Arrow Grouping

Many people think that you should have an inch per 10 yards, i.e 3" group at 30 yards. That is probably a good starting point, but don't stop there!

I Don't get into arrow grouping like I would my Rifle bullet groups. Once I feel that I have my bow tuned and adjusted for different yardages I like to pick a different spot each time I shoot to see how close I come to it.

I shoot my bow every day, pick a spot, and hit it.

My group plays a game with arrow grouping: 3 arrows at 20-30-40...out to 70 yards. Must stay within 2" at 20, 3"at 30 and so on out to 7" at 70 yards 1 point for each arrow inside the required circle, 18 total points possible. I haven't shot an 18 yet but a couple of 17's.. good fun, and acceptable hunting accuracy.

if my arrows are not with in 2-3'' at 50 I'm not happy. you can always be better.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I hate trying to group arrows! at 160 bucks a dozen they are to dang expensive!
Just Living The Dream

Well I guess I am just not that good. A robin hood now and then is kinda fun. Ya I do refletch fairly often but a vane is relatively cheap.

Depends on what kind of shooting your going to do... As a hunter i think you want to be comfortable hitting vitals from any distance... Don't worry about groups. Target archery... You better be closing that group up.

----------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Spot Hogg Seven Deadly Pin
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
G5 Matreo Strings
"I don't miss, I just don't hit him on purpose"

+1 iliveinthewoods.

If you can walk back to whatever distance your pin is set for and hit vitals, on the FIRST shot, then all is well. If you are shooting target, well that is a different story. You have to be able to repeat that 'money' shot everytime.

I have not shot target archery yet, so I can only guess that is what target archers would say. But when I am tuning up before a hunt, I like to shoot 1 arrow, starting from my farthest pin, everyday and see how I do. How I do at 50 or 60 yards on the first shot of the day is my measuring stick.

JB

Grouping is ok but its hell on fletching, nocks and occasional arrows. My goal is to shoot so much that I'm absolutely confident of my setup and hence each shot seems almost automatic regardless of range. The confidence is WAY important when your adrenaline is pumping and it is not a target you are shooting at .......

Great thread---I am new to archery, one season four animials, but the best advice I have gotten so far is one arrow-make it count at any distance. So, I shoot one arrow at a random distance once in the am and once in the pm with practice during the day. It was very enlighting to me when I started doing this just how different it is when I know I only have one chance even just shooting a 3-d target. The pressure is not even close to shooting a live animal but it is good to simulate the environment as best as can be done.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-09 AT 11:07AM (MST)[p]Here is a couple pictures of my grouping from the other day..I don't have a certain standard, I like a good three arrow group, just as if I was shooting a good three shot rifle group. Anyways, this is 2 arrows at 30 yards, 2 at 40 yards, and 2 at fifty yards.

4a64a4156dbe4d41.jpg

4a64a4386e7227c3.jpg

snipersmilie.gif

one shot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom