AZ Archery Elk Draw Thoughts / Suggestions

Weatherby

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-13 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]I just wanted to get your thoughts, as I'm considering the possibilities of applying this year, for the first time. I know that AZ requires a $150+ license regardless of whether you hunt.

I have a buddy in AZ that is continually suggesting that I apply for 23N, but with 4-6% odds and zero points, I'll probably be in the waiting game for 14+ years for all I know.

If I play the waiting game, and don't hunt AZ each year, I'll probably pay well over $2K in license fees to hunt 23N, before I even draw the tag. I don't know how feasible that is.

I'd prefer to hunt a unit that takes 2-5 years to draw, and maybe I'll try and get to AZ 1-2 times over that 2-5 year period to hunt OTC deer, or something along those lines.

Thoughts / Suggestions for a Non-Resident based in Colorado? Please send me a Private Message!

Thanks much!

Unfortunately, your buddy must be thinking of resident odds when he says 4-6%. As a NR you have zero chance to draw that hunt without a large quantity of points. Probably 30-40 years away for a NR who is just starting today. Hope you get some good info through PM's and good luck to you!

It all depends on what caliber bull you're truly willing to shoot....or let walk. Additionally, you'll increase your odds of drawing if you draw an archery permit. ALL units in AZ will consistently produce bulls in the 300-350" range. If that size bull is what you'd be happy with, then there's no need to build a ton of points, IMO. I've drawn 4 non-resident archery bull elk tags in 19 years. If you study the statistic book published in AZ, you'll get a fairly good idea which units have a higher draw rate (archery).

If you're looking for consistent animals above that mark (350"), you'll need a lot of points to put in for those respective units that have a history of producing that caliber of bulls. 23N is definitely one of those units, as are a few more in the state.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Once you buy your license, then you can get an otc archery deer tag every year and hunt muleys in the rut in january. Can't beat that. For elk you could draw a rut archery elk hunt every 1-5 years in some units. 300 inch bull is more typical in those units, but bigger is possible.

With bonus point creep it will probably take you 20 plus points to draw 23 north. On any given year 23 north archery will spit out 1 or maybe 2 bulls that will go over 370. Most bulls harvested are 320 - 350 at most. If you really think about it your going to wait 20 years or more to have a slim to moderate chance at harvesting a bull over 350 in 23 north with a bow, and maybe a bull up to 390 or so. On the other hand a non resident can draw " other units" that spit out tons of 300- 330 bulls, that still have 350-390 type bulls in them, about every 6 years or so. There are giants in every unit and if scouted properly can produce as good of results as any of the top end units without a doubt. So lets think about this, wait for 20 plus years to get 1 tag in 23 north that most likely will produce a bull around 350, or 3 tags (3 chances) in the same time frame to kill a bull over 350 and quite possibly a couple of big bulls. If you talk with anybody that actually has a long history in 23 north and has kept track of what bulls are ACTUALLY being harvested in 23 north on the archery hunts, you will find that its not really that easy in any of the units including 9 or 23 north, and that some of the easier less desirable units are not really that inferior to the grand dadies like 9, 10, and 23north. 3 tags in the same time period or 1 tag on fantasy island, depending on time you have to scout, that is the question!!!!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom