Area 93 Antelope

RoadlessHunter

Does this unit hold 80"+ antelope? Does this unit have decent public land to hunt? I was just wondering because, I haven't seen very many post asking about this unit. I would just be happy to draw a tag. I have never hunted antelope.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-15 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]LOL at Zeke! It would appear that many people think 93 is good since it took 6PPs last year in the Regular Draw to be assured of a tag. Most units can probably produce an 80" buck, but they aren't behind every bush in what most consider the top 5 units in the state every year and finding even one in most units probably takes more time than most people have to spare that are still working for a living.

Using 80" gross score as a benchmark and considering two things: first that you are hunting a top ten area and second, and very important, can you judge antelope, killing that buck is not a problem inside 4 or 5 days.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-15 AT 06:48PM (MST)[p]Jm77 is correct.
If you've never hunted them, like you said, it'll be darn tough to stay off the trigger since It will be TOUGH for you to tell the difference between a 72" and an 80" buck.
They start looking really good once they reach 70".
What's all the magic about an 80" anyways? Go look over a few hundred animals and shoot the biggest or the one that turns your crank. After you have a few mounted, then worry about an 80"er.
Leave the tape in camp....or better yet, at home.
Zeke

+1 Zeke, especially to that last comment, as this tape and scoring stuff and making the "book" is really getting old! Why can't people just go out and have fun like you said and let it happen and if it doesn't it's no big deal!

LAST EDITED ON May-28-15 AT 08:52PM (MST)[p]I am a resident that lives close to the area. I was just trying to figure out if this area is a top 10. My Wife and I will shoot the first good looking buck we see. I was just wonder is the big boys do exist on this unit. My guess is just getting a tag will be the first obstacle in the hunt process. We put in separate to increase the chance of hunting lopes this year.

>I am a resident that lives
>close to the area.
>I was just trying to
>figure out if this area
>is a top 10. My
>Wife and I will shoot
>the first good looking buck
>we see. I was
>just wonder is the big
>boys do exist on this
>unit. My guess is
>just getting a tag will
>be the first obstacle in
>the hunt process. We
>put in separate to increase
>the chance of hunting lopes
>this year.

I just looked up last years stats for residents and unit 93 had 1170 applicants for 310 tags, so that works out to about a 26.5% chance of drawing for each of you if it stays about the same this year. Good luck as a resident getting the tags you want!

LAST EDITED ON May-28-15 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]RLH,
I've seen what I believe to be 80" bucks in the unit, lots of public but I've heard tell about some private that guys get on but I know nothing about it. I've hunted by the unit for moose so I can tell you NOT to overlook the part of the unit on the west near the forest!
I've also hunted the unit with someone but I didn't have a tag. Good buck down pronto but we had no idea what an 80" buck looked like at the time.
A friend lived near also, for many years, and he and his brother hunted it often and they usually finished with a bow before the rifle started. They shot fine buck every time without tons of effort.
Top ten? I have no idea since I know only a fraction of what some guys know.
I hope I was more specific on answering your questions.
Zeke

With those kind of resident odds in 93, it would be assumed it is a good area.

The area my family has hunted the most over the years usually has leftovers and is not known for quality. Used to be able to hunt up an 80"+ every year, not so much anymore. Drought and over hunting.

We still kill some great old bucks though and have a blast doing it. These are 2014 bucks my daughters killed. That's not a dirty face on the first buck, it's from his scent gland. He was an old warrior! Other buck had worn down teeth too!

7646106712229463057287173573501982819084818568n.jpg

3221103894759463016753844298000623660174524659n.jpg

Nice pictures Jeff! Looks like a really good crew and a couple nice old bucks---Congrats for getting them all out in the field and enjoying the good life!

Yep!
Those are shooter-bucks in about any unit I've hunted.

As pointed out already, a guy needs to look over a bunch so he knows what a good one looks like.

Zeke

93 is popular for many reasons. Growing up in Kemmerer and still hunting the region for Moose, Elk, Deer, jackalope, p-dogs... oh and speed goats it's the probably the "best" unit around there besides driving a little further to the Red Desert units. We kill 75"+ ish antelope pretty easily and it's usually not hard to find a 70" goat anywhere in the unit. The bigger boys exist but they do on most units in SW Wyo really.

What makes 93 the "best" in the region is more along the lines of lots of antelope, plenty of public land, easily accessible and it's a fun hunt. This attracts the resident applicants in the region and that spreads north and west too. From a NR perspective, it's close to northern Utah and only 2-3 hours from the Wasatch Front making it a fun, close hunt for them. You could kill a 80" antelope in 100, 98 and 94 (all surround Kemmerer)... you just might see less in one unit, fight private in another, have a harder time accessing another, etc. It's as green as ever up there so put in, hopefully draw and have a blast, it should be a great year in most of that entire region this year.

I've drawn this tag twice in the 2 years I've put in and was lucky enough to get my first goat last year. There are some big ones that hang out up in the hills but there are also some nice ones down low. I don't how to judge goats I look for something I think is big a go after it.

9651stantelope.jpg

This is my goat from a near by unit. He scored 74" I shot him because I thought he looked cool and I also thought he was big. Big enough for me.

Those are some FINE bucks guys! Thanks for sharing. I feel bad that I didn't even apply this year for pronghorn.

Some of these bucks are proof that they don't need to "tape" out at 80" to be really great trophy bucks.. some I'll bet score over 80".

I love hunting....
Zeke

Robiland---That is an absolutely great goat and anyone should be tickled pink to take one like that no matter what it scores! Congrats and that is a beautiful mount!

I finally drew the unit after 6 years of points. Don't know much about the unit except I have drove through it a few times. Is there any prairie dog hunting in the unit. I might make a few trips out there and justify it by taking the boys to shoot prairie dogs. I did lots of research and it seems to be a good unit, no I just have to start ground truthing it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom