. We hunt units that can be drawn with zero points every year. This year only one of 6 drew a tag due to tag reductions, but we saw more antelope in that unit than last year. We have always tagged out, but it can be tough. Personally, special draw is tooooooo much $$$$ for an average antelope. We also try to get a doe tag. We have never harvested a buck over 76" in one of those units. It is often checking those small walk ins or small blocks of accessible land once or twice a day, but over a 3 day period, luck has happened and we hunt them almost every year.

thats encouraging advice goforbroke. thank you. im definitely going to start going over there and get some boots on the ground. i appreciate all the messages on here guys. giving me some motivation to get to some new areas. i hunt a lot and do pretty well but getting the itch to see new country even if its eating tags for a bit

Haha. This is like the old days of MM, when hotheads regularly challenged one another to fistfights. Grow up.
Have to say it, if you rile up mulecreek you're about the biggest arsehole on the planet. He's about one of the most honest and pleasant people I know.

There's a problem here hornedtoad, and you're it.

If you stop by Rock Springs, meet up with mulecreek, and walkaway with your ass kicked, it's because you earned it, and deserved it.

What a ?...

Never seen anyone so worked up over the score on a pronghorn that will likely not score 80 anyway.

Take your own advice and grow up.

someones going to flame me but whatever. i want to try and get over there next year for pronghorn hunt but having never gone i'm not sure where to start. here's my thing-

ill have 3 points

i don't really care if i shoot a buck (wont shoot a doe) just want to have a tag and a unit with some good public land to explore and a chance at seeing proghorns around

gunna bring the foxpro and probably coyote hunt at least 50% of the time. just looking for a fun trip

i look at the draw odds page and see lots of areas that i should be able to get a tag but i don't know them so its tuff to see what would be a total waste of time for the above

obviously im going to do my research, i consider asking about any others relevant experience part of that.

not even thinking im in the running for trophy unit so if even getting pointed in the right corer of the state to start looking into would be cool.

Appreciate the Bubbles picture!

3 points you’re looking pretty much at the NE part of the state, primarily private land. Not impossible, especially given your goals (maybe a buck, shoot some coyotes). Probably find access, especially if you are a people person or will pay a little for access

Alternatively, pay up for the special tag and go for 46, 50, or 56. There’s accessible public, and You’ll have chances at a goat, coyotes too. Go later but before deer season opens, have some GPS landownership mapping

Kindof a wash - find some access on private, maybe paying for it;
Or pay a little extra for the tag and gps stuff (and look at the three areas first, especially how much you can access from public roads)

Both would be completely doable, and meet the goals you listed. Be fun either way

the days of drawing 3 antelope tags per hunter in WY are long gone, unfortunately. Their antelope have been hammered the last 5 years.

given the price of the special tag and the (still) long odds, you'd be better off buying an landowner tag in Utah or Colorado and hunt every year

JPickett
Honestly all joking aside, if you want to hunt goats, just find a unit that you can draw with your points and go have fun. I would suggest not to spend the extra money on a "special" tag unless you are truly targeting an 80"+ goat (and 80" might be difficult in any 3 point unit unless you have access to private). Like I said in my previous post, antelope are a blast to hunt. And who knows, you might end up with a trophy if you get lucky.

One thing that is different from most states, if you apply and do not draw, you do not automatically get a point. You get a refund, then you have to go back into the system to buy a point. Unfortunately for you, buying a point had to be done by October 31.

Good luck!

I bought the point this year before the deadline . You get a point when applying correct?

Hunters Must Purchase Wyoming Preference Points July 3 – October 31

As a reminder, Wyoming does NOT provide the option to automatically purchase a point if you are unsuccessful in the license draw. Whether or not you applied in the draw, you’ll need to visit the Wyoming Department of Game and Fish (WDFG) website to purchase points. You have from July 3 until October 31. If you miss this window you will not get a point for 2023.

Between the winter kill and special increase. A guy better do some research before applying next year. I know of a few high point area tags that are for sure to be worthless. Definitely not worth the special price.

WB and ID above are correct. So if you apply next year and don't get drawn, remember to buy a point later.

I know it's on here somewhere, but from memory, the special fee increases from about $300 to $1200 for next year. Plus the ~$300 license fee

i don't know how that works or if this offer coincides with you changing your avatar there to what looks like an alluring trap...but either way i think id like to talk to you about it
If Rob has 25 points. And you have 3. Wyoming takes the average, so you guys can draw a 14 point tag.

17 now and with my point purchase 18 is Max. Wyo. Antelope for me.

I shared my 20 ressy Gen Deer points with a guy, his wife and their daughter this year. I enjoyed doing that.

I'm talking with a guy from Missouri and his son for doing Az. Kaibab bow buck next year with my 24 Az. deer points, his 7 points and his son's 3 points combined/averaged, ya know.

I was thinking about seeing if OutdoorDan and his daughter wanted to do Az bow Kaibab, but you guys know his daughter would arrow a bigger buck than him or I would!!! haha

I like the idea of sharing with a family that brings a son or daughter the opportunity, before they go into the Adult category solo and most prolly will never have the points to ever draw in the future.

Robb

Hopefully Wyo has a decent winter this year or things could get even tighter with tag allocations and quality of bucks. I'd plan on waiting it out to see what the winter has in store before burning a pile of pts. Some units and areas have almost historic low antelope numbers and others are doing ok. Even with tough hunting there still were some exceptional bucks harvested in Wyoming in 2023. There aren't near the number of B&C bucks available as past years but it's still a possibility in certain regions. On the bright side, with fewer tags and hunters in the field it is pretty fun having a lot of country to yourself.

It helps having a little local knowledge of conditions, pronghorn numbers, and quality of bucks available prior to applying. I have been known to share a few hunts with others over the years...hint...hint!

It's great to hear that PleaseDear has unselfishly been willing to share his pts with others on multiple hunts over the years. I have no doubt that anyone lucky enough to share a hunt with PleaseDear will have an incredible time! From what I've seen, point averaging is a win-win for everyone involved.

I shared my 20 ressy Gen Deer points with a guy, his wife and their daughter this year. I enjoyed doing that.

I'm talking with a guy from Missouri and his son for doing Az. Kaibab bow buck next year with my 24 Az. deer points, his 7 points and his son's 3 points combined/averaged, ya know.

I was thinking about seeing if OutdoorDan and his daughter wanted to do Az bow Kaibab, but you guys know his daughter would arrow a bigger buck than him or I would!!! haha

I like the idea of sharing with a family that brings a son or daughter the opportunity, before they go into the Adult category solo and most prolly will never have the points to ever draw in the future.

Robb
Good man right here. It’s good to see there are still some generous and humble men out there. Keep doing your thing Robb. Lots of fathers like myself appreciate the example you are setting for the next generation.

HT
IMG_6912.png

This has been a good thread… but it’s sad the first thing said in the initial post is, “someones going to flame me, but whatever”.

Why is that?

Shows the low level of expectations to which this forum has sunk, due to regular snark from the old farts lurking on this site.

Last edited:

Robb
Save those Wyoming elk points for me and my son, Robb!!! LOL. You're a good guy. Off to Worland to fill whitetail tags. Have a good week my friend.

This has been a good thread… but it’s sad the first thing said in the initial post is, “someones going to flame me, but whatever”.

Why is that?

Shows the low level of expectations to which this forum has sunk, due to regular snark from the old farts lurking on this site.
And yet you made a snarky comment when no one else did. Let it go man.

Hope you find a good fit for your PPs JPicket, good luck with that.

Kick his ass, Seabass!

ill have 3 points

Your a NR, go F yourself.
Someone had to say it.

With 3 points you will not be able to draw a tag in 2024 in a unit with large expanses of public land. You will probably need to build another 3-6 points before you can draw a tag in a unit with lots of public land.

In my opinion, you should continue to build points but go on a coyote hunt this winter and/or next fall to check out an area you are interested in.

I sent you a PM with more information.

Robb
Share your points with me instead. I would appreciate it more than JPickett. I have better eyes than he does to spot pronghorn. I also have hunted multiple different units for pronghorn in Wyoming and have had about 10 pronghorn tags in Wyoming. You could even pool your points with me and JPickett and still draw a good tag.

Unless you really want to burn your points in 2024, you may want to consider holding onto them for a couple more years. I'm optimistic that pronghorn hunting will be much better in Wyoming in 2-5 years than it currently is. Drought and this last winter really did a number on the pronghorn in many areas. Pronghorn populations can bounce back quicker than mule deer. Pronghorn can also grown B&C horns when they are younger.

Your a NR, go F yourself.
Someone had to say it.

With 3 points you will not be able to draw a tag in 2024 in a unit with large expanses of public land. You will probably need to build another 3-6 points before you can draw a tag in a unit with lots of public land.

In my opinion, you should continue to build points but go on a coyote hunt this winter and/or next fall to check out an area you are interested in.

I sent you a PM with more information.

Share your points with me instead. I would appreciate it more than JPickett. I have better eyes than he does to spot pronghorn. I also have hunted multiple different units for pronghorn in Wyoming and have had about 10 pronghorn tags in Wyoming. You could even pool your points with me and JPickett and still draw a good tag.

Unless you really want to burn your points in 2024, you may want to consider holding onto them for a couple more years. I'm optimistic that pronghorn hunting will be much better in Wyoming in 2-5 years than it currently is. Drought and this last winter really did a number on the pronghorn in many areas. Pronghorn populations can bounce back quicker than mule deer. Pronghorn can also grown B&C horns when they are younger.
You sound like jims long lost Brother.

I just got home from 10 days of hunting my D-Ram tag here in my home state.

I wasn't being rude by not answering PM's, let me have time to catch-up.

Thanks,

Robb

I just got home from 10 days of hunting my D-Ram tag here in my home state.

I wasn't being rude by not answering PM's, let me have time to catch-up.

Thanks,

Robb
Pics are on a different thread? Tell us where...especially BESSY...he loves being D-Rammed.

I haven't forgot about ya JP, we have boo-coo time to decide and apply in late May.

Let's see how Az., Ut., and Nv. draws play out before committing.

Thanks,

Robb

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom