Any unit in Utah

Delta

I have enough points to draw any unit. What would you draw. Henry’s don’t impress me now. My dad took 212” typical in 09. I seriously am considering points only.

I’m guessing you have 23-25 points... the top three units in the state ( Pauns/Alton, Henries, oak creeks) Pauns has the highest scoring deer in the state. Maybe put in for Alton CWMU. The oak creeks didn’t produce a deer in the 220s and is the hardest unit in the state to hike/hunt. But if you are not impressed with 200 inch deer anymore then you should mentor the tag and give it to someone in your family that enjoys hunting. You sound like you care more about your point total and the conversation that comes with them than actually drawing a tag. Remember why you got in to hunting and go hunt with as many friends/family that can go with you and your points will be worth whatever deer you kill. Life is not guaranteed... your health and circumstances can change. Why wait?

Yep honestly points only until you kick the bucket, sounds like the best path to a big buck to me. Clearly only a buck from mule deer heaven will do for those points you have.

I don't think there is any argument that the Henry's holds the biggest deer per capita in Utah, but it's also pretty clear that the "cream of the crop" has been skimmed. Unfortunately the same holds true with elk and sheep and antelope and bears in the state.
If you have top points, you should have cashed in back when the quality was better. I should have done the same with my boo coo elk points.
I'd still take a Henry's tag, especially if it were archery or muzzy. By the rifle season the years cream that is left is also pretty cropped off.

Points Only in a State with Steady Decline of Quality Mule Deer For Several Decades?

I have enough points to draw any unit. What would you draw. Henry’s don’t impress me now. My dad took 212” typical in 09. I seriously am considering points only.

I have never drawn the tag. The multi season hunt is what I wanted. Never know they could close a unit again. I remember when both those units reopened after closure.

I’d hunt either the Henry Mtns or the Pauns next year with any amount of points and be happy as a clown on Christmas.

From what I’m told, 2019 was a VERY good year on the Pauns.

If you say you can draw any tag guaranteed why not draw antelope island if you are so certain. I am sure doyle and his gang could find you a buck that might tickle your fancy
AI is a random draw. He's saying he can draw any tag with a bonus tag available.

No one can draw the island with bonus points. Only one tag is available, zero bonus point tags available.

I would just go hunt a buck because who knows what the future holds. Maybe mike lee will get his way and the henries will belong to a mining company next year....... you just never know

If those were my points then I would hold onto them until I learned everything about the HOW in the unit. Some people are very disappointed after waiting for so many years because they think it is all about the WHERE and not put much time into the HOW. There are hunters out there that can be just as successful on monster bucks in units they can hunt every year because they learn the how and put in the time.

The biggest problem with points is the EXPECTATION of a certain type (size) animal.
With that said, to each his own.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Zeke

I'd Bet MAX Points doesn't Guarantee a Tag on the Henries?

Maybe I'm Wrong?
I believe there is the only one resident with max points that has been applying for the Henry’s.
However I think there are a few of them that have max points but are just buying points only.
So you are right elk max points probably won’t guarantee they Henry’s tag but may be a 50-50 shot

My son will be 12 next year. The mentor idea is the best I have heard. Kids these days don’t have a chance in the draw. This is how he will hunt a draw unit. I have taken my share.
Not true at all. There are plenty of LE tags that can be had with less than 10 points right now.

And in general points don't guarantee you a tag. clearly everyone here realizes that all a point does is put your name in the hat another time for the drawing. 20 points 20 times your name can be drawn. Every year some tags get drawn by people with very few points, is it likely you will draw with 5 points on the Henries, no but there is still that chance is CAN happen.

20 points actually means 21 entries. One for each point and also the current application.

There does come a point where your points do “guarantee” you a tag when you’re the highest point holder in that pool. I use the quotes because nobody actually controls when that happens so it is kind of a loose guarantee.

My buddies mom drew the Henry's last year and turned her tag back in because of health reasons. I'm pretty sure she had 22 points. She will be applying again this year although there's a possibility she puts in for the Paus this year.

Last edited:
I always thought points give you X amount of chances to draw one lowest number.
The only number that counts is your lowest one.

I always thought points give you X amount of chances to draw one lowest number.
The only number that counts is your lowest one.

I think that's basically how it works. The lowest assigned random numbers get the tags. Or something like that.

But, you have to remember Utah automatically gives 50% of the tags to the people in the highest point pool. It's more of a combo preference/bonus point system.

Having spent quite a bit of time on both the Henries and Pauns, the two are really hard to compare. I guess it depends on your hunting style. The Henry's offers great glassing opportunities. Not so much on the Pauns (depending on season). The lower end of the Pauns is really thick with junipers and tall sage. There could be a big buck 50 yards from you in that stuff and you would never know he is there. Both Units produce trophy bucks every year. Finding one that doesnt have a full time eye on him from July on is another story. With that said, I know of 1 person with max points that just buys a point every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom