Archery Accidents?

southslope82

I have been talking with some friends of mine and they were telling me about some of the accidents that they have had while they were out shooting their bows or hunting, One friend had a string break on him while he was trying to draw his bow back and the string whipped him in the cheeck, the other one was pulling an arrow from his quiver and accidently slid the broad head acrossed his string and actually cut it enough that it broke on him he also got whipped in the leg. Although painful I thought it was hilarious hearing their stories, So lets hear it what kinda accidents have you had?

There are no accidents in archery. Only hunting related mishapps :)

Seriously though target archery is the safest sport out there. If I'm not mistaken even bowling is more dangerous than archery by the statistics :)

I've never been hurt shooting or hunting ever. There is a hole in the wall and ceiling of my office due to some less than appropriate checking of draw length a number of years ago. Hehehehehehehe!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Back about ten years ago in the Casper star tribune there was a column about how hunting in general was safer than ping pong. in the nation there are more doctors and er visits due to injury acquired playing ping pong than hunting.

moseley middleton

a few years ago during the season i put my muzzy broadheads on my dresser. i got out of the shower and little did i know one of them fell off and was on the ground. when i stepped on it it sunk in and i didnt feel any pain. i didnt know what it was til i lifted my foot and looked at it. i pulled it out and blood started gushing like a shot deer. i hobbled down the stairs and to the doctor. 13 stitches later i returned to my house to find a great blood trail from the driveway to where i drew my very first blood with a bow. too bad it was my own!!

i was praticing in my backyard one day and had my finger on the release while drawing my bow and of course... i released mid draw and punched my self square in the eye, hurt like hell but i had to laugh at my dumb a$$.

Cut my finger while putting on my broadheads. The worst part was that I could see my guard to help and cover the blades from where I was sitting, but never reached over to get it.

Like most accidents, just being to lazy or dumb.

I did see a string break on my dad, whipped him in the wrist pretty good.

A couple of buddies and myself were riding around on the mountain in an old CJ5jeep when were highschool seniors.This was quite a few years ago when you could have an arrow out of the quiver and be leagel while driving.Well buddy in the back seat reached up for something in the front and clipped the string on my recurve and the bow went nuts when the string got cut.I got whopped on the side of the head and damn near wrecked the jeep.Kind of funny now when I think back about it.Rod.

I was shooting in my back yard one night, had lights shining on the target and on my sights so I was still able to practice in the dark. I shoot from under our front porch on the side of the house out in to the back yard....anyways I was mid draw and had the bow pointing straight up and accidentally triggered the release as I was pulling back....it was funny ##### actually.
The arrow went a few inches straight in to the wall on the side of my house....patched that bad boy up real quick before my wife noticed.

My brother and a couple of his friends were out bow fishing for gar when one of the boys drew back without pushing his reel release. The arrow flew forward not able to break the 100# test line than headed back in the reverse direction catching the kid through the eye and brain. I was going to take up the sport till that happened.

Several years back a friend that I was hunting with was assembling arrows and broadheads on the edge of a trailer. My other buddy and I were looking at a map near where he was doing this, and I decided to sit down while looking at the map. You guessed it, I sat down right on one of his broadheads laying flat on the trailer. I didn't notice anything until a few seconds later when I stood up and felt blood running down the back of my leg.

Luckily it was in the fatty part of my asscheek and not anywhere near my cornhole. The most embarassing part of the incident was dropping trou and bending over the side of the trailer while my buddy superglued my ass cheek back together. I wonder what somebody passing by would have thought if they had seen that.

Funniest bow accident/mishap story I know happened more than 25 years ago. Me and my best buddy were archery deer hunting in Arizona. Another buddy showed up at camp with a "virgin" bow hunter. This new guy had never been hunting, but had bought all the new equipment, read all the books and was extremely excited to get his first deer.

The new guy was pretty disappointed after not getting on much his first couple of days of hunting. We had set a tree stand on a water tank that appeared to be getting pretty good traffic. We all agreed it would be a nice gesture to let the new guy hunt the tank.

We explained to the new guy that when a buck came in he should wait until the buck started drinking to pull his bow back. We told him that would decrease the chance of the buck detecting him, because the deer would have its head down and would be making noise when he slerped the water.

Well we all back got back at camp that night, except for the new guy. We waited about an hour, and then decided the new guy must have got himself a deer. So we loaded up the flashlights and lanterns and headed to the water tank, expecting to find him wandering around in the dark looking for his buck.

When we arrived, we saw the new guy on the ground, blood on his face and unable to sit up straight. He expalined that sure enough, a "big buck" had come into water just before dark. He waited, just like we told him to do, drawing his bow back as the buck began to drink. As he reached full draw, and thinking how neat it was going to be shooting his first buck, he then let go of the bow. Not the string, but the bow. He let go with his left hand (of course he was right handed). The bow immediatley came back at him, knocking him off and out of the tree stand. In the fall he broke his nose, his arm, and suffered a mild concussion. Yes he also sufferred serious injury to his pride as well.

Well I never saw that new hunter out in the field again. Over the years, my buddies and I have oftened wondered what went through that "big buck's" mind, as he saw that new hunter falling to the ground out of that tree that night.

Holy cow calelkhnter,I thought I had some screwed up partners butyou win!LMAO.I can see that maybe a different sport would be better!I needed that laugh.(ROD)

I Think that the last story topped them all man that was hilarious hurt or not that it just funny in my opinion ahhahahahaha that is a really good story I love that kinda stuff when it doesn't happen to me!!!

I have a friend who shot a defective carbon arrow. That shattered into two pieces The front end landed near the target and the back half went into his hand near the rist and back out the rest of his entire hand and fingers in hundreds of splinters. I honestly dont think they could have gotten all the splinteres out regardless of what the doc says. It was nasty! Ill try to get the pictures.

If you look in the red lettering just abouve where you type in your message, it says "Click here to upload your photo" Click on that and it will bring up a screen that says "browse" click on that and find your picture on your computer and select it, then click upload file, it will give you a script, copy and paste that to your post. If this is to confuseing I belive there is a link at the top of the page (how to post pictures) that explains it better.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Awwwweeeeeeee awwwweeee awwwwweeee Man that is a very painful looking picture. Those small little splinters must have caused infection and been sore for a really long time yeah there is no way to get absolutley every small little peice out of something like that either thats awful

HOLY MUTHA F#@$*& THAT LOOKS PAINFUL.... WOW.... THAT SUCKS SOMETHIN FEIRCE....

That really makes you reconsider useing carbon arrows....

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

JEEZUS....dang I wish I wouldn't have come here to see that.....OUCH...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-08 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]Archery and accidents yep you can't have one without the other. #1 A friend of mine bought a new release and was shooting in his back yard. Well he's drawing back and click off goes the arrow over the fence right in the side of the neighbors house. Upon closer examination he said the fletching was all that was showing and about 1 minute later the neighbor comes out smoking mad. Apparently he was in bed and the arrow came thru his wall and was sticking out above his headboard and broke up the lovemaking between him and his wife! Luckily he lived to tell the story!

#2 Another bud was checking his cam timing on his bow so he pulled his bow back and stuck his head in between his string and his riser (NOT RECOMMENDED). Well things being what they were he couldn't hold it and he slipped thru the valley and WACK the cams snapped forward and his head was caught between the string and the riser! he had bruises on both sides of his head far a couple of weeks! Said it hurt like hell and almost knocked him out! We laughed so hard we were crying when he told us at the range! here's your sign!

#3 Just to show that I'm not the brightest in the bunch either. I had a brand new garage door installed and have shot in the garage for years. Well on this fine day I decided to try a new release in my garage.... Big mistake! I drew back and with all the skill I could muster proceeded to shoot right thru my new garage door into the windshield of my truck breaking the windshield when the release went off before I was ready. Now of course things like this always come with a price and seeing as how I had berated the hell out of my wife for putting the garage door down on the hood of the car while backing out ( reason for new garage door) it's not one I'll easily forget. Naturally she did her level best to pointout the fact that while her mishap was a pure accident mine was absolutey the biggest screwup in our nations history because I wasn't distracted or anything. Moral of story ONLY shoot outside with any new release in safe direction and ALWAYS just replace garage door without any comment to wife if your prone to such stupidity indoors. Take my word on this it's just easier and the crow doesn't taste nearly as bad and you won't hear about it until your death!

>That really makes you reconsider useing
>carbon arrows....

No need to stop using them, just make sure to check your shafts after EVERY SINGLE shot. ESPECIALLY if you're shooting multiple arrows at one target. An arrow to arrow impact can easily cause a tough to see crack in a carbon shaft. Look at EACH shaft. Feel it for rough spots. Flex it and make sure there are no cracking sounds. A little time doing this can prevent most injuries like this! :)

Oh my hell, some of them are funny. I will never draw a bow and put my head in! I have a couple to share.
1) It was at an indoor archery shoot. My dad was shooting and had a peep sight on. The plastic (not the tubing) that was attached to the bow came off and smacked him above his eye. Split him open, blood running everywhere. He taped his cut, finished his round (perfect score) and then went and got stiches.
2) My uncle was trying to learn to shoot a release. Started to draw and the arrow falls off the rest. He pulls the bow down and tried to grab the arrow and ends up sticking it about 1/4 inch in his belly.
3) Had anther guy who thought he was the best at everything come to our range. The range was in an old gas station garage. First shot goes right through the window and smacks the gas station next door. He picks his stuff up and leaves, while we tried to pick ourselves up off the floor from laughing.

A schoolboy archer cheated death after he was shot through the eye by a friend.

The arrow went through 11-year-old Liu Cheong's eye socket, completely through his head and was only stopped by the back of his skull.
He only survived because the arrow had miraculously missed his brain.

Stricken: Liu Cheong can be seen lying on a hospital bed after the arrow went straight through his eye socket
4946ec5713c96344.jpg

Surgeons spent four hours removing the 16in arrow which had sunk more than four inches into the boy's head. They had to break off part of it just to get him in the CT scanner.
The teammate who shot him - a 13-year-old girl called Yan Shin - is being treated for shock.
Teachers at Jiutai City school in China said they believed the youngsters were practicing on their own when the accident happened.
4946ecba1674738c.jpg

Escape: The 16inch arrow had sunk more than four inches into Liu's head
'If the arrow had been shot with just a bit more force, it would have come out the back of his head,' doctors at Jida Hospital in Changchun, eastern China said.
After brain scans and x-rays, doctors began to cut away parts of his skull to remove the arrow without damaging optic nerves or brain tissue.

His parents have been warned he still faces a risk of infection and may need further operations.

'It is a miracle he survived the accident,' said one medic.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

well seein as how everyone has got a good story here i will share mine.

i was at a local pro shop checking out a new bow (pse x force) I proceeded to pull the bow back once i got it to full draw i looked thru the peep and then wham the string broke! It sounded like a damn rifle going off in the store! I watched as the owner and his hired hand and another customer all hit the deck not realizing i had been hit by the string i started feeling blodd run down my chest i handed the bow back to the owner who was asking me if i was alright i just looked at him and said i am sorry about the bow i didnt dry fire it i promise! well after checking out my new wound i decided i had better get it taken care of. To this day i will not pull back a bow in a store just for fear of it happening again.

bbh

My boss was telling me about the good old days when they used to shoot recurves and cedar arrows. They were out practicing and for some reason one of the arrows took a turn and went through the grill and radiator on his brand new chev.

Watched a guy at sportsmans warehouse in st. george shoot the screen on the chronograph instead of between the bars. it was brand new hadn't even had an arrow make it through.

watched a few people either break the release loop or hit the trigger on the release and misc. fat lips and black eyes while the rest of us can breathe from laughing so hard.

God I love this sport....

I've read a few of these where they pull the trigger release before getting to full draw. When I pull my bow back, my fingers are behind the trigger. I don't put my finger on the trigger until I've settled on the target. I've always been worried about a pre-mature release. Am I the only one that does this?

When I got my first bow (my wife bought it for me), I took it in the garage and dry fired it!! I had no idea what I was doing....obviously. The garage door was open and when I let my release go, I heard something fly across the street and hit the neighbors car. When I examined my bow, the peep was missing. Too funny.

Steve

Well I have one story of my own and a couple from friends. I was out at Usery Pass shooting the last time before I was going Javelina hunting in a couple days and had just went to full draw and settled in to shoot and my string breaks. Sounded like a bomb went off under the covered area. Worst thing about it was that one of my limbs comes off and hit the cover and came back and left a nice welt on my arm.

I used to work with a couple engineers that liked to archery elk hunt. One of the guys had one of those Onieda bows where the limbs bent back when you drew the bow back. And they sprung back when released. Anyway, he has a bull come by and he is down behind a big log and goes to full draw. When the bull is in range he releases his arrow and the bottom limb springs back and hits the log and bounces off hitting him in the face knocking him out cold.

LOL, AZbowhntr, did he get the elk, I assume it messed up the shot, but you never know. LOL

I had my sting loop break on me 3/4 of the way into my draw this year while in elk camp, punched myself right in the face, it dazed me pretty good, took a second for me to figure out what happend, LOL all my hunting buddys were laughing there asses off.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

>I've read a few of these
>where they pull the trigger
>release before getting to full
>draw. When I pull my
>bow back, my fingers are
>behind the trigger. I don't
>put my finger on the
>trigger until I've settled on
>the target. I've always been
>worried about a pre-mature release.
>Am I the only one
>that does this?
>
>When I got my first bow
>(my wife bought it for
>me), I took it in
>the garage and dry fired
>it!! I had no idea
>what I was doing....obviously. The
>garage door was open and
>when I let my release
>go, I heard something fly
>across the street and hit
>the neighbors car. When I
>examined my bow, the peep
>was missing. Too funny.
>
>Steve

Ok, this reminds me of another one my uncle did. He always put his finger behind his trigger on his release. He used a different release one time and as he was about 3/4 the way back realized that he did not do it this time. So he goes to put his finger behind the trigger and hits the trigger instead. The arrow goes flying. He realizes that it is heading right for his daughters goat. He hollers at the goat and it raises its head just as the arrow hits the dirt under its head. His daughter runs out of the house and checks on the goat and proceeds to slap the sh*t out of her dad.
Good times!

Ok, here's my dumb story. I was at my dad's house practicing when I had premature release, still not sure how but anyway the arrow went through about 4 apple trees. I found where the arrow hit and there was the last 1/3 of my arrow. after an extensive search for the rest of the arrow I couldn't find it. I was a little bummed over the loss of a new broadhead. Well about 10 minutes later, my dad's neighbor, who lives through the pasture down the street comes pulling up with the rest of my arrow he found in his driveway. It wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't the local Sheriff! No more practicing at dad's house!

Back when I was about 16 I was getting ready for a Javalina hunt. I had all my arrows with broadheads on sitting on my bed. I went to string my recurve up and when I put the bow in between my legs to string it, I lost my balance. I put my hand out to stop myself from falling and when I did I landed palm first on a brand new broadhead. 12 stitches on the outside and six inside with a nicked tendon in my hand. Had a cast on for 6 weeks and didn't make the pig hunt.

Man I am going to get fired from laughing so hard at some of these! That there is funny. Well I couldnt resist from adding this one because I think it is also pretty funny.
My hunting buddy had just bought a brand new bow and had his wife give it to him for Christmas. Well as you do when you get a new toy and the relatives come over for the hollidays you usually get it out and show them your loot. Well the in-laws came over with their kids in tow and as my buddy was demonstrating how to pull the bow back to the family one of the kids had a plastic lincoln log in his hand and thought that the best place in the world to stick it would be the moving cam on the bow that was conviniantly hovering eye-level to him. As my buddy was pulling the bow back the kid jammed the log into the hole on the cam and my buddy was at the point in the draw that there was no stopping the drawback when he realized what was happening. POP! the log actually displaced the cam so bad that it send the string off the cam and a peice of the cam flying through room. After the comotion the only person who received any injury was my buddy when his sister in law was slapping his back as he strangled his nephew for destroying his brand new never shot bow!
That made me laugh.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom