applegate muzzleloader blacktails

N

Naildriver

any reports of rutting activity? My hunt starts in about a week. Thanks

I've been hunt'n up around Anderson Butte and Burton Butte the last few days, tried rattling horns, still trying to fill my gen. season deer tag, no rutting going on yet.
BLM currently are burning slash piles- real smokey right now, it might get better with some rain to cool things off, deer are in there but its tough, they are kegged up right now- good luck GG

thanks For The Update GG.how does it look for bears? I have a bear tag also

know of a couple nice bears taken out around Grayback mtn. and Cave jct.
Saw one bear about the size of a suitcase(small!) in the back of a guys rig in the Rogue unit about 2 weeks ago- maybe somebody else on here has some better info for you.
Good luck on the muzzy hunt- GG

The bucks are starting to rut! Several have hit the dirt in the last few days! I saw two bears last weekend, but the bear activity is starting to dwindle! Good luck, and keep us posted.

Naildriver, to say that the horn growth this year was good, is an understatement! My wife shot a 5x5 scoring about 136-138! I thought that was big until I went to my distant cousins house yesterday. He shot a 5x4 that is around 180!!! Both bucks are true blacktails, no crosses. What a year!

Spent the weekend scouting the Applegate area, did not see much in the way of bucks. Pleanty of scrapes so I know they are around. Did get a great lay of the land and scouted a couple promising spots. This is my first muzzleloader hunt.Might pass on the first week of the season and consentrate on Thankgiving week. Mostly becasue that's when I have the most time away from work.

Shooting great 100 yrd groups with the .54 so I can't wait to get out there. Hoping to have my 2yr old daughter close by for the time we are up there (19th -28th), it will be her second big game hunt this year. Took a dandy elk in September and she still talks about it!

If anyone has any thoughts feel free to PM me.
Thanks and good luck.

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

>Naildriver, to say that the horn
>growth this year was good,
>is an understatement! My
>wife shot a 5x5 scoring
>about 136-138! I thought
>that was big until I
>went to my distant cousins
>house yesterday. He shot
>a 5x4 that is around
>180!!! Both bucks are
>true blacktails, no crosses.
>What a year!
That sounds like a great year for the both of you. Got any pics to share? Love those blacktails!

My wife's blacktail is in the topic hunt success, on the Oregon forum! As for the 180 blacktail, all I have is pictures on paper. I'll try to get some downloaded!

Oneway,
That wasn't the buck out of Roseburg was it? Got a cell pic yesterday of a buck that supposedly green scored 172".

Tell the hunter congrats on a giant blacktail. There is a pic of it on ifish.net under monster blacktail if you want to see it.

I hunted opening day. It was a nice pleasant day but the deer really didnt seem all that active in my neck of the unit. In fact it appeared they have not fully migrated into the area.

I have four days in a row off coming up and hope to make good use of the time.

Good luck to you on your adventure.
Hand

The deer were not moving too well last weekend. We only saw 4 bucks and only one was a shooter. They were locked down in the thick stuff, my guess is you will see some rutting activity in the next few days. We are also supposed to get some weather which will definitely help. Good luck!

I am switching my long 34" barrelled rifle for a short barrelled gun. I love that big ole gun, a traditional hawken style rifle that was hand-built and true to the screw for an old time gun. However it is not very handy in thick nasty brush and mountains like the ones in the Applegate.

The short stainless steel gun will be much easier to pack around, not to mention clean up (like with a garden hose). I used it years back to kill my largest Oregon buck. Maybe it will do the trick again.

The weather is indeed preparing to change. I am hoping for a change in luck as well. In my home neck of the woods, which is a hundred miles to the east of the Applegate, the muleys are just starting to rut. I was out and about today and saw a nice 150 class 4x4 chasing a doe. A webbed horn three-point was hanging around for a chance. Later I saw a large (22-ish and tall) three point chasing a doe with another teaser buck chasing another close by. In all I saw about 6 bucks today. I am hoping the critters in the Applegate are getting just as frisky.

I had the tag last year and blew my hunt money early and had to settle on a spike. As I was dragging the little guy out, I noticed rubs that had not been there the day before. Immediately it became clear that I screwed up and shot my wad too soon. I called another guy who had a tag and told him what I had seen and gave him directions. His first trip in he see's a sloth but was unable to get a shot. On his second trip he kills a five year old three point. A very nice buck indeed. With that in mind, I am trying to be patient. The forecast for snow is getting me excited....

I had the tag two years in a row now. Please note that this is not a slam dunk ruttin buck hunt. You will need to do a large amount of homework and need to obtain some good info on where you can and cannot hunt and how to access some spots.

Year number one. I really didnt do a lot of homework and just kind of free lanced it. I was not finding the type of stuff that I like to hunt. Finally at the end I found some little parcels that I liked along with decent deer numbers. In all this goofing around I burned up all my hunt money and shot a spike to take home for meat. I immediately recognized my blunder as I began seeing fresh rubs as I was packing him out. I sent a fried into the same spot and he saw a large toad but didnt get a shot then later killed a nice three point.

This first year I never really saw a lot of deer and never saw a large buck. It was kinda depressing.

Year number two. Unbelievably I drew the tag again. I start hunting the area where I finished off. I found that the deer were not in the area like they had been so I began looking elsewhere. I found another area that I like. The trouble with the two spots are that they are about an hour apart.

This second year I saw a pretty fair number of deer. One deer was clearly a booner. He had beautiful deep forks on the right side and clearly had matching back forks the left side. I never really got a feel for his left front fork and would be the weak link if there was one. I saw a deer on one of my last hunts that was very large. He was on the wrong side of the B&C line and likely would not have scored well. However, this deer will haunt me... wow. I had him at about 60 yards however all I could see was his antlers and at times pieces of his head. At one point I saw antlers, head and neck down to the throat patch. I thought about a head shot.... but chose against it. I sat there believing that my opportunity would come. It never did.

My tag went unfilled. I hate to admit it but I did miss three different bucks, none of them were big. I am still shaking my head as to how that happened. The gun is on so it must be the nut behind the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom