Archery Hunting?????

bucks

I was down on the Henry Mountains last weekend and what I seen and herd was a total discouragement.
I have been going down on this mountain range for the past 9 years looking at these Magnificent mule deer that call the Henry mountains there home.
I herd ,and read ,about two good bucks that were taken within the first week of the 2023 Archery season.both were good looking deer that will score very high.cCongratulations to these hunters.
I ran into three different groups of archery hunters during my two day trip,I had conversations with two of these hunters, one group of hunters told me of a buck they had hit and could not recover the day before,They showed me a photo of the buck and we figured it would score 200- 205".On there defense they said they hunted hard to find the hit deer with no luck.
One of the other hunters I talked to, said he had been hunting all week,He told me he had hit( two different deer)One that was in his words a really big deer,And he could not find either one of these deer!!. I was at his camp at 2;00 in the afternoon on one of the days he had wounded on of these deer.
Both groups of hunters were out pursuing more deer and had intentions of hunting the entire archery season!!.I can only hope they use better shot tactics.
Now im not judging either one of these groups of hunters,And I do realize that these things do happen on any kind of hunting adventure.
The Utah Archery deer hunt opens on August 19-September 15- 4 Weeks!!!
Does the hunting season need to be a month long for archery hunts?Cant they shorten the season, Maybe hunters would be more patient before letting the shot of a lifetime fly. My opinion.

Sort of sad..I think alot of people would be really surprised if we knew how many animals are wounded and not found in all the hunts..IMO if you hit a critter track till you find it and tag it..if you don't find it, punch your tag and go home..some people think we have a never ending supply of deer..here's a flash..WE DON'T and I agree on the length of seasons they should be archery 7 days muzzy 5 and rifle 3 cause that's about all our current deer herds can handle on many of our units

My opinion, from years of observation, is that archery hunters wound WAY more deer per capita than firearm hunters. I know many will take extreme offense at this but this is what my 35ish years of experience leads me to believe. That being said, I'm not against archery hunting but I think we need to manage archery tags accordingly. If you have 100 archery tags for an area. The hunters will probably bag 20 or so deer and wound another 15. The same amount of rifle hunters will kill 50 deer and wound a few. I think archery is still 'easier' on the herds because of lower overall success including lost animals. Biology doesn't care whether a deer goes home with someone or dies in the woods. Dead is dead.-----SS

I’ve cut and quartered more animals with old bullet wounds than I have arrow wounds… given the fact that there’s more rifle hunters than archery hunters, statistically speaking rifle hunters will wound more animals. Archers wound a lot, I’m not arguing that. But I have a hard time believing that the majority weapon type isn’t wounding at least at the same rate as a weapon type with half the total annual permits.

Rifle hunters wound more overall for sure just because of sheer numbers. I don't believe they wound at even close to the same rate as archery hunters. That's why I still think that archery hunting is a 'good deal' for management. In one of my favorite units, there are 20 archery tags and 40 rifle tags. Which group do you think wounds more deer.? Which group impacts the herd the most? My opinion, backed by harvest stats, is that the rifle hunters have far more impact on the herd.-----SS

an animal shot and wounded in a non-vital area has a much better chance of healing and recovering from a broadhead wound than it does from a bullet. Broadheads for the most part make a clean surgical cut whereas a high speed bullet creates more trauma from the shockwave energy than just the bullet hole itself.

So you spoke to a hunter who had wounded a deer the day before and he was talking to you while not out looking for it? Another hunter was in camp the day that he had wounded a deer? This is the most unethical and slobbiest sin of all slob hunters. What pieces of chit. If I couldn't convince them to get off their butts and keep looking (I would even offer to help look, I've done several times in the past) I don't care who they are or if they were 7'2" and 400 pounds I would have chewed them a new hole and reported them and wherever it went from there so be it. There should be some kind of law covering this crime, wanton waste or something else, if not there needs to be one.

I believe you should spend a minimum two days of hard looking unless you have proof of evidence that it was a slight graze and even then you should do a hard follow up.

In Africa if you draw one drop of blood you are paying a trophy fee on that animal. Many outfitters here and Alaska have a rule that if you draw blood then you are done and that is how it should be. That may not always be enforceable but it can be at times and that is a start. There are plenty of ethical hunters that play it straight, govern themselves and would throw in the towel if they wound an animal if the law says the hunt is over. Those people who won't honor that rule are the same ones who are cheating unethical crooks in all aspects of their lives.

I won't go into details but I had a really bad experience about twenty years ago in which I didn't make a recovery. I was sick over it for a long time and I remember when I came home it was the first and only time that I really considered not hunting anymore.

I agree with you on the Keep looking for the wonded deer,I had my wife and two granddaughters with me and did not want to get into a situation with the hunters, I believe that any ethical hunter would cut there tag after wounding two trophy deer. as of the day I met this hunter hunter that wounded two deer he still had 16 days of hunting to go.
This is really a bad deal,I feel really bad for the wildlife that suffer from these bad situations.We as hunters know these things will happen,But if I was the man with the tag, and bow in my hand I would cut my tag after two instances.

The Limited Entry/Trophy hunting model has fostered and nurtured this mindset in so many hunters. Not all of us, but many. 20 year wait for a shot at a 200" buck, then you hit the shoulder blade and can't find him.? Punching that tag is unlikely for most. They'll be after another wall-hanger asap. I feel fortunate I've never wounded and lost an animal... cuz when I miss, I miss clean :ROFLMAO:

There should be some kind of law covering this crime, wanton waste or something else, if not there needs to be one.

I believe you should spend a minimum two days of hard looking unless you have proof of evidence that it was a slight graze and even then you should do a hard follow up.
I agree with you, so don’t confuse what I’m going to say with me disagreeing with what you said.

There’s 2 issues with your statement/opinion.

The first being, there is a law covering wasting an animal and not looking for one that is hit. However, it’s extremely vague in its definition of the attempt to recover a wounded animal. All it says is that a “reasonable effort” must be made to recover said animal. That reasonable effort definition can and will vary drastically depending on who the trigger puller is. Some guys think a 20 minute walk about is all they need to do before they go back to hunting. Some guys think 5 days of searching is a reasonable effort. It’s pretty hard to convict someone when the definition is left up to interpretation by each hunter. Utah words things horribly when it comes to hunting laws. This is one of them. I can give many others. There’s so much more grey area than very clear black and white in these scenarios.

The 2nd issue is, this scenario we are talking about, didn’t play out on the manti or Wasatch on a general season tag. It’s the Henry’s. These tag holders waited up to half of their entire life for a permit. They won’t have another one in their lifetime again. If they spend 2 days looking for a deer, that’s 2 entire hunt days they lose on a MAYBE ONCE IN A LIFETIME tag. And with it being an archery hunt, 2 days could be the difference between cutting a tag and going home with tag soup. Everyone with a tag in their pocket feels ENTITLED to killing a deer. And most expect a 200” buck to put their tag on. Utards are very greedy, Selfish, Entitled, As it is. Throw in a big deer to brag with on the ‘gram while flexin their new HUSH flatty, and all common sense and ethics goes out the window.

Every archery hunter knows if an animal with a confirmed hit goes over 200 yards, it’s not looking good. at all. Lots of guys assume it’s over and the animal is gone/unrecoverable when it hits that mark, so they find a new one. It takes a lot of personal restraint for someone to keep looking and wasting time on these high stakes tags.

But I do disagree with your outfitter comment. There’s a lot in utah that will have you shoot another one if a client wounds an animal and can’t find it. Taylor Albrecht has a great example of that on YouTube. He tells a client on video to shoot a bull bison, head on with a bow. The dude hits him in the nose. Surely a fatal hit at some point. That animal is lost. The client still kills an animal towards the end of the hunt. There’s lots of examples out there of this, not just this outfitter. But others. CWMU operators and guides seem to be a little more strict when it comes to their land and animals they consider “theirs”. But again, I can give many examples where they looked the other way as well when a paying client wounded something.

I agree with you, so don’t confuse what I’m going to say with me disagreeing with what you said.

There’s 2 issues with your statement/opinion.

The first being, there is a law covering wasting an animal and not looking for one that is hit. However, it’s extremely vague in its definition of the attempt to recover a wounded animal. All it says is that a “reasonable effort” must be made to recover said animal. That reasonable effort definition can and will vary drastically depending on who the trigger puller is. Some guys think a 20 minute walk about is all they need to do before they go back to hunting. Some guys think 5 days of searching is a reasonable effort. It’s pretty hard to convict someone when the definition is left up to interpretation by each hunter. Utah words things horribly when it comes to hunting laws. This is one of them. I can give many others. There’s so much more grey area than very clear black and white in these scenarios.

The 2nd issue is, this scenario we are talking about, didn’t play out on the manti or Wasatch on a general season tag. It’s the Henry’s. These tag holders waited up to half of their entire life for a permit. They won’t have another one in their lifetime again. If they spend 2 days looking for a deer, that’s 2 entire hunt days they lose on a MAYBE ONCE IN A LIFETIME tag. And with it being an archery hunt, 2 days could be the difference between cutting a tag and going home with tag soup. Everyone with a tag in their pocket feels ENTITLED to killing a deer. And most expect a 200” buck to put their tag on. Utards are very greedy, Selfish, Entitled, As it is. Throw in a big deer to brag with on the ‘gram while flexin their new HUSH flatty, and all common sense and ethics goes out the window.

Every archery hunter knows if an animal with a confirmed hit goes over 200 yards, it’s not looking good. at all. Lots of guys assume it’s over and the animal is gone/unrecoverable when it hits that mark, so they find a new one. It takes a lot of personal restraint for someone to keep looking and wasting time on these high stakes tags.

But I do disagree with your outfitter comment. There’s a lot in utah that will have you shoot another one if a client wounds an animal and can’t find it. Taylor Albrecht has a great example of that on YouTube. He tells a client on video to shoot a bull bison, head on with a bow. The dude hits him in the nose. Surely a fatal hit at some point. That animal is lost. The client still kills an animal towards the end of the hunt. There’s lots of examples out there of this, not just this outfitter. But others. CWMU operators and guides seem to be a little more strict when it comes to their land and animals they consider “theirs”. But again, I can give many examples where they looked the other way as well when a paying client wounded something.
Yes not all guides/outfitters hold to the standard that if blood is drawn they are done. I think the biggest reason for those who don’t do it is financial. They want happy clients and big tips. There are those however who do. Honestly there probably aren’t many in Utah that hold to this standard but I know several Alaskan Master Guides who make it a strict policy.

The comment about the Henries hunt and the entitlement mentality of killing a big buck in my opinion is proof that hunting has gotten “sideways” and is an unintended consequence of trophy hunt management.

I agree with what you have said about these things and the grey area within the rules are quite common and frustrating, even game wardens don’t always interpret them the same.

I do hate to see the direction hunting has gone. It seems that those who do it for the love of the hunt are in the minority.

I agree that with the wanna be trophy hunters that the mindset has gone sideways. And while not exclusively a Utah thing, pretending we haven't lost sight of what hunting is, and replaced it with a big schlong contest where deer(elk too) as reduced to a score, and an IG pic.

But. Wounding is a thing. Probably the most wounded animal in Utah are swans or geese, and I don't believe archery is even in the top 5.

Yes. Archery should be a month. Sucking more dudes into low odds hunting is the best way to limit success and not continuing to cut tags numbers.

Dudes who think archery dudes just shoot up deer, have never picked up a bow. Few guys get stalks, let alone shots.

Every McGee with a trigger finger can lob lead across canyons, and few, walk over to check every shot.

But, we need to be honest. Winding happens even in the best of intentions.

I’ve cut and quartered more animals with old bullet wounds than I have arrow wounds… given the fact that there’s more rifle hunters than archery hunters, statistically speaking rifle hunters will wound more animals. Archers wound a lot, I’m not arguing that. But I have a hard time believing that the majority weapon type isn’t wounding at least at the same rate as a weapon type with half the total annual permits.
This has always been my thought too, glad someone agrees

I agree that with the wanna be trophy hunters that the mindset has gone sideways. And while not exclusively a Utah thing, pretending we haven't lost sight of what hunting is, and replaced it with a big schlong contest where deer(elk too) as reduced to a score, and an IG pic.

But. Wounding is a thing. Probably the most wounded animal in Utah are swans or geese, and I don't believe archery is even in the top 5.

Yes. Archery should be a month. Sucking more dudes into low odds hunting is the best way to limit success and not continuing to cut tags numbers.

Dudes who think archery dudes just shoot up deer, have never picked up a bow. Few guys get stalks, let alone shots.

Every McGee with a trigger finger can lob lead across canyons, and few, walk over to check every shot.

But, we need to be honest. Winding happens even in the best of intentions.
Duck count for wounded/lost is probably more than geese and swans put together on an annual basis.

It’s really not that hard to get shot opportunities at wildlife with a bow if you try. Pretty much every able bodied person could get opportunities if they tried hard enough. It’s not easy, which is why success is low. But if you wanted it bad enough, anyone can pick up a bow and go stalk animals.

I wish they’d cut the archery season down to 2-3 weeks. We don’t need a month…

I also wish they’d go to a traditional bow hunt style and offer tags OTC instead of a draw for general archery.

Can you imagine the opportunity we’d have if they did a 14 day traditional bow only archery hunt, 5 day open sight muzzleloader hunt and a 3 day straight wall open sight lever gun rifle hunt?

I had a similar experience on the Henry's last fall. I talked to a hunter who had already hit and lost two bucks. He was surely after a new buck. He was sure happy to tell me that one of the ones he hit and lost was way over 30" though. Funny part is they were hunting at least 3 miles from where they hit and lost that buck. I did run into another hunter though that had hit and lost a 200" buck. He was sick and vowed to stay in that area looking, while still hunting. I dont know what or if he ended up getting a buck, but I do know the buck he wounded survived til the Muzzy hunt where a muzzy hunter finished off the buck. The buck was very sick and wasnt going to survive too much longer.

So you draw one of the best tags in the country, most likely took half your life or better.

And you get the "privilege" of getting to hunt an area crawling with guides, paid spotters (allegedly ?), wanna be paid spotters, and just a bunch of dudes wandering around.

Doesn't sound worth it to me

Can you imagine the opportunity we’d have if they did a 14 day traditional bow only archery hunt, 5 day open sight muzzleloader hunt and a 3 day straight wall open sight lever gun rifle hunt?
[/QUOTE]

Wait.... you mean removing some technology would increase opportunity?

Did you bump your head or something over the last couple weeks?

"Welcome to the party", better late than never!

[/QUOTE]
The difference between your thinking and mine, is I’m in favor of it for the wildlife’s better interest. You’re more worried about managing feelings. I don’t give a fug about how hunters ‘feel’. I care about what’s best for the animals. I’m also in favor of restrictions across the board to create more opportunities for hunters. You care about limiting harvests for certain weapon types, just to obliterate any progress made through those processes, by largely unregulated ALW hunts after you’ve restricted the hell out of the hunt prior to the rifle hunt.

If we could get back OTC opportunities for deer by ALL weapon type restrictions, I’m a huge advocate. The chit you’re trying to justify for just a certain weapon type and the reasons behind it, im strongly opposed to.

The difference between your thinking and mine, is I’m in favor of it for the wildlife’s better interest. You’re more worried about managing feelings. I don’t give a fug about how hunters ‘feel’. I care about what’s best for the animals. I’m also in favor of restrictions across the board to create more opportunities for hunters. You care about limiting harvests for certain weapon types, just to obliterate any progress made through those processes, by largely unregulated ALW hunts after you’ve restricted the hell out of the hunt prior to the rifle hunt.

If we could get back OTC opportunities for deer by ALL weapon type restrictions, I’m a huge advocate. The chit you’re trying to justify for just a certain weapon type and the reasons behind it, im strongly opposed to.
[/QUOTE]

All or nothing doesn't work because all gets too big.

We can start with the easiest, since it's the newest.

So you draw one of the best tags in the country, most likely took half your life or better.

And you get the "privilege" of getting to hunt an area crawling with guides, paid spotters (allegedly ?), wanna be paid spotters, and just a bunch of dudes wandering around.

Doesn't sound worth it to me
And you get to keep hunting if you wound a buck, because you know, it's OIL. What a crock. mtmuley

[/QUOTE]

About as much opportunity if it weren't managed for "trophy" quality...

Can you imagine the opportunity we’d have if they did a 14 day traditional bow only archery hunt,

A 14 day traditional bow only archery hunt for elk !!!!!!!!

That would be the hunt of a lifetime to me!! Especially on San Juan from September 13th through the 27th

Sign me up!!

Average wound rate on a typical deer and elk archery hunt = 25% to 40%

Average wound rate on a typical deer and elk rifle hunt = 10% to 20%
Where did you get them numbers.
I do not believe up to 40% of archery hunters wound a deer.

I archery hunted for over 30 years and I wounded one buck and that was my first year hunting at age 15. I have never wounded a elk and I archery hunted them for over 20 years.
For more than 20 years I have hunted with a group of 5 guys and I can only remember one guy wounding a deer and not recovering it and elk it has been 4 or 5.
If a archery hunter shoots at a deer and can not find his arrow more times than not he will assume he hit the deer, even if he can't find blood.
I know one thing archery hunters are as bad as fishermen, the big one always gets away.

I archery hunted for over 30 years and I wounded one buck and that was my first year hunting at age 15. I have never wounded a elk and I archery hunted them for over 20 years.
For more than 20 years I have hunted with a group of 5 guys and I can only remember one guy wounding a deer and not recovering it and elk it has been 4 or 5.
If a archery hunter shoots at a deer and can not find his arrow more times than not he will assume he hit the deer, even if he can't find blood.
I know one thing archery hunters are as bad as fishermen, the big one always gets away.

Not always...

20190413_121548.jpg

20191003_095216.jpg

I am putting those numbers out based upon my experience and 40 plus years of hunting with bow and rifle.

Your crowd must be a hell of a lot more ethical and better shots than mine.

Personally, I believe the wounding and non-recovery rate with archery equipment is much higher than we, as a hunting community want to admit.

I am putting those numbers out based upon my experience and 40 plus years of hunting with bow and rifle.

Your crowd must be a hell of a lot more ethical and better shots than mine.

Personally, I believe the wounding and non-recovery rate with archery equipment is much higher than we, as a hunting community want to admit.
25-40%?
If that’s true your crowd needs to stop hunting with a bow!

10-20%?
If that’s true your crowd needs to stop hunting with a rifle!

That is ridiculous!

I would be surprised if 40% ever left their sideXside now days.
I wouldn't say we was more ethical you do not know the crowd I hung around with when I was younger, and better shots not a chance.
I am just saying if I don't see blood from a archery hunter, I chalk it up as a miss, too many times looking for blood and then fond the arrow.

I am a citizen of Realville!!! If you are trying to tell me that less than one out of four archery hit elk or deer On Average in a general hunt, don’t walk off with an arrow stuck in them or a broad head hole in them, unrecovered, you are on drugs.

The idea of decreasing technology and increasing opportunity intrigues me. Like removing range finders on rifles and taking off muzzle loader scopes.

I would also be open to the idea of shorter seasons. Anecdotally; when Utah had shorter rifle seasons, we seamed to grow many more mature animals.

Why are you
I was down on the Henry Mountains last weekend and what I seen and herd was a total discouragement.
I have been going down on this mountain range for the past 9 years looking at these Magnificent mule deer that call the Henry mountains there home.
I herd ,and read ,about two good bucks that were taken within the first week of the 2023 Archery season.both were good looking deer that will score very high.cCongratulations to these hunters.
I ran into three different groups of archery hunters during my two day trip,I had conversations with two of these hunters, one group of hunters told me of a buck they had hit and could not recover the day before,They showed me a photo of the buck and we figured it would score 200- 205".On there defense they said they hunted hard to find the hit deer with no luck.
One of the other hunters I talked to, said he had been hunting all week,He told me he had hit( two different deer)One that was in his words a really big deer,And he could not find either one of these deer!!. I was at his camp at 2;00 in the afternoon on one of the days he had wounded on of these deer.
Both groups of hunters were out pursuing more deer and had intentions of hunting the entire archery season!!.I can only hope they use better shot tactics.
Now im not judging either one of these groups of hunters,And I do realize that these things do happen on any kind of hunting adventure.
The Utah Archery deer hunt opens on August 19-September 15- 4 Weeks!!!
Does the hunting season need to be a month long for archery hunts?Cant they shorten the season, Maybe hunters would be more patient before letting the shot of a lifetime fly. My opinion.
Why are you out on a premier deer unit interfering with guys that have waited a long time to draw the tag? You're not judging anybody but yet you are on a public forum judging them? Stay home.

Why are you

Why are you out on a premier deer unit interfering with guys that have waited a long time to draw the tag? You're not judging anybody but yet you are on a public forum judging them? Stay home.
So now the bow hunters not only get a month to hunt, but no one is allowed to go on these units and recreate while guys are archery hunting.

So now the bow hunters not only get a month to hunt, but no one is allowed to go on these units and recreate while guys are archery hunting.
You must be meaning the rifle elk hunt in the middle of the rut with no other hunts going on, the archery hunt stopped so rifle guys have it all to themselves to kill rut crazed bulls with gun? That must be the hunt you're thinking of?

Oh my goodness!!! I am getting some serious pushback here on my numbers and I will admit I only threw them out there after thinking about it for 30 seconds or so. These are the amended figures.

Wounded and non-recovered deer and elk on rifle hunts. 5% to 15%

Wounded and non-recovered deer and elk on archery hunts. 25% to 35%

Don’t try to tell me it’s under 25% especially on mature bulls.

Why are you

I am sorry I wasn't aware public land is only public land when the Henry's archery hunt is not going on.

I am sorry I wasn't aware public land is only public land when the Henry's archery hunt is not going on.

I hate to agree with him, BUTTTT, it is a dick move. You can't ban anything, but there is a segment of dudes who purposely "recreate" in places they know dudes are hunting. Same dudes who "needed" to check their trail cams on season openers at first light.

I hate to agree with him, BUTTTT, it is a dick move. You can't ban anything, but there is a segment of dudes who purposely "recreate" in places they know dudes are hunting. Same dudes who "needed" to check their trail cams on season openers at first light.
The post "bigwiffy" is referring too "bucks" does not mention a thing about being out screwing up the hunt for anyone.
Have you guys been to the Henry's no one gets far from their sideXside, you don't have too there is better Spotting from the road than from out in the bush.
You can go down there any giving weekend and there are not 10 guys recreating down there, it's not the Manti or Fish Lake.
Guys recreating down there might keep someone honest.

The post "bigwiffy" is referring too "bucks" does not mention a thing about being out screwing up the hunt for anyone.
Have you guys been to the Henry's no one gets far from their sideXside, you don't have too there is better Spotting from the road than from out in the bush.
You can go down there any giving weekend and there are not 10 guys recreating down there, it's not the Manti or Fish Lake.
Guys recreating down there might keep someone honest.

I'm talking more general.

I'll be sure to be out on the rifle hunt making sure you all are taking ethical shots, pull up next to you ask what you're looking at, follow you around and make sure everything is ok. Do some recreating, just to make sure you guys don't wound anything. Every year there is always a group of anti archery boobs that spew their BS stats, opinions, and jealousy. Lame.

I'll be sure to be out on the rifle hunt making sure you all are taking ethical shots, pull up next to you ask what you're looking at, follow you around and make sure everything is ok. Do some recreating, just to make sure you guys don't wound anything. Every year there is always a group of anti archery boobs that spew their BS stats, opinions, and jealousy. Lame.
Would you like my coordinates?

I like boobs :)) but hate the Subarus they drive haha. Good luck in Colorado.

It’s definitely fall.

I smell romance in the air (particularly between Bucks and wiffy)

Just remember guys, if it floats, flys or F&$ks….. rent it.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom