Anyone in Nebraska?

First off welcome home. I live in central Nebraska west of Broken Bow. Deer numbers throughout the state are really high, we haven't had an outbreak of any of the diseases that can wipe out the population. It's been about 6 years since blue tongue really hurt the whitetails. As you know Nebraska doesn't manage for quality so that hasn't changed much although we are seeing some very good whitetails especially around the Platte. As you probably know more and more land is being leased or purchased by big money a California contractor just purchased some of my best whitetail hunting area. When you establish residency apply for elk right away there is always a chance and they are taking some huge bulls south of North Platte and also the Northwest. You can draw an antelope tag every 3rd year as it usually takes 2 or sometimes 3 points depending on the unit I usually hunt Wyoming as antelope in Nebraska still don't have the genetics and lush grass evidently doesn't grow big antelope.

As far as bird hunting turkeys have had a few bad hatches but still plenty around, the obvious limiting factory is private access if you're moving to a rural area you should be able to get access if you meet local people, if you're coming into a metro area it will be harder. Pheasants in the southwest are really doing well It opens tomorrow central part of the state is still down some from 10 years ago because of lack of habitat. Grouse and chickens it is a down year but I've already shot 20 or so.

The Huskers are terrible but better times are coming. Welcome back and good luck and if you want to PM me with any specific questions feel free to I spend a lot of time hunting throughout the state.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-18 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]>First off welcome home. I
>live in central Nebraska west
>of Broken Bow. Deer
>numbers throughout the state are
>really high, we haven't had
>an outbreak of any of
>the diseases that can wipe
>out the population. It's
>been about 6 years since
>blue tongue really hurt the
>whitetails. As you know
>Nebraska doesn't manage for quality
>so that hasn't changed much
>although we are seeing some
>very good whitetails especially around
>the Platte. As you
>probably know more and more
>land is being leased or
>purchased by big money
>a California contractor just
>purchased some of my best
>whitetail hunting area. When
>you establish residency apply for
>elk right away there is
>always a chance and they
>are taking some huge bulls
>south of North Platte and
>also the Northwest. You
>can draw an antelope tag
>every 3rd year as it
>usually takes 2 or sometimes
>3 points depending on the
>unit I usually hunt Wyoming
>as antelope in Nebraska still
>don't have the genetics and
>lush grass evidently doesn't grow
>big antelope.
>
>As far as bird hunting turkeys
>have had a few bad
>hatches but still plenty around,
> the obvious limiting factory
>is private access if you're
>moving to a rural area
>you should be able to
>get access if you meet
>local people, if you're
>coming into a metro area
>it will be harder.
>Pheasants in the southwest are
>really doing well It opens
>tomorrow central part of the
>state is still down some
>from 10 years ago because
>of lack of habitat.
>Grouse and chickens it is
>a down year but I've
>already shot 20 or so.
>
>
>The Huskers are terrible but better
>times are coming.
>Welcome back and good luck
>and if you want to
>PM me with any specific
>questions feel free to I
>spend a lot of time
>hunting throughout the state.
I bet that California Contractor is not a Democrat?

Thanks for the info. I make yearly deer trips back home but they are limited to like 2 weeks a time. But yea I remember the disease issues with deer. I'm 95% a meat hunter so monsters arent a big factor in my world, doe is a good tasting thing. Haha

I'll be working out of kearney area. Have/had a few contacts in the area that almost beg me to come out and shoot turkeys so well see if that still stands.Almost forgot about Nebraksa elk. Never hunted them. And yes I'm well aware of hunting leases being sold to out of states. Me and some buddies almost bought some river ground a few years back. Wed hunted it and all bagged some decent deer so figured when it came up for sale well go for it. Like a day out from signing and guy says " just a reminder, the sale doesnt include the hunting rights" which hed sold to somone for almost as much as he was asking for the land. So needless to say it didnt happen... I didnt need to go to prison for shooting trespassers. Lol

Not sure if were the only two here but I'll ask anyway... anyone ever hunt elk in nebraksa? I cant recall ever even seeing one in nebraksa. Few years ago head about a kid who finally got let out on his own deer hunting and brought back a monster deer to the check in and turned out to be ( obviously at that) an elk. But that's about only instance I've really heard of elk.

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphq...3NDk5MjQzMTUyODI0MjU6MjE3MTEyMzk2OTgyOTEyMg==

97253screenshot20181027114956chrome.jpg

#livelikezac

I have seen elk a few times just across the Colorado/Nebraska stateliness on my way East, just South of the Interstate. I have also seen them down by the Kansas border couple of times. The state record is a very nice bull.

I've seen elk in Nebraska off the interstate. I dont live there, and only go for about a week every 3 years when its my turn to go between my brother and bro in law hunting with my dad.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

There are a couple guys on MM that have killed big elk in Nebraska I'll let them chime in if they want to, one killed a bull this year that has to be north of 350. I see quite a few elk in the Northwest we occasionally see a few in central Nebraska I suspect access to them and the damage they do to cornfields and fences leads to their disappearance through poachers or unhappy ranchers and farmers that's just a suspicion. I've put in every year they've had the tag 27 years I think never drawn. I know a couple guys that have drawn the first year they put in the hardest part is drawing the tag.

Huskers have been getting pounded since joining BIG 10 but fans are diehard and pack the stadium every week.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom