Anybody Hear About This Outfitter Proposal?

Just to let everyone know, in a recent conversation I had with the WYOGA Sec/Treas(and co-founder), after the license fee increase bill failed this past session, WYOGA strongly supported a bill that would ONLY raise non-resident fees. They obviously feel higher license fees will help them draw more of their clients who are willing to pay extra to hunt in Wyoming. In fact I was told WYOGA thought this was a better solution than an across the board increase.

The bill died because of another license increase bill was considered and time was running out for bill consideration.

Here's is my idea for G&F funding. Outfitters have approx. 10,000 client hunts. Outfitters should pay the G&F(which they will pass on to clients anyway) $250 per client per species. Simple math $2.5 million!

This is not out of line considering what outfitters pay landowners per animal for clients to hunt on private property.

jm77---So you know Sy huh? I knew his rank in the group, but didn't realize he had anything to do with getting that group started! I went on my one and only guided hunt with his outfit back in 1994 when he was still working at the fire station in Casper. Some of his guides worked there too. That doesn't surpise me about WOGA just being for a NR fee increase, as IMHO all they are interested in is their bottom line and that's their NR customers who have money to burn!

>jm77---So you know Sy huh?
>I knew his rank in
>the group, but didn't realize
>he had anything to do
>with getting that group started!
>I went on my one
>and only guided hunt with
>his outfit back in 1994
>when he was still working
>at the fire station in
>Casper. Some of his
>guides worked there too. That
>doesn't surpise me about WOGA
>just being for a NR
>fee increase, as IMHO all
>they are interested in is
>their bottom line and that's
>their NR customers who have
>money to burn!

Yes Mike, I know Sy, I went to high school with him, and have watched as he was in the forefront of outfitters leasing private ranches that traditionaly allowed hunting. He became very instrumental in representing outfitters during legislative sessions and pushed things like the special draw for NR and preference points for NR. He tried to get landowner sponsered tags and the residents put a stop to that. Sy has done more to promote outfitting in Wyoming than anyone I know of, period.

He was also involved in getting the outfitter board started and out of the G&F control. I dare say Sy's relationship to the leadership of the G&F is a tad troubling. He was recently invited to Cheyenne to review a RESIDENT sportsman survey!!! He was invited to attend a meeting in Casper, with Director Talbott, for Wyo taxidermists!!!( I was there sitting next to him) If you look, WYOGA has a Casper address and I assume Sy picks up the mail.

I assure you, resident hunters are waking up to things now and like Buzz and myself, we are becoming more involved in the process. Sportsman have to be represented in Cheyenne because in the past it was only WYOGA/WYSFW down there talking G&F issues.

Just for the sake of clarification, the WYOGA has NOTHING to do with the board to oversees the outfitters and guides in Wyoming. That would be a government Board that was established by the Wyoming legislature. It is called the WYOMING STATE BOARD OF OUTFITTERS AND PROFESSIONAL GUIDES.

I'd think some of you would be well aware of that. It's just like any other state administered board. Doctors, veterinarians, real estate people, and so many others are licensed
in the same manner. I will say that the licenses for the outfitters are the most expensive of anything in the state. When Game and Fish administered the outfitters, the license was $25. Now, with the State Board, it is 20+ times that.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-13 AT 08:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-13 AT 08:35?PM (MST)

>Just for the sake of clarification,
>the WYOGA has NOTHING to
>do with the board to
>oversees the outfitters and guides
>in Wyoming. That would
>be a government Board that
>was established by the Wyoming
>legislature. It is called
>the WYOMING STATE BOARD OF
>OUTFITTERS AND PROFESSIONAL GUIDES.
>
>I'd think some of you would
>be well aware of that.
> It's just like any
>other state administered board. Doctors,
>veterinarians, real estate people, and
>so many others are licensed in the same manner. I will say that the licenses for the outfitters are the most expensive of anything in the state. When Game and Fish administered the outfitters, the license was $25. Now, with the State Board, it is 20+ times that.

***Thanks much for that clarification because I thought that an outfitter's license could be pulled for egregious violations that are able to be proved. I just didn't know exactly how it was done and who did it.

Yes, the WSBO&PG oversees outfitters and guides. It is a seven member board of which the majority(4) are outfitters or guides.( I stand by my comment that outfitters police themselves) And yes, outfitters and guides pay a much higher license fee now of which NONE goes to any effort to help the resource, but simply funds another bureaucracy. Which, I might add, spends a great deal of it's money making sure Joe from Wyoming isn't trading hunts with Bill from Illinois.

Jim, I would like to know your thoughts on outfitters having to pay the State Board and getting a pass on G&F funding. Does it make sense that an industry, that relys so heavily on wildlife, does not help fund management?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom