anybody here get one?

JPickett

Long Time Member
one of the 2 left over 44 archery tags this morning? i was on a half hour early but my number was 750 when the lobby opened up. oh well

That's a controlled hunt isn't it? I thought that was all in the second draw?

Ah, you prolly mean Deer not elk.

Deer, and it’s a controlled hunt. This year they had a first come first serve to buy left o er early hunts since the second draw runs part an 8/15 start date to the tags.

Deer, and it’s a controlled hunt. This year they had a first come first serve to buy left o er early hunts since the second draw runs part an 8/15 start date to the tags.
I applied for that tag last year but didn't draw. There were a couple tags left last year also but I didn't apply for the second draw just because of what you said. Seasons open before you find out if you get the tag.

I think they need to consider drawing a few alternate tags in August seasons where the results of the second draw are after the opening date of the season. That's a decent tag to pick up but probably not worth getting too upset about.

However what if somebody (s) didn't buy their tag in time in unit 55 early rifle for mule deer that opens on August 15th also. First phone caller gonna get that tag too!?

I think they better rethink how they did that this year. Cow and youth tags are a little different.

My 2cents.

It seemed pretty fair to me. They make everyone wait till 10 to buy the unclaimed tags, at 10 your assigned a random number in line before you can log in. Probably better odds then the second draw

kinda ridiculous how they left some of the early season hunts out, there were tags for the 39 august hunt that they put into the 2nd draw. Same for the 21 august archery, where the only benefit is the first 15 days before the general archery season opens.

kinda ridiculous how they left some of the early season hunts out, there were tags for the 39 august hunt that they put into the 2nd draw. Same for the 21 august archery, where the only benefit is the first 15 days before the general archery season opens.
Yes there were several archery areas that had tags left. It appears that they only did it to the units that closed on September 14th.

Apparently they figure the ones that stay open till September 30th still get lots of time in the field.

It seemed pretty fair to me. They make everyone wait till 10 to buy the unclaimed tags, at 10 your assigned a random number in line before you can log in. Probably better odds then the second draw
You said your number was 750. In the first draw for archery in unit 44 there was 250 people who applied for 50 tags. I'll pretty much guarantee your odds of getting one of those tags in the second draw was way better but I can't be sure!

Water under the bridge regardless.

There are no worse odds anywhere than the second draw. It’s almost literally a donation when you put in.

But it’s fun to dream
I want a damn deer tag and I'll take any and all legal routes to potentially getting one. None available for the unit I want in the second draw this year.

There are no worse odds anywhere than the second draw. It’s almost literally a donation when you put in.

But it’s fun to dream
I think it depends on what you want. There are a lot of tags that seem to be easy to draw, of course they aren't premium units, but I don't mind picking up an elk tag and filling a freezer since I put in for sheep in the first go round.

That’s true. Theirs probably some tags in the second draw you could pick up easy. I end up giving probably 70% of the meat I take every year away so no real motivation there anymore. Kids are about gone and we just don’t eat it. So I swing for the fences on every tag I put in for

I want a damn deer tag and I'll take any and all legal routes to potentially getting one. None available for the unit I want in the second draw this year.
Look for landowner tags. Expensive if you can find one but it is an "any and all legal route".

Not necessarily. There are a bunch of legal ways to transfer landowner tags and/or tags requiring landowner permission. There are also outfitter tags allotted to specific private lands.

If I remember right you can charge an access fee to your land and transfer a land owner tag to someone for no cost. Never done it so I could be way off but I’ve heard that

Yeah, you pay for access. The tag just happens to accompany the payment for access. Or you can(you actually must) enter into a contract with an outfitter in order to apply for an allotted and guaranteed tag knowing that the outfitter is the only licensed outfitter on a given block of private land and has exclusive access. All of which is perfectly legal, ask your game commissioner if you don't believe me. Now we can dispense with the legal technicalities of traceability of funds and just call it what it is; paying for land owner tags.

I know exactly what is required on both sides of the equation.
Asking Pappa government isn't necessary.
Paying for a landowner tag in Idaho is illegal.
Paying to access private property is not.
This program was developed as a thank you to the landowners that feed the wildlife year round.
How do you feel about paying a private land access fee to acquire your land owner tag and then hunting on the public ground in the unit???

I know exactly what is required on both sides of the equation.
Asking Pappa government isn't necessary.
Paying for a landowner tag in Idaho is illegal.
Paying to access private property is not.
This program was developed as a thank you to the landowners that feed the wildlife year round.
How do you feel about paying a private land access fee to acquire your land owner tag and then hunting on the public ground in the unit???

The intention was to give landowners a more reasonable shot at tags others had a lesser chance at. Not to give them a financial windfall.

Didn’t get that one tried, son got the early 39 youth pronghorn. Now if I could just find them not hanging out on private ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom