Archery Burros-Did anyone connect?

nightstalker

I had a tough coues hunt in the burros this past late archery hunt. I jack knifed my camper trailer the 1st morning and strained my back digging out. Then while limping around the hills I fell on my bow and arrows. To top it off I didn't find squat during the 4 days i was there. I had planned on staying a week but the lack of sign led me to believe the deer had moved. I ran into only 1 hunter and he was fruststrated also with the lack of deer. I usually pride my self in glassing up game but I saw more barbary sheep in unit 30 than i did deer(muleys/coues) in the burros. I was expecting a target rich environment but I guess thats hunting:) During scouting in December I saw little sign and action as well. Maybe the burros are overrated? or possibly a bad year. Tough hunt and I learned a lot. I was just wondering if anybody got lucky on this hunt?

I have personally have only heard of one coues buck being taken on the archery hunt. A friend of mine was in coues everyday he was out. Overall, talking to both muzzleloader and rifle hunter it was a tough year. For those that I know killed during other hunts the antler growth was poor as well.....which is odd seeing as how we had above average moisture through last winter and spring. I personally think the Burros are overated and everyone needs to quit putting in for those hunts. ;-)
Jeff

I don't know how the late archery hunt was but know 3 guys who shot nice(coues) bucks, 2 on the muzzleloader hunt and 1(muley) on the rifle hunt.My friend Storm has killed 2 super bucks there in 3 years. It's a real tough hunt but coues are for the crazy hearted anyhow, and the Burros are not at all over rated.Just sounds like it was a tough hunt.

I glassed up javalina, coyotes, domestic cows, eagles but no coues. I did happen to glass up a nice muley buck about 150-160 class chasin does. That was the highlight of the cold lonely trip:) The terrain looked very promising but there was just little sign. I'm thinkin the treestanders would do better than us spot n stalkers. I tagged out in az on a meat buck in hopes that I could trophy hunt the burros but instead went from seeing deer all day in az to nada in nm. Better than workin tho.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom