archery:101-108 vs 171-173

BigPig

Very Active Member
either would be pack in hunts into wilderness areas. Which has better numbers of bucks? Better quality? Pros/cons?

I hunted 10 last year and 17 this year. I'd take area 10 over 17 any day. I don't know that one necessarily has more bucks than the other. Both have pretty limited access from one side of their respective ranges, but 10 (I think) gets less pressure in the wilderness areas, even with more tags issued than in 17.

I also don't think a guy MUST pack into the wilderness areas to be successful in these units. I think success (in either area) is predicated more on the amount of time you can spend in the unit, not how deep you get in there!!

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

Hey Nate. I don't have any knowledge on 10, but we hunt 173. I think that Craig and I are gonna try to draw archery tags in 17 this year. We didn't draw last year, but have hunted the unit the four years prior. I'm sure that there is great hunting outside of the Arc Dome, but our experience has been in the wilderness and its edges. Let me know if I can help you out with any info.
P.S. You might be getting a call from Craig soon. He's itching to go to Africa in the near future. I thought that you might be able to steer him in the right direction.

Don P.

Raghorn,
What did you like better about 10? The country? The quality or quantity of deer? The crowds, or lack thereof? Easier logistics? You can PM me if you'd rather. I appreciate it.
Thanks!

BigPig.
I have never hunted 17 but if you would like some help in 10 I have backpacked in here for awile. One thing I think you should really look at is water. If your going to be backpacking this is a really big deal.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I have hunted both, I would definitely hunt the rubys area 10, I feel it is a much bigger area with more quality deer. There are some nice deer in the arch dome wilderness (area 173) but the aspens are so thick up there that it really makes it tough. Unit 101,102 and some of 103 are all excellent units. I would be shocked if you hunt the tops of these ranges and you don't see a big buck. If you can't find something up high just look for deer coming out of the alfalfa fields. PM if you want more

Jacob Menath
Menath Outdoor Insurance
www.Outdoor-Insurance.com

Just my $.02 here. I have hunted both units. I will be honest here and say there are more deer in unit 10. its the largest herd in the state. With that being said its also one of the most packed units in the state and thepressure it receives is astronomical. I have seen more 160+ deer in unit 17 in one trip than i have seen in area 10 my entire life. That isnt saying that 10 holds big deer, it does. as far as hunt quality I would take 17 over 10 in a heart beat. Concentrate on the peaks from kingston canyon south to arc dome. You find a lot of deer, a lot of good deer and not a lot of people. Have fun and put in for 173!!

Damn you guys aren't making this any easier! Sounds like asking if blondes or burnettes are better!

Just flip a coin. Then make it happen. I decided on 17 because it was close. I don't think that the genetics are great, but the deer numbers have been. Either way, I'm sure it will be a good time.

Don P

BigPig...sent you a PM. On top of that, I'll add more confusion: Don't overlook area 16 either. Two of my buddies had that tag this year (archery) and found some bruisers up there. I hear someone killed a monster up there this year too.

Anyway...good luck next year whatever you decide to do!

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

I have archery hunted both and here is my conclsion. Area 10 holds a few more deer but gets more pressure so most of the bucks get picked over. Area 17 is a tougher hunt with a larger wilderness area and lots of dense cover, mainly aspens and mahoganys which is all good for growing big bucks.

Hunted 17 this past season and this was the best buck I saw in 8 days of hunting.
Cliff.jpg

Saw this buck on the first day and let my buddy try for him because it would have been his biggest buck to date. He missed. Anyway I didn't see another buck of this caliber the rest of the hunt and came home empty handed. I could have shot a 4 point everyday, but was hoping for something atleast 160-170 and just didn't see one. Having said this, I would hunt it again because I feel I gained enough knowledge about the area that I think I could find a good one next time.

oakbrush.

I've never hunted 17 and have never hunted 10 early archery.

I have hunted 10 late archery, late rifle and early rifle. And I was impressed. The worst hunt for quality was the early rifle but we saw 25-50 bucks a day. I felt we were "Optically Challenged" on that hunt and it's the primary reason I spent lots of $$$ on optics since.

Where we hunted the country wasn't archery friendly but I think I'll try it some day when I have 0-1 points.

I did see tons of 160"+ bucks, up to 185" on the late rut archery hunt. So they are there.

Don't overlook the East Humbolts when lookin at 10.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom