AZ Desert Sheep Bonus Point Question

bighorn191

If I were to complete the Hunter Ed. class in mid-April this year, would I get a bonus point that would count for the upcoming sheep draw this year? It would bump me up to 16 as a NR for sheep and I also like the idea of getting the permanent BP for other species as well. Thanks for the input.

Yep it would. As long as you have passed the class before you apply it will count. Sounds like you will if the class is in mid april.

Just got off the phone with the office about this very question.. has to be entered into their computers 30 days before the draw deadline..
The point wont show online, but it will be there. After the draws come and go, and AG&F updates the website, it will then show.

I'm gonna do the online class, then knock out the 4 hr field course ASAP. I need that extra point as well.

With that point, you will only need like 1000 more to be in the draw! Maybe when I turn 100 I will have a chance...good luck on both!

Dude, Ive known 4 guys draw with 5 points or less over the years.. And ALL got their sheep.. So, that extra point could be my ticket to that tag.. And you'll NEVER draw if ya dont play! Just stackin' the odds in my favor. no matter how small those odds may be!

i got 18 points my dada has 20. still nothing for us. i talked to a guy that got drawn with 7 points for same area i apply

I have a buddy who moved here, waited the time to be a resident, applied once, and drew a 15d tag. He shot a 160 class ram. So your righ about the pionts, but odds are that you will be waiting a while......

Bighorn 191:

Just in case you're interested, here's the breakdown on the bonus points where you are at and up.

Don't know if you're a resident or not, that does make a huge difference.

Look at these numbers going into this year's draw and then get your butt in the Hunter Ed class..Every point does count!

Resident Non-Resident
16 312 129
17 272 93
18 267 69
19 295 38
20 305 11

Sheep have the largest amount of sportsmen in the upper end of the bonus point pool.

But others are right, lots of folks have been drawn with a lot less point than you have.

Good luck and good hunting!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Thanks Don, I am a NR and I can't believe I am still so far behind after all these years. I emailed you a week ago or more about getting in your class on the 18th in Kingman. I have taken a hunter ed class after 1/1/1980 in Colorado. If I fly down for the class, will it count for this years sheep draw? Do you have space in the class still?

Bighorn 191:

I still have room in the class and yes, it will count this year!

That's why the we're doing it on the 18th, that is the last day we can do a class and still make sure that those who take it get credit in the upcoming deer/sheep draw.

FYI, that bonus point won't show up immediately on your G&F record of bonus points, but believe me, it will be there!

I have all of the sheep data (and other big game too) and that is one thing we will go over in the Hunter Ed class.

If you want to see the odds of drawing any sheep tag or a premium deer tag north of the "Ditch" go to Hunters Trailhead.com and follow the prompts for the species and unit you're looking at, and you'll get the odds based on 2008 data.

See 'ya in a couple of weeks!

Don Martin

Can someone confirm if this is correct, since the bonus point pass percentage is broken up for the species of sheep rather than by hunt code there would be no point in applying for a unit with only one tag if you have less than max points.

First of all, if you're a non-resident, you can't even apply for a sheep tag in units with less than two permits...

As to the other part of your question, I don;t know, but I'm going to send it to G&F and ask them..

Don Martin

Is there any way to track NR points for those who have always been a NR? I thought I got into this game very early and I can't believe there is a group with 4 years on me...they have to be resdients that moved out of state later. Anyone know when the bonus point system was started for sheep?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom