archery ELK-Unit 61 vs. 201?

ruttinelk393

archery ELK-Unit 61 vs. 201?

Ok, I am a former resident with 16 points. We all know the corner units that are supposedly the best in the state. I am looking for a 360 plus bull and understand they are not around every tree-especially in Colorado where they are more know for quantity rather than quality. My question is whether these up and coming units like 61 or maybe even 76 have the opporunity for higher end bulls? I may be in a long term waiting game for 201 and 2 and heard 10 isnt as it used to be. Anyone who lives around or has hunted these units lately with any input would be great. I am not looking for any spots or secrets, just general opinons as this will likey be my last opportunity to draw a quality, higher end unit in Colorado until they change their "max point requirement" system.

RE: archery ELK-Unit 61 vs. 201?

It is very frustrating sitting on as many points as you have. A 360 bull is a great bull and may be about as good as gets in Colorado with few taken that are much bigger. I would not say that 61 and 76 are going to get much better than they are right now. You may have a couple years that are better than some because of rainfall, drought, winterkill etc. Those units are managed for a quality hunt with good opprotunity at a mature bull not trophy quality. There are trophy quality elk in those units but there are not many. If you are wanting a 360+ bull there are only a few units in the state that i think can produce that size of bull year to year. Units 40,2,201,10
I wouldn't settle. Hang in there and i think you will be happy with the results. Also unit 40 has some great hunting and great bulls but public land is limited with most of the best bulls killed on private land. You better move back for a bit until you get your elk tag out of the way!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom