Anyone have relationships ruined during a hunting trip?

I have to confess Zeke……. I don’t think I’ve ever met a woman like your wife……. ?
Yes DC, She’s done that to me more than a couple times, over the years, on elk that she’s shot BUT she packs too (smaller loads for sure) and she’s there step for step!
I packed antlers and cape of a 383” bull she shot and it was a long long ways to the truck. Again, I insisted on getting help from a couple sons-in-law but NO. That was not going to fly! Back in and out twice more the same day. I’m thankful my brother was there to help since he usually packs even more than I do.
It was still lots of work for 3 people!
Her deer this year was 138 yards from the 4-wheeler. That was better! Haha

Zeke

I took my bride hunting 45 years ago (before we were married). Sitting together on a point. I said look there’s a couple deer coming down that ridge. She said what are you going to do? Me, if one has antlers I’ll shoot him. Her, but they’re so pretty, Me, hey, the sun is starting to go down, we’d better get back to the truck. She likes me to go hunting and she likes the meat that I occasionally bring home, but she has never gone with.

Yes DC, She’s done that to me more than a couple times, over the years, on elk that she’s shot BUT she packs too (smaller loads for sure) and she’s there step for step!
I packed antlers and cape of a 383” bull she shot and it was a long long ways to the truck. Again, I insisted on getting help from a couple sons-in-law but NO. That was not going to fly! Back in and out twice more the same day. I’m thankful my brother was there to help since he usually packs even more than I do.

Zeke
I always took you for a tough ole boot Zeke. I figure it takes a hell of a woman to whip your a$$. Pretty darn sure I wouldn’t survive long in her presence.

Ok, I had a coworker that wanted to go on a short-range deer hunt with me in a Washington State many years ago. I had the Intel, the boat that was needed to get there and tge truck to pull the boat. We got to the unloading area and he jumped over the bow, ran up the hill and killed two deer a d said I could have the small one.
On another trip I went with a guy with my truck and camper. We drove two hours for an elk hunt no big deal. I head up the canyon and spot a big herd. I took a shot and missed at 500 or so yards. They ran onto the refuge. He had tired out without even getting to a one mile uphill and not too steep hike. I find him and he said he fell and knocked scope off and if I would take him back to town he would get another rifle of his and repay me for fuel and return back. He called that night after dropping him off and said he was sick. Found out later he was chasing tail in a bar that night. I brought a learning curve to my hunting trips. Not dealing with that stuff again.
Oh I didn't concisely day I had to anchor the boat while he hurried up the hill and shot both deer. It was an island so he didn't let me get my chance. I should have had first dibs. I'm over it anyway.

Zeke
You have a good one Zeke ! Mine is tough but not that tough.

Can’t say transportation for a hunt has ever ruined a relationship for me. But I’ve had a couple friendships ruined over “buddies” that I’ve felt were good enough friends to take hunting with me and share extremely good spots with that I have spent some serious time into learning and perfecting or have had passed down to me from my dad. Only to have them suddenly think that the gate was wide open for them and they could tell everyone about and bring their buddies/family members to when I wasn’t around…

Okay, I'll tell a story about a hunt I ruined for my partner.

Back in the mid 60's we were duck hunting on Gunther Island Humboldt Bay using decoys. I had my 8' pram, and my buddy had his scull boat.

A flock of 8 Brant landed in the Bay about 200 yards out. He suggested we both get in his scull boat and put the sneak on them. Good idea!

I was up front, and my buddy was on the oar. He said "let's kill them all, take no prisoners!" The limit was 4 each.

We got 25 yards from them and he said, "take the birds on the right and I'll take the left side, on 3...1,2,3 NOW!"

I sat up and started on the right and shot and pumped as fast as I could moving to the left. When my gun was empty there were 8 dead Brant on the water. He never fired a shot. He said every time he started to pull the trigger the Brant was already dead.

He was seriously pissed. He wouldn't even take his 4 birds and made me take them all.

He went on to join the Marines, went to Vietnam, and later became a game warden in Kalispell, Montana. We haven't spoken in a few years. He's probably retired by now.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll tell a story about a hunt I ruined for my partner.

Back in the mid 60's we were duck hunting on Gunther Island Humboldt Bay using decoys. I had my 8' pram, and my buddy had his scull boat.

A flock of 8 Brant landed in the Bay about 200 yards out. He suggested we both get in his scull boat and put the sneak on them. Good idea!

I was up front, and my buddy was on the oar. He said "let's kill them all, take no prisoners!" The limit was 4 each.

We got 25 yards from them and he said, "take the birds on the right and I'll take the left side, on 3...1,2,3 NOW!"

I sat up and started on the right and shot and pumped as fast as I could moving to the left. When my gun was empty there were 8 dead Brant on the water. He never fired a shot. He said every time he started to pull the trigger the Brant was already dead.

He was seriously pissed. He wouldn't even take his 4 birds and made me take them all.

He went on to join the Marines, went to Vietnam, and later became a game warden in Kalispell, Montana. We haven't spoken in a few years. He's probably retired by now.
Sounds like you had a street sweeper, or bay sweeper.

It was a JC Higgins (Sears)12-gauge pump, a major upgrade from the bolt action 16 gauge I started with.:)
My first was a old bolt action too. Me and whoever owned it for years before me, wore the claw completely off the extractor. The gun smith said building a new one would cost more than the old sludge hammer was worth. I bought this one to replace it. $10.00

Doubt you can read the stamp on the sight flat, it says Laminated Steel. I feel like at cat with a thousand lives.

80CAB806-3D97-4F73-96AC-FF74CE75715B.jpeg

33567837-0413-48F0-9024-4D382FCFB4EC.jpeg

ACCED380-B538-4B54-8106-63D3A5BF3DB7.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom