Any Wyoming Moose Down?

W

wapiti11

How has the Moose hunting been in Wyo. Any Bulls down yet?
I haven't seen much on MM.

48f7f1a403b758c7.jpg

I got this one on the rifle opener in 27 of WYO this year.

I SHOT A SMALL BULL IN THE GREYS, NOT EVEN WORTHY OF A PICTURE ON MY LAST DAY OF HUNTING. WAY TOO MANY WOLVES IN THIS AREA SAY THE LOCALS. I SAW LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF THE MOOSE I HAVE SEEN IN RECENT YEARS. THE TEMPS WERE HOT.....DONT WASTE YOUR TIME IN UNIT 23. THE STATE OF WYOMING HAS LOST MY BUSINESS DUE TO THE MISMANAGMENT OF WOLVES........YD.

I'd agree. Wyoming absolutely shot themselves in the foot with the wolf issue. The fact is we have them now and Wyoming went for the throat and got carried away...now we are sitting back where we were, not being able to pull the trigger.

YD,
I was wondering how you did, we chatted a little before the season. Sounds like a "ok" moose hunt. Sounds like I sould mark 23 off my list. Did you see any wolves? The same thing is happening with the moose in MT. right now. My elk archery area used to be loaded with moose, now it is loaded with scattered bones. Did you hear of any decend moose shot in 23?
Take care.

WAPITI.....SAW A NUMBER OF BIG TRACKS, BUT I DID NOT SEE A WOLF.....BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SEEN A FEW. IT WAS A VERY DIFFICULT MOOSE HUNT, NEVER SAW OR HEARD OF ANOTHER MOOSE BEING TAKEN. ALL OF THE DEER HUNTERS I TALKED TO HAD NOT SEEN ONE MOOSE EITHER....MOST WERE ON HORSES. I WOULD MARK 23 RIGHT OFF YOUR LIST. GOOD LUCK.....YD.

YD,
Thanks for the reply. Now, I am really not sure what to do with
my points for Wyo. moose. Not sure what area to look at with all the negative comments I have heard lately. At this time of year there sould be some great moose posted here at MM. I have seen only one so far.

WAPITI....I DONT WANT TO SOUND NEGATIVE, I JUST WANT TO PAINT A CLEAR PICTURE OF THE SITUATION. UNIT 23 USED TO BE GREAT, THINGS HAVE CHANGED A BUNCH. IF YOU HAVE THE POINTS I WOULD LOOK AT SOME OF THE NON WOLF UNITS SUCH AS 38 & 1....HOMEWORK WILL BE THE KEY.......YD.

Chewyman, That is a sweet bull. Well done. What's the story. Did you see a lot of moose? Was it DIY or guided? How wide is that bull? How many points did it take you to draw?

It's not all bad news from Wyoming. I killed a nice bull that'll book and saw another guy with a big moose that was 48" wide. I saw one other big one the day before I shot mine but couldn't catch up to him. It was surprisingly easy as I only hunted for 5 days. That said, the moose aren't what they used to be and populations are probably down about 75% from 5 or 6 years ago.

Thanks...he was good enough for me. He goes 42" wide. I loved his bulky front ends so decided he was the one...and he was only about a 5 minute drive from home. I hunted him everday archery, missed a 38 yd shot that broke my heart. He vanished for the rut and I ran into him again the night before the rifle opener. Got him that morning and breathed a sigh of relief. Area 27 still is strong as far as numbers. We don't have the wolf issues that nothern units are dealing with. I saw some solid bulls. No monsters but, very respectable critters. Other units are beat up pretty bad. I had 11 Resident points but, 27 can be drawn with 10 because it has access issues. Lots of private land to deal with. It has some good Natl Forest by the Uinta Mtns but, that's about it. It was fun to chase em. I have a new respect for moose.

wapiti11,
I was hunting in Teton County. There's better areas in Wyoming these days due to the wolves here and lack of wolves elsewhere but I hunted here as this is where I live. Could someone send me an email on how to post a photo.

I know this is a terrible picture but apparently my new cell phone's camera doesn't work too well. But here's my moose.

4904f8dc42aa5a30.jpg

Blueticker, that is a sweet shiras. You have to mix in a digital camera next time. You owe it to your friends on MM!

Blueticker- come on man, SHOW US BETTER PHOTOS!!! please.... That is a giant.

Congrats to all you guys who have posted photos.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I know my cell phone picture sucks but all I can post are some more crappy pics that aren't any better. I'm on a job site in Indiana right now and can't take any new photos. The moose is a good bull but he's not a giant. He's got good palm length and width but he could use a little more spread. I've got another picture (also kind of crappy) of him alive where you can see his size somewhat but I can't seem to get it to post on this site cuz it has too many Kbytes.

Here's a couple pictures of my wife's moose she killed in '03.
4909184d41b80639.jpg

49091eac7f1a4d8b.jpg

Bluetick,
Your wife is young!
lol

------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom