Application Paralysis - Unit 22, 53, or 70

jschaffer

So I am suffering from application paralysis. I really want to cash in my deer points this fall, but cannot seem to decide. so I could use some help. if you had to decide from unit 53 third season, 22 third season, or 70 fourth season, what would you do? I believe 22 would be a for sure draw, the other two should be, but hard to know with what may happen with applicants because of the late season.

Just looking for a good hunt and chance at a respectable deer. Doesn't need to be a booner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My gut reaction to your inquiry is 70 4th . . . It's in epic deer country, the winter there this year was easy, and that season in 2016 is going to be laaaaaaaaate!

Good Luck . . .

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-16 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]

Agree 70 is a better area for deer and going to be a boon of a rut this year for hunter who draw! 53 has lots of hunter and pressure to burn points in.... Go 70 and good luck!!!

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

You would have longer to hunt, but sometimes those big dudes take their sweet time getting after the ladies.

This may seem like a silly question, but when is the "typical" peak of the rut in southern Colorado? For us and up north, it really kicks in around Veterans day (Nov 11). I realize it is weather dependent to really get them moving, but is the rut in Colorado a bit later?

With the majority of fawns born the last week of may thru the first week of june. Gestation is roughly 200 days so if my math is right the majority are bred the first couple weeks of november. I think they act a little careless from the last week of October thru to thanksgiving. With a second estrous of unbred and young does the first week or so of December.

It's variable, but the biggest bucks seem to be getting going by mid November. They'll continue into December.

That sort of suggests that 3rd season may be the better season this year, and it is possible 4th season could be tuff if it is the tail end of the rut and the deer have been pressured.

Decisions, decisions. So now based on all the feedback, I am torn between GMU 22 and GMU 70.

I don't think 22 will Be near as good as the last couple years. We had a real tuff winter, lots of winter kill. Everyone that was waiting for this year because the season is later is going to be mostly disappointed!! I don't know much about 70 but from the reports above I'd be going that direction! Good luck!

The 4th season this year will not be in the tail end of the rut. It will be right in the thick of it. If you get lucky with the weather, it could be really good.

Thanks for the help everyone. I applied for unit 70 4th season. Now we wait and see how many folks cash in their points this year and if I have a chance or not!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom